Time to read

C'mon Mute those are required buying for your first year of fly fishing . I actually keep Dwight's book in the pouch behind my passengers seat of my car for just in case scenarios.

Book on left 10/10
Book on right.....meh

Both books contain outdated information, which makes them both inaccurate about some waters. I would say the information in them is pretty much equal, though. The book on the left is, IMO, written more consistently than the other, while the other is more attractive. Either one could be helpful at some point.

IMO, the best book of this type I know of is Mike Sajna's "Pennsylvania Trout and Salmon Fishing Guide," which has been out of print for a long time and contains even more outdated information than the two in the photo. However, he included a lot of interesting historical anecdotes in his book. You might be able to find it on a secondary market.

I wouldn't say "meh" to the second book, at any rate.

austinbooks.com and independent booksellers online both offer Sajna's book for ten dollars. Prices on Amazon are outrageous. Even being outdated, it's worth ten bucks.

I'm not really using the books to "gain" any knowledge. It's just interesting to read about what someonev else thinks of describes about areas I know of or have already done updated research about. To me they're reading materials about something I enjoy, not any secret intel.

Both books are excellent with useful maps and my copies are well worn.

Even if you aren't using them to plan trips (this is their main value) they make good winter reading and are a pleasant reminder of the vast amount of rivers and streams in the different regions of our state. Enjoy.

Charles Meck's books are also outdated but are interesting reads. I traveled the state with a Gazetteer and his one book. Fished a lot of places. Overall the places in Mecks book are a shadow of what they once we're. I met him once on the stream and had a nice talk. RIP Meck.

Dwight's book is a reference for many streams, from mediocre to excellent and is about as comprehensive of a book as you are going to find on the subject. The Keystone book is more a best-streams book in nature. Both have good info on some overlooked waters, the Keystone book puts a few of those less talked about streams front and center, rubbing some people the wrong way. I know that was my reaction when I got my copy.

:lol:
I have my own issues with that book so i didnt buy it. I do find it interesting that some of those that gripe incessantly about spot burning own and use these books.
Good Stuff!
:lol:

Here's two good resources (still helpful today) to add to your list:

https://www.amazon.com/Trout-Unlimited-Pennsylvania-Limestone-Streams/dp/0811716511

https://www.amazon.com/Pennsylvania-Limestone-Trout-Creeks-Analytical/dp/1976140846/ref=pd_lpo_14_t_1/144-9671972-6531119?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=1976140846&pd_rd_r=c0c80704-6a71-45c8-b1d0-b5206352a91f&pd_rd_w=Rw6bb&pd_rd_wg=nqMtu&pf_rd_p=7b36d496-f366-4631-94d3-61b87b52511b&pf_rd_r=P5T5KG5R0MWZS9XZX9J1&psc=1&refRID=P5T5KG5R0MWZS9XZX9J1

Meck and the Keystone book have passed a good while on my commode. Both were enjoyable and informative, and I'll certainly keep my eye out for the Landis.

Isn't it a little unfair to criticize the Keystone book for uneven writing when so many folks contributed? Kinda the nature of the beast.

To h-o-m,

Whoops. Sorry to be unfair and so insensitive. Guess it was just the nature of the beast.

I'm not sure your commode comment is any more sensitive. (Some might take it that you were using the pages in lieu of t.p. during the pandemic! :) )

So, you see how comments can be misconstrued.

For others: This type of book can be helpful, and both books could be useful at times, even though some info. is outdated.

I'd still recommend, for reading pleasure with this type of book, that you seek Sajna's guide.

The second book is typical of a lot of todays outdoor writing endeavors and reeks of ego and some commercial agenda beyond just appreciation of fish and fishing. That is just my take. A bit too flashy for my taste. Of course I am a dinosaur when it comes to fishing and reading these days. I will be looking for Sajna's book again. I know I have it somewhere in my dusty, cluttered room.

Lark,

This is off the original topic.

Anyhow, as a fellow dinosaur, I am a sucker for books by the "Old guys." I just bought and read Wetzel's "Practical Fly Fishing" and Lamb's "The Fishing's Only Part of It." It's amazing how new ff "inventions" aren't. Wetzel speaks of using a dry fly as an indicator, among other things, in his book first published in 1943. Lamb's vignettes are often poetic. I'll re-read each over the next few years, I imagine.

If you find Sajna's book, I think you'll enjoy the historical anecdotes.

rrt- I hear that. I love the old stuff.

Back