Time to get out

Status
Not open for further replies.
When ice makes it's impenetrable mark on the streams, anglers focus more of their time fly tying, bantering about spot burning and taking advantage of the upcoming outdoor shows. Like in years past these shows provide a good opportunity to see much of the new waders, boots, rods, reels and fly tying gear. As for me it is a good chance to escape from a little cabin fever.

mikeheck.jpg
Mike Heck, Orvis Trout Guide, fly fishing instructor and author of "Spring Creek Strategies" will be participating in several of these shows. Mike will be providing fly tying demonstrations and signing books at Somerset and Philadelphia Fly Fishing Shows. "I love meeting up with people at these shows. Especially all the people I normally am only able to converse with online," says Mike. He will also be helping out at the National Capital TU Chapter Angling show in March as well.

The Fly Fishing Show in Somerset, New Jersey has been a big success for many years and will showcase other notables as Bob Clouser, Lefty Kreh, Dave Whitlock and Eric Stroup. Like Mike, I look forward to getting to the show this week to meet up with folks from across the region. The Somerset Fly Fishing Show is this weekend, January 21-23, 2011.

yourwifecalled.jpg
New this year is the The Fly Fishing Show in Philadelphia. The show will be held in the Valley Forge Convention Center on Saturday, March 5 and Sunday, March 6. Similar in arrangements as the Somerset show; loaded with gear, guides and all the best fly fishing offerings in the region.

The Eastern Sport & Outdoor Show is one of the biggest outdoor shows on the East Coast if not North America and attracts tens of thousands of visitors during the week. Fly Fishing is a very small part of this show, but not to worry it is quite the spectacle for any outdoor enthusiast. With well over 1,200 exhibitors, all the hunting, fishing vendors and exhibits makes for quite a show. Everything from taxidermy and fly tying competitions, predator calling contest, to a kids casting pond can be found. Plenty for everyone to see. The weekends can get pretty crowded.

tom_sadler.jpg
In March the oldest fly fishing show in the nation is held by the National Capital Chapter of Trout Unlimited in Washington, DC. The 36th Annual National Capital Angling Show is a one day event, all-volunteer event supported by many outstanding avid fly-fishers and anglers. Matt Supinski, Mark Kovach and Dave "Old Lefty" Rothrock are just a few in attendance and presenting. I am looking forward to Tom Sadler as he will be demonstrating and sharing techniques in Tenkara fly fishing this year.

If none of these suit your fancy you can always host your own conclave with some friends. The guys out in Western Pennsylvania are setting up another Western PA Wild trout and Sandwich Symposium for February found here. Yinz guys are dew'nit' right!

The Fly Fishing Show
Somerset, NJ
Garden State Convention Center
January 21, 22, 23 2011
Show Hours: Fri 10 - 6; Sat 8:30 - 6:00; Sun 9 - 4:30

The Fly Fishing Show
Philadelphia, PA
Valley Forge Convention Center 
March 5 & 6 2011
Show Hours: Sat 9 - 6:00; Sun 9 - 4:30

Eastern Sport & Outdoor Show
Harrisburg, PA