Tiger Trout

This was an exceptional year for beetles, at least in my outings.

SteveG wrote:
Dryflyguy, I'm actually tossing around the idea of only fishing dries next year. I still need to see if I'm able to undertake something like that. I almost feel as if I'd have to get one of my fishing buddies to go in on it with me so I'm held accountable.

Going dry only certainly isn't for everyone.
But in some ways, it certainly simplifies things. My vest is quite full with dry flies only now. I couldn't imagine how stuffed it would be if I carried subsurface patterns too.

Bottom line for me - I'm just fishing the way that I want to

FWIW - most of the guys I fish with have also adopted a dry only approach. And they still love this sport

dryflyguy wrote:
SteveG wrote:
Dryflyguy, I'm actually tossing around the idea of only fishing dries next year. I still need to see if I'm able to undertake something like that. I almost feel as if I'd have to get one of my fishing buddies to go in on it with me so I'm held accountable.

Going dry only certainly isn't for everyone.
But in some ways, it certainly simplifies things. My vest is quite full with dry flies only now. I couldn't imagine how stuffed it would be if I carried subsurface patterns too.

Bottom line for me - I'm just fishing the way that I want to

FWIW - most of the guys I fish with have also adopted a dry only approach. And they still love this sport

I've never tried going dry for an entire season, but I have gone out for the day and decided to fish dries only. It was fun. I found myself moving around and walking more, as well as spending more time observing and looking for risers.

I suggest you do it when the fish are more likely to feed on top. It gives you a much better shot at being successful. Trying it in January or February or when the streams are bank full may be kinda tough!

Good luck.

Yeah, if I ever d up trying it, I'm only going to go out when conditions are ideal. January and February don't bother me, since I'm surrounded by limestone, and I already go out specifically to fish midge and olive hatches throughout the Winter. I just bring a pack, thermos of coffee or soup, food, and a book to read while sitting on a mound of snow, waiting for them to start rising. Sometimes they don't, but it still beats the real world.

SteveG wrote:
Yeah, if I ever d up trying it, I'm only going to go out when conditions are ideal. January and February don't bother me, since I'm surrounded by limestone, and I already go out specifically to fish midge and olive hatches throughout the Winter. I just bring a pack, thermos of coffee or soup, food, and a book to read while sitting on a mound of snow, waiting for them to start rising. Sometimes they don't, but it still beats the real world.

Sound like Jack when we went winter fishing with him..."hey, let's build a fire and wait for risers" (with flask in hand, of course)

It's more fun than trying to nymph the Letort

You're gonna fish dry only in the winter? More power to you.

I pick my times for sure. And winter isn't one of them.
I'm likely done fishing now until march.
Of course, I don't have a limestone stream close by. The nearest one is 2+ hours away. And it's just not worth all of that driving, to hope for a few risers during a couple hour stretch in the middle of the day.

Back