TIMBER RATTLESNAKES #2

M

maxima12

I try to keep involved, age getting the best of me. Some useful facts.

2nd Saturday in June , Till July 31. Season. $25.00 resident, $50.00 non resident. Rattler at least 42 inches! Small, 48 to 52 very nice! Always liked the yellow phase best, got one copper phased! What a beauty. Gave hide to a friend, Bill Haney, lived in a wheelchair, for long as I remember. He cried! A magnificent specimen. Old pal gone now! What a true loss to the great outdoors.

Here is the deal, 21 or more subcaudal scales, from the vent to the tail. This means not a female. Oh yea! You have to turn the snake over, grab him and start your count. Rattlers are strong. All Muscle, and like to put a squeeze on your arm. It will make the sweat run into your eyes. The intense moment of capture, the thrill, the adrenalin, the flow of nature, the absolute feeling of being alone, The Pause, admire the true beauty of the serpent! Don't do this! You squeeze so tight at behind the head, you will hurt the creature and most likely it will die!

Clear tubing, slid over the head, allows snake to get oxygen, stays a little calmer, allows handler to check scales and if not wanted, allows snake to go back to a normal life,
Un hurt!
Shooting a rattler with a gun is illegal, There is a clause of life and limb! Nobody dies from a pa. rattler bite. Knew men that were bitten and went back to work next day. On the Tioga Hammond Lake. Swollen, black arms, legs, etc. No fear! But remember, these boys were a wild, tough bunch! A rugged brew! Sweat and fortune was the goal!

Did it, most likely wont again! Puderbaugh MT. between Salladsburg and Waterville, Ramsey Run Lookout a favorite of mine. Gas Junkies, I feel have ruined my beloved. This is when I was on the hunt. Above young womens, powerline, great! Rock Run, Lycoming county, Top vista, great! Days gone by, great to hear about the most beautiful! THE SERPENT, THE BLACK DEVIL, YELLOW DEATH, THE DEVIL!

Maxima12

Timber Rattlers are amazing critters and I respect them. I cherish them everytime I run into one. I certainly have no desire to catch, kill, or harm one though. They can just keep on living and so will I.

Jifigz, my brother! Alert and well as always!

Maxima12

Oddly, although I've had dozens of snake encounters never a rattler. Been struck on the head twice by black snakes. (Had a hat on.) Had at least four black snakes within inches of my face. Been struck on the boot by black and water snakes. Once by a copperhead. Shot a copperhead that was between my feet as I was taking a ****. (Stepped from bright sunlight into a shadow and didn't wait for my eyes to adjust.)

Kinda look forward to finding a rattler in the wild but not as close as my usual encounters.

Have an interesting story about a corn snake. My son's "pet". I was taking him to college and the snake was going too. Well we got to PSU and the snake was not in the terrarium. Loose in an Expedition. We took everything out and searched but no sign. This was on a Saturday and my mother lived nearby. I suggested we go to her house, bought some mice, and placed in a cage in the back hoping to lure the snake from wherever. No luck.

So took my son back to PSU and went home. This was in August and I knew once the snake died it would stink to high heaven. Good thing it's my wife's car. Once I got home I started figuring that wasn't a good idea. Started taking the Expedition apart. It had the rear air conditioner so lot's of areas for a critter to hide. I had taken out the rear seats and was tackling the next section when I noticed a movement over my shoulder. The snake had come out from wherever it was hiding. Attracted by the sound of the ratchet. So the snake was saved along with my marriage.

Franklin, your story reminded me of one of my own from when I was in my teens.

I was helping a neighbor bale hay. We did those kind of things back in the day. Besides, I had a bit of a crush on one of their daughters (farmer's daughter;-)). Neighbors wife actually drove the truck to the farm.

My job was to help gather bails from the field, and load them on the back of the pickup. While doing so, I caught a rat snake about 4 ft long and showed it to her. She said, put it in the truck. I asked where, and she said, just let it go in the cab.

Huh? A 4 foot rat snake loose in the truck? Even if it doesn't cop an attitude and just finds a hiding place up inside the seats, how do you plan to get it out?

She said she will just park the truck in the barn with the doors open and it will find it's way out.

