Tiger guys....have at it

I know for a fact that some rich guy stocks Tiger Trout in Elk Creek. It's very possible that those Delaware fish are from there. Imagine they swim down Elk into Penns then down to the Susquehanna, from there it's just a hop , skip and jump down through all the dams and turbines etc and into Chesapeake Bay. Then of course they could swim into the C&D Canal which takes them from Chesapeake to the Delaware system. Then head upstream with the American Shad migration and there you have it!

East Branch Tiger from July 2017.

59b0cc_61c5bbe1c26e40f2a9350bee63f257cb~mv2_d_5312_2988_s_4_2.webp

Lot's of private clubs up in Beaverkill system that stock. Could be from there.

Nice fish from the east. Certainly looks wild.Look at those big eyes! That's just like the wild rainbows!

Years ago, there was a private hatchery that operated along the Heritage Area of Falling Springs off of Falling Springs Rd.(right by the farm where the stream is now posted). In times of high water, fish routinely escaped the hatchery. Over the years to coincide with these events, I would catch tiger trout there. Some would hang around for awhile and grow quite large.

Andy,
That fish is a stocked tiger. Every once in a while a big stocked tiger gets caught up there. No one seems to know where though. I know some guys think a few of them came from the hatchery on Martins Creek down in Bangor....but we all think thats a little bit of a stretch. Im going to see Rinker soon and Ill ask him. That will be your best answer.

Kev

Albatross, the fins on that fish look awesome. I've never seen a stocked tiger in person before but that's a pretty good looking fish.

In July I caught a nice brook trout (appeared to be wild) up by stilesville... I sure some of you guys have landed Brookies from the river also... can imagine with both species in the system, the potential for wild tigers is surely there.

Sorry for the fuzzy photo, but it is hard to tell with these two. The ears are sharp, and not rubbed, and the fur is soft. They're only about a month old, so I don't think they were stocked as fingerlings. The mother is at least a third generation feral cat that has adopted us (not sure if that makes her a wild or a native), and the father is unknown, but I guess must have been a brook cat.

reQR2UK7LpaxIYBJcbdvPaqNtDHEm0L1hAXzkvNyRYY1A5dDrBZNGu3sOpRXluvOls8-eXqhj7G4xxwqXU9RQpIED8Lg9YTophTTmnvO32rO0ghpQ8Hgc3gpQFaW44pq2WzqoH4qIavJmV4rZqmkF4drnNOBhjdxzGNxDTAkTBuZ5842IDS86hA9rj4fwxlUnLgQpswQnYKUTKdWd8A2dDV9OKzsJNHcfa-mLNhuYb5fkNDAX5VCB8BaaIQURY5kIUQse_TPQMBDDzQLlEuOrn7czpLi_-jWWFaHtZ3FjR6M-CVxg5BBa0KCzA4NWhJRkfh6ZPjmliwO-46HlKG76Js8BKRI-yTEx78U3eysjyDu99_AqJ0f3qVTfaaRU4kSt_XNjdvocnin5IW0ZSZBNJmeoVAVGoOzVwxbsPWS_GdQQHvNIjhxLEf-NulUq6D1ojpIT3kiedysDhTGT1sUjw8SHBOtsrNPqzblnKvt9mEr4EvgXRyv5lt6sdn7hhU8G5E4Odq1NGz5awaqbLQkQysJlAMhn-qRjDgaW3JTZlD8cdgGggKBz_dGrbCH4vXmcdrm4GV9m5hR6vFNLZEYgXskGE56P-mjAOiKMHpRX8styxbF8OpiVQ=w1280-h720-no

Okay, wild or stocked? I caught it in 2008 at the Norbord section of the West Branch on a Clouser minnow. It was taped at 17.38".

Attachments

• Tiger Release (300x199).jpg
    Tiger Release (300x199).jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 10
  • Tiger (300x156).jpg
    Tiger (300x156).jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 11
wbranch wrote:
Okay, wild or stocked? I caught it in 2008 at the Norbord section of the West Branch on a Clouser minnow. It was taped at 17.38".

Not a clue on that one...doesn't seem to have the marbled bluish look of the wilds but still doesn't quite look like most of the stocked one's I've seen. Really nice fins and nice fish either way!

Rising from the ashes....... big mutant tiger topic..... AGAIN.

Looking at The Delaware River Club fishing report this morning, we have another strange find. Yet again, another large / mutant tiger taken in the Delaware. Photos below. Can you tell which is a a tiger and which is a brook trout?

Attachments

• FISH.jpg
    FISH.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 11
  • fish 2 - Copy.jpg
    fish 2 - Copy.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 10
krayfish2 wrote:
Rising from the ashes....... big mutant tiger topic..... AGAIN.

Looking at The Delaware River Club fishing report this morning, we have another strange find. Yet again, another large / mutant tiger taken in the Delaware. Photos below. Can you tell which is a a tiger and which is a brook trout?

Good luck catching those D-River natives next week like the one in your second pic.

Attachments

• D-River Natives.jpg
    D-River Natives.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 5
I recently saw a photo on my buddy's phone of a very large (what appeared to be) tiger trout. It was caught by a fellow in his campground as he drifted through the Methodist Pool on the WB. He has spinning and caught it in an in-line spinner. He killed it. The guy who caught it talked to a NY state CO who said NY has never grown or stocked tiger trout in any NYS waterway. He said it had to have gotten into the WB from a PA tributary that is stocked. I know the little creek by the Shehawken access is stocked in the spring and I am quite sure Equinunk Creek is stocked.

I agree on Equinunk Creek. Last spring, we got a 17.5" tiger over near the Jaws! I know they can travel but that's nearly 25 miles.

Tom,
We'll be letting Dave Kyle weed out those natives for us. LoL

I think the real question is......what do they taste like??

krayfish2 wrote:

Tom,
We'll be letting Dave Kile weed out those natives for us. LoL

Just put him in the back of the boat, give him a coffee can full of worms, and he'll be happy all week.

The weather looks sunny which is often a problem for fishing, but no storms to contend with according the long range forecast.

The flows are good now, but it depends on the water needed to hit the Montague target.

I know you guys will have fun, and hopefully catch a bunch of non-natives.

Invasives for all!

Have a good time.

Love to catch a wild tiger but like most I don’t put myself in enough situations to help with the odds , however small they maybe.

acristickid wrote:
Love to catch a wild tiger but like most I don’t put myself in enough situations to help with the odds , however small they maybe.

I've never caught one. Just regular old types of trout that have existed forever..

Back