those "A ha!!!" moments...

sniperfreak223

sniperfreak223

do you guys ever have those "A ha!" moments? I finally nailed down sakasa kebari flies with one simple epiphany: tie them backwards!!!

Yes I do. I'll be in the middle of a fly and it seems like out of nowhere a solution just suddenly presents itself. One step or process of a particular fly seems to trigger ideas for others. Sometimes it happens in the middle of the night and wakes me up, then I must go to the vise quick so as not to forget. :) The wife seems to think I tie too much. Is that even possible? :-?

Yep. Oftentimes for me, the idea literally appears in dreams or otherwise at nighttime.

(I definitely tie too much! :-o )

I recall buying some 12 flies that were tied backwards at the last Fly Fishing Show.....Don't recall if I used them or not. Did anyone try any of them out? if so, how did they perform?

This is my A Ha momement!

Fishidiot - did you get up and tie some more based on the new "a ha"?

My most memorial A HA moment came to me at 3:00 a.m. shortly after my daughter and I left the BCA Cheer program. I woke up laughing my - you know what off.

Our program name was going to be the Yukon Kizmaaes. and Our chant would go like this:

Yukon Kizmaaes
Yukon Kizmaaes
You know what to Kiss

The Ah ha moment is one of the reasons I love tying older patterns. For example, a couple of years ago I was trying to figure out Marinaro's thorax dun. I must have tied that pattern 100 times. I read both of his books, scoured the net, talked to guys at shows, and examined flies tied by him and others. Then it just clicked. It is really cool, at least for me, because it feels like you went through the discovery process with the originator.
Guys that settle for "that will catch fish" really miss out on that sort of fun. But I guess we all tie for different reasons.
Mike.

Just in case anyone was out of the curve, here's one of my Sakasa Kebari flies...

Attachments

• kebari.jpg
    kebari.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 2
That's a cool looking tie. The funny thing about these "discoveries" is they're always right in front of your face waiting to be seen. Nice job Snipe.

I must go to the vise quick so as not to forget. The wife seems to think I tie too much. Is that even possible?

no "A ha" for you Choc....its a "Uh hu" :-D

Had one of these "A ha!" moments recently for a new scud concept. The resulting fly was perfect and just what I imagined! I was pretty jazzed. Then when I tried to tie it again, the result was garbage. Hhmmmm....

Well anyway, it was fun pursuing this new fly but I can see it probably needs a slightly different approach. Sometimes the "aha" moment gets you started and can lead you down a new path that can result in a great fly.....and sometimes not. However, these moments add much inspiration to the fly tying hobby.

Several years ago when tying some soft hackles (using the standard materials), I thought what if I use CDC feathers for the soft hackles. Tried several techniques, found one and tied some BWO soft hackles. Flies were an instant hit (with the fish of course). Been tying different soft hackle patterns since with various CDC feather colors and I've had very good success even over the standard soft hackle feathers that are used.

My "A ha!!!" moments in the last few years have all come while watching very good tiers on video online--**** Talleur in particular. But Talleur was before CDC. While there is certainly informative video for patterns with CDC by McPhail, Petitjean, Weillenman, etc., I am always on the lookout for CDC variations as regards patterns and techniques.

McPhails ties are unreal even if you don't get them up to his picture perfect standard you'll still catch fish, and a lot of them

One of the biggest "a ha" moments for me was instead of tying in biots for legs and putting another wrap of dubbing behind each one after it was tied in to get in to stick out more, I just tied them in flipped the other direction and they spring out on their own. I always think back to the day.

Back