I can't say I didn't think about that 4 foot snake loose in the cab on the way home, but if it didn't bother her, I wasn't letting it bother me.

She was one tough farmers wife. She was also an EMT, and helped put my thumb back togher on another occasion, but that is another story.;-)

Interesting. I always wanted to go snake hunting. Thanks!

I've seen snake mounts and hides mounted on decorative boards. How else are the hides used - besides belts, watch bands, etc. ???

foxfire wrote:
Interesting. I always wanted to go snake hunting. Thanks!

I've seen snake mounts and hides mounted on decorative boards. How else are the hides used - besides belts, watch bands, etc. ???

My first thought was that the snakes find their skin very useful. ;-)

I'm personally not into hunting snakes, and appreciate the role they fill in nature. But as long as it is legal, who am I to criticize.

To answer your question, I've seen them used as hat bands.

You could probably use them anywhere that leather is used, including boots... provided you have enough or your feet are small.

But both of those probably fall under "etc."

I know! Steering wheel cover?

Traditional bowhunters put them on their bows. People who make self bows use a lot of snake skins for their bows.

Hat band would be pretty cool. Thanks!

FarmerDave wrote:
Franklin, your story reminded me of one of my own from when I was in my teens.

I was helping a neighbor bale hay. We did those kind of things back in the day. Besides, I had a bit of a crush on one of their daughters (farmer's daughter;-)). Neighbors wife actually drove the truck to the farm.

My job was to help gather bails from the field, and load them on the back of the pickup. While doing so, I caught a rat snake about 4 ft long and showed it to her. She said, put it in the truck. I asked where, and she said, just let it go in the cab.

Huh? A 4 foot rat snake loose in the truck? Even if it doesn't cop an attitude and just finds a hiding place up inside the seats, how do you plan to get it out?

She said she will just park the truck in the barn with the doors open and it will find it's way out.

I can't say I didn't think about that 4 foot snake loose in the cab on the way home, but if it didn't bother her, I wasn't letting it bother me.

She was one tough farmers wife. She was also an EMT, and helped put my thumb back togher on another occasion, but that is another story.;-)

Another of my snake stories: There is a Fish Commission lake in Snyder county named Walker lake. Formed by damming up a stream that flowed next to an old stone quarry. Depending on the water level there is a rock wall on one shore with a bit of a ledge about a foot wide along the wall. It goes quite a way to deep water. Thinking I could go our the ledge and get to deep water, thus fish the rock debris that is undoubtedly down below holding fish. Traversing the rock ledge required inching along with my weight against the rock wall.

About 100 feet along the wall in fairly deep water. (And at this time of fall fairly cold.) I came to a spot on the ledge especially narrow which required me to put my face almost against the wall and push forward to maintain balance. At that instant I looked into a hole in the wall at eye height which had a very large snake staring into my eyes. I had a ball cap on and tilted my head down so any strike would go against the hat. And a strike did come. Right on the Phillies logo. I was in a position that I either had to take a swim or continue out from shore along the wall. Too cold to swim. I got to the spot I had wanted to fish from and proceeded to fish for about an hour. Caught a few bass.

But my mind continued to be occupied with how to get back across the snake hole. All of a sudden I realize I had the answer at hand. My rod. I proceeded back towards shore and when I got to the snake hole I tied on a small hook. Dangled it in front of the hole and caught my first snake. A very large rat snake. A slight tug and he was in the lake. Cut the leader and journeyed on home.

I have so many odd fishing adventures I should write a book. I'll save the bat story for another thread.

Knew men that were bitten and went back to work next day. On the Tioga Hammond Lake. Swollen, black arms, legs, etc. No fear! But remember, these boys were a wild, tough bunch! A rugged brew! Sweat and fortune was the goal!

So I gather it wasn't just one or two men bitten and returning to work? I'm imagining all these tough guys going back to work with swollen and black arms and legs and other body parts. I gotta say it is poetic but I have my doubts.
I bet you walked many miles to school each day and it was uphill both ways too.

Larkmark, Odd but true. Dunkin Williams, then living in Westfield Pa. Any old timers from this area or Cherry Flats area might have known him. Built his own Log home from trees he cut himself.

