Thomas & Thomas special dry fly rod 8', 4-5#

ErnieBall

ErnieBall

My dad has this rod - it is make number 1701. I cant find any information on this particular brand of Thomas & Thomas rods online and am wondering if any of you can help out with some information on it. It is outfitted with an Orvis Battenkill 3/4 reel. I am going to clean up the reel and re-string it for my small stream rod.

Its gotta be at least 20 years old - I'm thinking it could possibly be a custom rod?

Any info is appreciated.

I had that rod about 20 years ago, with a CFO reel on it. Very nice rod, I fished it everywhere except on bigger waters where I used a T&T 9' 5wt. Firehole. What do you want to know about the SDF?

Well I was just curious if it was a production model or it was a custom rod. But since you had a "SDF" rod as well, it was probably production. I did some searching on the internet and could not find any info. I don't have it with me at the house right now and haven't looked at it for a while, is it bamboo?

You are correct in that it was a production rod, but it is graphite, 2 piece. If I remember correctly they started making them in the 80's and were among T&T's first really good graphite rods.

Great - thanks for the info! I am thinking about strapping a 5# line on it - is it slow? If is really slow, should I consider a 4#?

I don't think it was anywhere as fast as some of the rods today. They were made from one of the earlier generations of graphite and the modulus wasn't that high, maybe like IM6. The tip was delicate to protect fine tippets when fishing tiny dries. I know I used a 4 on it exclusively. If you're making really short casts a 5 might be better. I'd cast it with both then decide, only you know what feels right.

I'm looking for one of those. Do you have one for sale?
Best,
Bill

Back