Thoughts on Euro Nymphing

jbewley

jbewley

Do to this and that, I had drifted away from my fly fishing for a couple of years, but am now back full force.

One of the first things I noticed, was the swing to Euro nymphing, so I started to read up on the topic. It appears that no fly line is needed, but a level one can be used and you guide the flies through the current with only the leader exposed.

I believe, that is they way it all started, with a long wooden pole, string and a fly, guided through the water.

So, this seems to me, to be a giant step back to the 18th century. Very interesting. :)

Jim

Some guys use a mono rig, but that is only one way to do it. Several very effective methods would fall under that catchall of euro nymphing, not just that one technique. I use a sighter and fly line, even cast, and have never used a mono rig. Can't argue with its effectiveness whatever century it's from. Is Tenkara also a step backward, I wonder?

I high stick or tight line or whatever but I don't use a sighter nor do I use a 25 foot "leader." I have a bit of line out of the end of my rod and a normal length leader. Guide the fly through the water and set the hook at any pause, resistance, etc. It has to be the right kind of water or else I'm indicator fishing or streamer fishing. Just depends.

jbewley wrote:

I believe, that is they way it all started, with a long wooden pole, string and a fly, guided through the water.

So, this seems to me, to be a giant step back to the 18th century. Very interesting. :)

It worked then, and it works now. Other methods are not more "advanced", they're just different. Too often in the history of fly fishing, we've thrown the baby out with the bathwater in our rush towards the latest and greatest.

Don't forget that 18th century anglers caught just as many fish as we do today; it was just less convenient.

Using a light, composite 11 foot is a huge step forward in convenience from a rod like Cotton described as being no more than 6 yards long with a solid ash butt no bigger around than your wrist (or else a man could get tired.)

We've reclaimed the baby -- without the dirty bathwater.

jbewley wrote:
Do to this and that, I had drifted away from my fly fishing for a couple of years, but am now back full force.

Jim

Welcome back Jim - we missed yuh.

Glad you're eager to get back in the game and fire things up with a FF discussion with your internet fishing buddies. What could be better? :)

Thanks Dave. Good to be back and fishing more.

All good thoughts on this. I agree, that the old methods did, in fact, work. I have always been more of a "fish on top" kind of guy, but I can see that nymphing has some advantages I did not fully realize. So, I am taking serious look at it now.

Jim

I was very skeptical of the mono rig thing until I tried it. At one point I was even dismissive of the technique as "not flyfishing". I bought a bunch of Maxima, sighter material etc. and tied some leaders and tried it. The game changing effects of the mono rig is the feeling. You literally feel everything the fly is doing through the more direct connection to the fly. I'd say it increased my hookup rate by a factor of x2 or x3. When you don't feel the strike, you have the sighter which doesn't drag on the surface like a traditional floating indicator.

All that said, keep in mind that you don't have to do one or the other. I do have one "euro nymphing" rod, but I actually use the mono rig on shorter rods too. I've even used it on a 7'-6" 2wt. While having a longer rod makes it easier, you can absolutely use the mono rig with a shorter rod and longer casts. The key to the mono rig approach is reducing drag caused by sagging fly line out the end of the rod and in between the eyes on the rod. You don't necessarily have to have a straight line out of the end of the rod and directly down into the water. The mono simply reduces sag in the line so you have a more drag free drift.

I use a loop connection fly line and tie perfection loops in all my leaders. I carry mono rigs and traditional leaders in my pack. It takes less than 5 minutes to change from one to the other. I fished yesterday afternoon and changed twice.

The only other factor changed w/ Euro Nymphing or using a mono rig is the flies themselves. I basically have a selection of a handful of favorite patterns that I've adapted to the technique by adding varying sizes of tungsten bead heads. Basically, phesant tails, caddis pupa and midge type flies in varying sizes w/ varying sizes of beads. It's really less about fly pattern and more about being able to deliver a perfect presentation.

Interesting. I had to look up "mono rig". I really am way behind. :)

Jim

Check out Troutbitten.com all the info on the mono rig you will ever need.

"Euro nymphing" was popularized here in the U.S. because of the influence of competitive fly fishing. Fips Mouche is the organization that oversees the competitive fly fishing activities and, according to the current rules, an all mono rig would not be permitted. Leaders are now restricted to no more than two times the length of the rod.

I would present that Joe Humphreys is credited with popularizing the all mono rig. He was fishing it before competitive fly fishing took hold here.

Below is a great video about how to get started Euro aka tightline nymphing. The rig shown in the video works well. No need for an all mono leader or even specialized tackle like 10' or longer nymph rod or even specialized flies to get started. Weighted flies and a long tippet will get you down into the strike zone. Also there is a very good illustration about griding off the water to cover it thoroughly.

Anyone that fly-fished pre-1980's in the BI period (Before Indicators) tightlined or high-sticked with nymphs or wets.

Interesting and informative video.

Jim

Video of a class on Euro / TL nymphing. A lot of good info given by Lance Egan >

If youre further interested in Euro I'd suggest the book "Dynamic Nymphing" by George Daniel. Also any videos or info from Lance Eagan,Devin Olson, or local guy Tim Camissa is a really great rabbit hole to go down.

After reading this thread it made me think of this meme

Attachments

• F728938A-0352-41AE-9875-2E85C73A2748.jpeg
    F728938A-0352-41AE-9875-2E85C73A2748.jpeg
    149.1 KB · Views: 4
You really have to watch what Fredrick post. Late at night it ends up sorta bad:
iH85As1.jpg

Steeltrap wrote:
You really have to watch what Fredrick post. Late at night it ends up sorta bad:
iH85As1.jpg

That was great

Back