Threading the Needle

sarce

sarce

Met up with Lutz for an afternoon of wild trout prospecting in Northern MD on Sunday afternoon. Both of us had reason to drive a fair ways to meet – 5-7 inches of rain on Saturday ruined my usual streams in the DC/Frederick MD area, and Lutz had to cancel a guided trip in PA due to similar conditions. Some portions of MD ended up escaping with only 2-3” of rain, so we agreed to meet in that general area and take on a surprisingly remote small stream with challenging access which I had fished only once before. The radar looked a little scary to the east of where we wanted to go, so it really seemed like this place was the ONLY possibility for the day.

This year I have been exploring a lot of new water as I am bracing for the inevitable, possibly soon, loss of my favorite large brown trout water due to ongoing landowner changes. So far it has proven difficult to find other water that holds anything over 12”. Either that or I have proven that I suck at catching them. We hoped this trip, in perfect streamer fishing weather, would reveal that this new stream holds those larger class of fish.

We ended up finding a ton of aggressive wild browns, landing over 20 and missing at least as many. None exceeded 12”, despite ideal conditions, cool 66-degree water, and fishing a number of large plunge pools with undercut boulders. Initially we were fishing the slightly off-colored water from the soaking rain the night before, and then after enduring a quick but intense thunderstorm, we fished the rising and increasingly muddy water that immediately followed. Fish hammered streamers all day. If there were big fish to be found, I think we would have tangled with them – but it just goes to show that small streams with large brown trout are not all that common, at least not here in MD.

With all that said, it was a truly awesome outing for the fact that it happened at all in between periods of some really ugly weather. We were able to use radar estimated rainfall and a knowledge base of streams covering a wide area, built from extensive “pick a blue line and go for it” type of exploring, to make the most of what the weather gods dealt us. To me, this is a great reason to keep exploring new water – you may one day need to fall back on that prior experience simply to find somewhere with fishable conditions! I never get tired of streams like this full of beautiful wild trout. Pics 5 and 6 below are from Lutz, the rest are mine. Thanks for reading.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    132.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    142.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    132.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    146.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 5
Nice. My kind of stream and fishing there. Looks like a fun one to fish, even in the rain.

Nice! Small stream fishing for wild browns with streamers. Ya just gotta love that!

Looks like you had a very successful trip Sarce even if you didn't find any of the big ones you were hoping for. I agree with Swattie exploring small remote streams is my favorite way to fish and luckily MD has a good number which unfortunately NOVA seems to lack.

Great thread, thanks for taking the time. Those are nice browns, and those stream conditions look almost perfect! That's the type of stream I enjoy fishing as well.

10rman, yeah I agree. NOVA I think just gets way too hot in the summer. I mean sometimes I'm driving around late at night there and it's like 85 degrees at midnight...no stream will stay cold enough for trout with those air temps. The very few I'm aware of are limestone spring creeks.

As for MD, in the past 4 years I've caught at least one wild trout in 40 different streams, and I haven't even made it to the Savage basin yet. I hope to make it 50 by the end of the year.

WT2, I certainly love those conditions! Makes it all the more puzzling that we couldn't find anything large. Must just be the genetics or the fact that there's so many of them.

10rman88 wrote:
Looks like you had a very successful trip Sarce even if you didn't find any of the big ones you were hoping for. I agree with Swattie exploring small remote streams is my favorite way to fish and luckily MD has a good number which unfortunately NOVA seems to lack.

Head over to accotink creek :roll: I like many things about nova but the trout fishing is definitely not one of them.

Some nice colors on those fish

Ryan I'd rather fish the ponds for bass than waste my time at Accontink haha. Luckily I don't mind the hour or so drive to Big Hunting area or even the drives to Western MD or the Gunpowder for good fishing.

I dunno - when I see a stream like that and it has little browns in it, I gotta think that somewhere, it has a big brown or two. That first photo just screams brownie habitat. Makes me want to swing a streamer through a local stream... Except the USGS gauge I use as a proxy for ideal streamer conditions is more than 9x optimal flow...

Lol, Accotink! That place is a sad excuse for a trout fishery.

Salmonoid, I agree - there should be some in there. But two trips now, ideal conditions both times, and nothing over 12...hmmm. These fish are not pressured at all, either. We moved a 12 incher from the rock in the first pic.

I can imagine there are a couple big ones that are very selective about their feeding times, though. Two trips isn't enough to say for sure but I am surprised not to have encountered any.

Back