Thread

I have 10 bobbins (thank you gander mt. gift certificates).
They are all ceramic and most hold a specific color that I use often (black, olive, cream, brown, tan). 2 are for 12/0 Moser power silk. The other 3 are for less common colors of thread and get swapped out.
Things like wire and floss, I palmer on the fly. I cut enough wire or floss to last for a few flies as to save waste.

I tie thousands of flies a year and I wasn't going to use those gift certificates on anything else. It only takes me a few seconds to change thread in a spool as well, but it's convienence.

MKern: Do you think those ceramic bobbins are worth getting over just a reg one. As stated before, I still use a 25 year old materelli - have never had any problems with it.

dryflyguy wrote:
MKern: Do you think those ceramic bobbins are worth getting over just a reg one. As stated before, I still use a 25 year old materelli - have never had any problems with it.

Some guys swear by them...I have never had the end of one tear, cut or split my thread so I've never bought one...If I started having those problems..I'd run right out and get one...but until I do I just use the cheaper ones...

I have both types of bobbins - ceramic and flared. They seem to work equally as well. Although my 1st bobbin was a cheap one that I got in a fly tying kit when I started tying, and it had sharp edges that cut the thread. I use that one for lead wire and it works well to cut through the wire when needed. BTW I have 7 or 8 bobbins, haven't counted them lately, all loaded with most of the threads I most frequently use. I wouldn't spend the extra $ for ceramic. I have one that's lined with a ruby - I bought that one when I was single and have cash to burn.

No I don't think ceremic makes a huge difference, it is just what I seem to buy. I have both styles but usually only have thread break from hitting the hook point or weak spot in the thread.

Look at the plus side, at least I'm not spending $35 + on bobbins.

You do know that there is a way to stop them from cutting thread and smooth out the end. If you thread a piece a 8lbs. mono or greater threw it use enough thread to hold the top and bottom firmly. the end coming out if the tip wrap around you hand once. them hold it at a 90 degree angle from the tip and go pretty fast in a circle it with sand the tip down and smooth it out. if you want a picture let me know.

Back