TIMBER RATTLESNAKES #2

Farmerdave, your on it brother. Ginseng, tastes like chicken!

Took me awhile but I was wondering where I’ve been reminded of ole maxi- then it struck me as I watched Blazing Saddles. Thanks Mel!

https://youtu.be/96SaTcCccJc
96SaTcCccJc

That's me. Perfect!

He must be Mongo.

Years ago, my dad was fishing Benner Run, a small trib to the lower end of the Black Moshannon in Centre County. He was sliding along a bank that was at eye level. He happened to turn toward the bank when he came upon a rattlesnake at eye level within striking distance. He let himself fall straight back into the stream. As far as he knew, the snake did not attempt a strike.

We were in Cooks Run, Clinton County a couple weeks ago working. Ran into 2 rattlers together, assumed a mating pair. We had unknowingly walked right by them about a half an hour before another group found them. Lucky we didn't get struck since we didn't have chaps on.

Few pics from this season, all released unharmed.

Attachments

• 5678E739-F9F2-4FD0-B64E-5ACF933DE2FD.jpeg
    5678E739-F9F2-4FD0-B64E-5ACF933DE2FD.jpeg
    41.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 377CEC44-1CEC-4AD2-BBE8-64D6DB114F15.jpeg
    377CEC44-1CEC-4AD2-BBE8-64D6DB114F15.jpeg
    236.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 081AE6B8-1BFC-46C3-AC6B-1CF5D6A4CAFD.jpeg
    081AE6B8-1BFC-46C3-AC6B-1CF5D6A4CAFD.jpeg
    57.4 KB · Views: 4
  • E9AF4CC8-C852-47B4-BBC9-7D5A3475039B.jpeg
    E9AF4CC8-C852-47B4-BBC9-7D5A3475039B.jpeg
    52.9 KB · Views: 4
  • A05FC5B9-59DB-43EB-B5D6-F319DDEE906C.jpeg
    A05FC5B9-59DB-43EB-B5D6-F319DDEE906C.jpeg
    53.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 0C623B33-21B8-4671-A147-FB5D7BDD0829.jpeg
    0C623B33-21B8-4671-A147-FB5D7BDD0829.jpeg
    126 KB · Views: 3
Mote, the one in the tube 48" or better? Absolutely beautiful Pa. nature. Way to go Bro! Nice, nice, nice! Boy, that big one coiled up, makes me want to put my chefs apron on! 2 bottles wine, I cup for snake and rest for me!

Some nice piles of snakes there.

Wow great photos Mote! I've actually been tasked at work with making a safety presentation for the offices on timbers. Would you mind if I used your photos or could you even send me the larger ones? They're some great close up photos. If anyone has some good photos or stories/facts they wouldn't mind me using shoot them my way

Why are some of them darker than others? Does it have something to do with shedding skin?

drakeking412 wrote:
Wow great photos Mote! I've actually been tasked at work with making a safety presentation for the offices on timbers. Would you mind if I used your photos or could you even send me the larger ones? They're some great close up photos. If anyone has some good photos or stories/facts they wouldn't mind me using shoot them my way
I sent you a PM.

allthingsfishing wrote:
Why are some of them darker than others? Does it have something to do with shedding skin?
There’s 2 different colors phases, yellow and black. They don’t change. Whichever color they’re born is what they’ll always be.

maxima12 wrote:
Mote, the one in the tube 48" or better? Absolutely beautiful Pa. nature. Way to go Bro! Nice, nice, nice! Boy, that big one coiled up, makes me want to put my chefs apron on! 2 bottles wine, I cup for snake and rest for me!
The one in the tube was 51”.

Thank you guys for putting this topic up on here. It gave me an idea for my weekly column. I called it "Rattlesnakes Are Your Friends," though I was not quite as enamored with the snakes as you guys are.

Also, Mote, I think you're a little "nuts" for catching and handling them so easily. I wouldn't go out of my way to harm a rattler, but I would certainly not go up to one and handle it as you do. I think that's one reason that I've lived to be nearly 70!

Anyhow, interesting topic.

I had to come back on this, one more time! Reason: This fellow Mote! What a great outdoorsman and a perfect teacher to all. Notice his complete calmness in the handling of the Serpent. How about that look, "no big deal, no problem". Cool hand Mote!

His teachings should empower everyone to see the true meaning of nature! Dangerous, yes but gentle to the right person! I believe he is the right person at the perfect time, who shows all of us the natural world and the man made world can coexist with each other. By example showing each can be managed with respect and diginity.

Notice how relaxed the Serpent is, in the right hands of a perfect handler. And we all must note! Let them go unharmed!

No more beatings with sticks, rocks, running over them. Just a simple nod and a little space to walk around the Serpent and both live happily ever after!

This guy Mote, your call, what you think he is! My call, "hero".

maxima12

maxima12 wrote:
I had to come back on this, one more time! Reason: This fellow Mote! What a great outdoorsman and a perfect teacher to all. Notice his complete calmness in the handling of the Serpent. How about that look, "no big deal, no problem". Cool hand Mote!

His teachings should empower everyone to see the true meaning of nature! Dangerous, yes but gentle to the right person! I believe he is the right person at the perfect time, who shows all of us the natural world and the man made world can coexist with each other. By example showing each can be managed with respect and diginity.

Notice how relaxed the Serpent is, in the right hands of a perfect handler. And we all must note! Let them go unharmed!

No more beatings with sticks, rocks, running over them. Just a simple nod and a little space to walk around the Serpent and both live happily ever after!

This guy Mote, your call, what you think he is! My call, "hero".

maxima12
Far from hero but thanks for the complement, lol. I’ve handled hundreds of timbers and very rarely are they aggressive. If they are they usually have a reason to be such as shedding. They can’t see well while shedding and are a bit more aggresive for that reason. Most of the time they just want to get away from you and be left alone. Copperheads are much more aggressive in my experience but are beautiful creatures as well. I have hundreds of photos but it takes me too long to downsize them to put them all on here. I wish more folks would take the time to observe them and realize there’s no reason to kill them. I see way too many on back roads that are intentionally ran over.

Saw this beauty in Sproul State forest while walking a Pipeline up there for work. Just one of a few we saw but twas the biggest by far.

Attachments

• rsz_20190807_134727 (1).jpg
    rsz_20190807_134727 (1).jpg
    288 KB · Views: 6
NPflychucker wrote:
Saw this beauty in Sproul State forest while walking a Pipeline up there for work. Just one of a few we saw but twas the biggest by far.
That is a beautiful snake! Three of the four rattlers I've seen were also in Sproul State Forest. I saw a black phase on SGL this summer in Carbon county.
It's funny, before my first encounter with a rattlesnake I was paranoid, and actually a bit worried. Mainly because I spend so much time in their habitat, and knew it was only a matter of time until I saw one. I also knew it would probably be a close encounter, that's where it bothered me!

But, after I saw my first couple, I realized that they are very docile if left alone. The first three I saw didn't rattle, because I saw them before being right on top of them. But, the one I saw earlier this summer did rattle, because if it didn't, I would have stepped on him. I was walking through a rocky area choked with thick ferns, and I couldn't actually see the ground. It was maybe 2-3 feet in front of me! He buzzed, but I just saw the tail, then went around him.

I believe pretty much the only way you're getting bitten by one is to actually step on him, or otherwise mess with him. In which case you deserve whatever comes your way.

Stepping on one wouldn't be so hard to do as an accident. Incredibly bad luck. But it could happen to someone who isn't trying to mess with one.

Back