Tiger or Not?

It all depends on what hatchery I think...I've seen a lot from bellafonte look like my second one and jersey fish like the first. The first one by the way was the smaller one of the day on the delaware above New Hope pa...A few were close to 10 lbs....Here in the north central part I havn't seen to many :-? wish there we more(sorry chaz, i like catchin em) :-D I think it depends on what strain of brown is crossed with the brookies...just my 02................. :-D

It seems clear to me that this controversy will not be settled until Chaz expresses his opinion. Frankly, I am surprised it has gone on this long. :-D

sandfly wrote:
Tiger, Since you fished a stocked jersey stream and they put them in alot.. Looks like a jersey tiger, Pa ones have more lines..

Its a PA stream, just the fish are stocked from a Jersey Hatchery.

Tomgamber,
It looks like a brownie to me because brown trout do exhibit spots that blend into each other. This makes them look like the vermiculations found on the back of brookies. If you look at brookie vermiculations - and also those on most tiger trout - they're shades of brownish olive, not black. The spots on this guy are too dark to be tiger vermiculations in my humble opinion. If you look at the other brown he's holding (beautiful fish BTW), toward the tail it too exhibits the spots that are crowded into each other. I also look at the fins. Every tiger I have seen (look at the tiger photos) has a black/white edge on the pectoral, pelvic, and anal fins - just like brook trout. This distinct white edge is almost always absent on brown trout pectoral fins. It is however, common on the pelvic and anal fins of browns. If you look at the fish in question it appears to only have the white edge on the pelvic/anal fins which leads me to think it's a brown.

I have seen a few photos of tiger trout that were caught in the delaware and they looked nothing like that. They had none of the brown trout color in their belly. They were very green in the vermiculations and had a pale silver belly like a rainbow.

Fish Id, ya beat me to it. Saw the same deal you did between the pictures, and have seen on many other brownies. Though maybe not to that extent. That is a very rare pattern. I am still surprised at a couple of names that believe its a Tiger.

To me, it looks like a hold-over brown. I don't see an blatently obvious signs that it is a tiger. Its spots are black against a light background and most tigers have light wormy-spots on a darker background.

Thanks, I have seen only a few tigers...none anywhere near this size.
I'm not sure I agree but I appreciate you sharing your knowledge.

I have caught at least 50 +on the Delaware since the 80's and have seen all differentdesigns on them the most distingishing mark is the white edged fin. Browns do not have fins like that only the char family

While we have the panel assembled, I was wondering about this one. I'm pretty sure it is, but I've only caught a dozen or so tigers, and I am not very familiar with them.

l_e2fc4cea51a0ea1e5dc822b74f557451.jpg

Thanks

Boyer

Img_6002-1.jpg

I agree if the fins towards the front (pectoral?) of the trout are white tipped, its a Char trademark.
Matt I dont think anyone would dispute that Tiger.
Thats a great lookin' brownie in your icon by the way.

MattBoyer wrote:
While we have the panel assembled, I was wondering about this one. I'm pretty sure it is, but I've only caught a dozen or so tigers, and I am not very familiar with them.

l_e2fc4cea51a0ea1e5dc822b74f557451.jpg

Thanks

Boyer

Now that is 100% a tiger there!

After reading all the posts, I've changed my mind. It's a brown trout with spots that have merged together in some areas.

In the absence of karyotyping we will never know. I've changed my mind, too, after looking at a lot of pictures. Thought the white and orange fin was a definite brookie sign, but its not. Brown trout, I think.

My vote is for a brownie...

Back