Tiger guys....have at it

krayfish2

krayfish2

This photo was in the DRC steam report Sunday. This is the 5th or 6th big one like this I've seen photos of.

Attachments

• Biller_Price.jpg
    Biller_Price.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 21
Definitely a Tiger Trout. Not sure how you confuse that with a stocked brown?

I say its a stocked tiger. Wild ones look more like these...

Attachments

• 13321929_10153635881902966_408733585020053934_n.jpg
    13321929_10153635881902966_408733585020053934_n.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 20429876_10154807466357966_5144971668939859469_n.jpg
    20429876_10154807466357966_5144971668939859469_n.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 7
It's definitely not a tiger. There's a strain of stocked browns that have their spots merged like. I've caught quite a few (especially in the Catskills). I'd point you to links of photos of one others have caught, but thanks to photobucket, they've disappeared.

This is a tiger trout(you have to follow the link)

http://www.sparsegreymatter.com/download/file.php?id=2191

The one they OP posted is a stocked brown.

Snakehead Food just saying

It's definitely a tiger.

It probably came into the river from a stocked tributary. There have been some pics of large Del River tigers posted here in the past. Not sure where they come from, but it's not unique.

Cool photo - tigers are always a fun discussion topic around here. Thanks!

DaveW nailed it. No clue where they come from and this isn't the first pic of a large tiger I've seen from the W branch.

Stocked tiger. I caught one 18" several years ago on a delayed harvest stream section here in NC Pa. It was colored like that. Not near as beautiful as a wild one but it's a tiger. I found out later that two tigers had been stocked with a bunch of bigger browns by a local fly shop. The owner is a friend of mine. He stocked them in May and I caught it the middle of October! After six months in the water it still was not that colorful. Big and fat though!

bigjohn58 wrote:
First tiger is wild, second tiger is not. Much too big to be a wild tiger. The fish in the OP is some kind of hybrid brown/junk :-D .

wildtrout2 wrote:
bigjohn58 wrote:
First tiger is wild, second tiger is not. Much too big to be a wild tiger. The fish in the OP is some kind of hybrid brown/junk :-D .

Funny you say that...because from the locations where I caught these fish the smaller 7" one would have had the better chance of being a stockie then the larger one. Larger class A wild trout stream with no stocking within miles of where the bigger tiger was. Its a very remote location too.

8BHmOXN.jpg

Found this one on a main stem report.

4 Tigers in this thread. John's are wild. Near 100% certainty.

Though John's second one is big, I'd expect a wild Tiger, though rare, to be able to attain a size similar to its respective parents in a given environment. In a medium sized (on the bigger end probably for wild streams) NC freestoner type of stream, where I suspect it was caught from his description, 12" is a big Brookie and 16-18"ish is a big Brown. That fish looks to be somewhere in between, which is plausible. Everything else about it looks wild.

A couple years ago I read that a bunch of Tigers escaped a flooded NJ hatchery with a trib to the Big D. They may have made their way upstream looking for colder water. Or not.

wildtrout2 wrote:
bigjohn58 wrote:
Don't under estimate how big a wild tiger can grow. One of the two wild tigers I caught was 14". He was from a limestone stream though.

WildTigerTrout wrote:
wildtrout2 wrote:
bigjohn58 wrote:
Don't under estimate how big a wild tiger can grow. One of the two wild tigers I caught was 14". He was from a limestone stream though.

I agree, and I never caught one.

If they display the hybrid vigor that many other hybrid species display, they will grow faster, and likely bigger than their non-hybrid counterparts.

Forget the stupid stocked Tiger. Let's talk about BigJohns unreal massive wild tiger. If that thing is truly wild, and I think it is, that is the most incredible trout I've ever seen in my life. 1 in a billion fish right there. INCREDIBLE. 17"? Just unreal. I thought the 13.5" wild tiger I caught a few years ago was the biggest tiger ever caught lol (not really) but that thing is amazing.

Dang thing sure looks wild to me!

So to summarize.......

Attached photos are of tiger trout

Some are wild but it's virtually impossible to say for sure which is which

krayfish2 wrote:
So to summarize.......

Yes. But...

We haven't even begun to address which, if any, were "shopped" or caught on spinning tackle.

Discuss.

krayfish2 wrote:
So to summarize.......

This is my honest feeling about tiger trout also. There is no way 100% possible to know if these fish are truly wild but there is a very very good chance they are. I like to believe they are wild BUT after catching a few I quite honestly would prefer to catch browns. If that big one was a wild brown good chance its laying eggs and contributing to the future. These tiger trout can't do that.

Back