Funny thing, later in his life, when he moved and lived in Florida. He fell off a scaffle. Was not breathing, thought to be dead. His son revived him. Upon his awake, he stood up and punched his son in the mouth. Son said, "What did you do that for, I saved your life". Dunkin replied. Thanks, but someday I will die and today would have been with no suffering.

Dunkin Williams, most likely the toughest I have ever met.

However upon this thought, I thought of one more tough guy. Ransom Bowen. Wellsboro people, do you remember and agree!

Maxima12

If you decide to harvest a Timber Rattlesnake, be advised, Rattlesnake is very good eating. I like mine cooked in butter, white wine and fresh garlic. Add some oil to prevent butter from burning.

Knew an old trapper in my day. I called him muskrat because he looked like one.

50% car anti freeze and 50% glycerin. This was our formula to tan or cure the hide. Hide stayed soft and pliable. Check out this formula on web, to make sure my percentages are right. If it is there.

Drape the skin over your shoulder to get the real Mt. Man look.

You must keep the harvest tag as long as you keep any part of the snake. File an annual report on harvest.

Find one dead on road, no tag or permit will ever be issued. Most likely a fine if you pick it up and shooting a rattler with a gun is a fined offense.

Rattlers have made a tremendous comeback thanks to fish and boat hero's. Thanks everyone for the great job!
Maybe most don't like them but we need them in the long scheme of things.

Maxima12

rattlesnakeroundups.com. Oh my!!!

A little off subject but my Grandpa was from Elk County and farmed on top of Boot Jack hill. When he was a youngster he was splitting wood with a hatchet for kindling and cut his thumb off clean as a whistle. Never even went to the hospital. At supper his dad, Pasco Shaver asked him, " Bill something happen to your hand. You won't do that again."

That's what I am saying. Forget this political correct, undermine of human intelligence. Cowboy up! Be the glowing fire you are to be. Blood, Soul and Rock and Roll! Sounds like a poem from Allan Ginsberg and long lost Abby Hoffman. Flashback from old friend, long gone Timothy from Berkley. Bad deal at New York airport

Well, here's to ya! Hymn for the dudes. Mott the Hoople!

It's great being me!

Maxima12

Does post #16 have anything to do with Rattlesnakes. You bet! The true meaning is here. Not afraid by no means to secure a understanding of life, freedom and pursuit of happiness. The man takes your freedom a inch at a time. I am looking for sportsman to take it back a foot at a time!

Cool, Cool, wind in your face. Harvest your ginseng now! 3 prongers no! 4 prongers, dig deep!

Now to understand posts previous, in a level headed manor. We need a shouter, a poet, a genius. Put them together and more work on the life of rattlesnakes evolves. No more beating them with sticks, running over them, shooting them, grabbing them with those long metal sticks with the tweezer prongs on the end. I would think being picked up around the gut with those prongs would hurt. If someone did that to me, I would get mad too! Always thought given time, a rattlesnake would let you pet it.

Pa. has probably done the most for reptiles out of all the states. Would like to see more university studies on rattlers. So, we need the 3 wise guys to go to work and let the truth be known. Beautiful serpent means you no harm!

By the way, I have petted wild skunks before. Yes, I have witnesses. Trick is, make sure you are face to face. He turns around, time to run!

Maxima12

Oh, by the way, catch a rattler and not take it back to same spot caught to let it back in wild, means sure death to snake. Heard tell tales from old wise one's. They even have there own paths, just like deer!

maxima12 wrote:

By the way, I have petted wild skunks before. Yes, I have witnesses. Trick is, make sure you are face to face. He turns around, time to run!

Wait ... SkunkS? Meaning more than one? Really?

My cousin did that once. Key word is once.

He caught it in a leg hold trap, and successfully let it go. It never even tried to spray. Then he figured it must be tame so he started petting it.

He figured wrong. Then again, he did get a day off from school as a result.

maxima12 wrote:

Cool, Cool, wind in your face. Harvest your ginseng now! 3 prongers no! 4 prongers, dig deep!

Bad advice. Ginseng season in PA doesn't start until Sept 1.

Back