Thread holders

T

tctrout

During a conversation with my father-in-law last night, the idea of building better thread holders came up. I have some older ones w/ dowel rods given to me years ago, and they can hold two spools per dowel. I also have some that I bought @ a local craft store, though they hold one spool each.

I'd love to hear from anyone on this forum (or see pictures) of thread holders that you've created and had success with. I keep a lot of the thread on bobbins, but would really like to have a better way to organize the extras.

Any thoughts or input would be appreciated,

TC

***Also, I just finished tying Napoleon's Dynamite, a fun nymph that I learned about a few years ago. Here's a video for those of you Euro-nymph guys...

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQUYrsIBbyM[/youtube]

4 loaded bobbin holders collecting dust on my tying station and the surplus in a zip lock bag inside a rubbermaid shoe box

i dont see a need for displaying a massive amount of spools when you may only need a few spools of thread, wire, tinsel etc at the ready

Im with short rod. the old ziplock bag manuver

I'm with Norm and the others on this. I use Uni 8/0 tan or black for almost everything I tie. No need for a display. The few spools of wire along with floss and other assorted spools go in a cigar box in a drawer.

Thanks for all of the insight; I appreciate the feedback.

TC

Dave from the Heritage Fly Shop gave me a couple of plastic containers that he received shipments in. They work great, along with my premium zip lock bags.

I use these

threadstorage001_zps46472598.jpg

threadstorage002_zpsaaa1c651.jpg

threadstorage003_zps7e223566.jpg

Sterilite 3 drawer mini organizers are perfect for thread storage and don't take up much room on a tying desk. You can find them in most any retail store for five bucks or less and they are made in the USA to boot.

what's that henry
which one

Plano boxes (well okay, the bass pro knock-offs) for me. I use the small size and they fit right into my travel tying bag. Have similar boxes with beads, hooks, eyes tc...

MountainBrookie wrote:

Sterilite 3 drawer mini organizers are perfect for thread storage and don't take up much room on a tying desk. You can find them in most any retail store for five bucks or less and they are made in the USA to boot.

I use this for most of my hook storage. Great little buggers.

Plano boxes or the cheaper craft store equivalents

Back