Time to read

Anyone that’s obsessed with fly fishing and/or see the pursuit lasting a lifetime will want to own all of the guide books.

Wolf
Armstrong
Sanja
Landis
Keystone Book
Gazetteer
Meck

If your really cheap or just not sure- I’ve got a deal for you. Try your LIBRARY!!!! FREE!!!!

For example ;in Allegheny County all of the local municipalities library’s which there to be at least 50 connected on the Internet and you can order books from all over delivered to your library for free there’s got to be at least 100 fly fishing books available in Allegheny County. Give it a try in your area.

People are forgetting.

100 Pennsylvania Streams and how to fish them.
Can be hard to find.

acristickid wrote:
Anyone that’s obsessed with fly fishing and/or see the pursuit lasting a lifetime will want to own all of the guide books.

Wolf
Armstrong
Sanja
Landis
Keystone Book
Gazetteer
Meck

If your really cheap or just not sure- I’ve got a deal for you. Try your LIBRARY!!!! FREE!!!!

For example ;in Allegheny County all of the local municipalities library’s which there to be at least 50 connected on the Internet and you can order books from all over delivered to your library for free there’s got to be at least 100 fly fishing books available in Allegheny County. Give it a try in your area.

Your local library can get can books not just from your regional library system, but from anywhere in the US, including university libraries.

I've found obscure old books about fishing in the Adirondacks and in West Virginia in the 1800s, that came in from other states. Free!!

A good use of inter-library loan is to read Vanishing Trout by Charles Lose. This is a real classic about northcentral PA trout fishing.

And copies are hard to find, and expensive, i.e. around $200. But you can ask your local library to get it for you to read.

I bought a 1993 reprint of The Vanishing Trout ten years ago for $60. I just checked Amazon and they had one for $283. I can only imagine what an original 1931 copy would bring.

There is presently a copy of "The Vanishing Trout" (1993 edition) listed on the Classic Fly Fisherman website for $40.00. This book really gives a great look at n/c PA prior to its being logged off completely. IMO, it is well worth the money, and I am surprised it hasn't already been picked off by someone.

I still cant believe i found that book at Green Dragon for 6 bucks.

When I was looking to read Vanishing Trout - around 10 years ago - our local library couldn't get it in for me.
They did locate one at the huge Carnegie Library in Oakland. And I went out to inquire about it.
Was told that it couldn't be taken out, but I could read it in house.
I'm guessing it was an original copy.

So I spent several enjoyable sunday afternoons there checking it out.

wildtrout2 wrote:
I bought a 1993 reprint of The Vanishing Trout ten years ago for $60. I just checked Amazon and they had one for $283. I can only imagine what an original 1931 copy would bring.

I think I own three copies - two originals and one reprint. I don't think I paid more than $50 for either of my originals and I think I may have bought the reprint from Dwight off Ebay :) My kids will probably sell them at Green Dragon for $6 a piece. Just because Amazon has one listed for $283 doesn't mean that's what they are worth. If it's still listed, then no one is interested in purchasing it at that price. I usually use Ebay's sold feature to determine what someone was actually willing to pay for something, versus what sites have them listed for. None have sold recently, but there are four original editions listed from between $110-295. So the actual value is probably somewhere under $100, since those copies are not moving.

Another example of this pricing issue is Klimkos' A Histry of Trout Unlimited and the Environmental Movement in Pennsylvania. There's a copy listed on Amazon for $993 (plus $3.99 shipping!!!). You can buy a copy from PATU for $15, with tax and shipping included. I still don't understand some of these hyperinflated offerings on Amazon or Ebay. No one in their right mind is buying them and I don't understand what the seller gets out of them.

For those that are commenting about some of the guides being outdated, what information is outdated? I can see that stream access may have been lost and some hatches may have been disappeared. But I'm guessing most streams are still there..

I don't yet have the Keystone book, but will soon. Somewhat ironically, I tried to buy a copy of Wentzel's limestone book from PATU last week, but it was out of stock and they asked if they could sub the Keystone book, so I agreed to that.

I bought my 1993 reprint copy of "The Vanishing Trout" by Charles Lose at Fly fishers Fly Shop in State College. Must be about 15 years ago. I think I payed about $20/25 for it. Great book!

If anyone would wish to inquire there is a 1993 copy available for sale at "The Liberty Book Store" in Avis Pa. Linda has it priced at $110.

The one im looking at on Amazon that is 200+ is a 1931 edition and likely does justify the price.

I’ve seen Dwight’s book for as much as $225 on Amazon. I’ve heard that comes with a one day guided trip and a shore lunch. Maybe Dwight can confirm :)

I haven’t read my copy yet. I have about 25-30 fly fishing or tying books that I’ve stockpiled for a time when my life slows down. Still hasn’t happened yet. When I break a leg my problem will be solved.

I got my first edition copy of the "Vanishing Trout" for well under $100 at the Angler's Pro Shop" when Bill Hayes owned it. He was liquidating someone's collection. I bought a bunch of other great titles as well.

Another book worth checking out is "The Determined Angler and the Brook Trout" by Charles Bradford which "spot burns" more than a few Pocono streams around 1900.

I was given a 1916 edition decades ago by a buddy in Brooklyn and I spent a lot of time trying to find & fish the creeks mentioned before the days of online mapping, GPS and PA Fish Commission lists...

You can read it free here.

Bamboozle wrote:
I got my first edition copy of the "Vanishing Trout" for well under $100 at the Angler's Pro Shop" when Bill Hayes owned it. He was liquidating someone's collection. I bought a bunch of other great titles as well.

Another book worth checking out is "The Determined Angler and the Brook Trout" by Charles Bradford which "spot burns" more than a few Pocono streams around 1900.

I was given a 1916 edition decades ago by a buddy in Brooklyn and I spent a lot of time trying to find & fish the creeks mentioned before the days of online mapping, GPS and PA Fish Commission lists...

You can read it free here.
Any insight on the strange title changes and size of this book?

Versions from 1900, 1906, 1970, 2005 are titled “ The Brook Trout and the Determined Angler”

1906 edition 71 pages
1916 116 pages

Versions from 1916, 2009, 2015, 2016, 2018, 2020 is titled “The Determined Angler and the Brook Trout”.

2015 edition 130 pages
2016 92 pages
2018 208 pages
2020 116 pages

I never saw those variants.

My copy is from 1916 and has 161 pages. It is about 6" X 4" with a light blue hardbound cover. It has no dust-jacket.

It is the same copy I linked to here.

mute wrote:
I'm not really using the books to "gain" any knowledge. It's just interesting to read about what someonev else thinks of describes about areas I know of or have already done updated research about. To me they're reading materials about something I enjoy, not any secret intel.

All non-fiction reading is about gaining knowledge, otherwise it's bubblegum for the brain.

Prospector wrote:
I’ve seen Dwight’s book for as much as $225 on Amazon. I’ve heard that comes with a one day guided trip and a shore lunch. Maybe Dwight can confirm :)

You'd have to ask the person who created the listing.

Who might live in another country and who may not possess a copy of the book.

When you see a book listed for far more than the normal price, in many cases they are scammers referred to as "cross listers" who use automated software that searches out listings, then creates a listing for the cross lister which adds a tidy profit to the original listing.

When someone orders from the cross lister, he orders from the original seller and tells them to ship the book to the customer.

That way the cross lister makes a profit, without ever handling the book, without carrying any inventory, without buying packing supplies, without any labor in packing and shipping.

Buyer beware!

Back