This is the #1 reason to visit your local fly shop....

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
Enjoyable to read article from Hatch mag about we we visit or should visit fly shops:

https://www.hatchmag.com/articles/1-reason-visit-your-local-fly-shop/7714656

Thanks for the post.

My fly fishing life has really changed and I do all of it now in the western Poconos. This isn't a complaint. It is what I want to do. I am fortunate enough to have two fly shops close by since I don't tie my own flies.

I've also bought a new net, fly reel, and fly line there as well. I will do the same when I upgrade my fly rods/fly reels down the road when I upgrade my casting.

My next purchase will be the Orvis Clearwater Large Arbor fly reel and 5 wt. floating fly line. I am very pleased with the same on my recently purchased 6 wt. version.

Well written.
I fish Pine Creek and the Runs quite often. I try to stop in and shoot the bull with Jed and Izzack at Slate Run Tackle whenever I am in the area. We have fished together, shared a few beers and a lot of laughs. If I need something and can buy it there, I certainly will. I enjoy the shop and the people in it.

When I first got into fly fishing there were 2-3 flyshops in the South Hills of Pittsburgh. One in particular was only 2-3 miles from home. (South Hills Rod and Reel). Rich there was a big help - although it was easy to help since I barely knew a mayfly from a caddis.

Unfortunately he closed up like the others.

After that it was quite a distance to the next shop (International Angler in Aspinwall).

A few years ago an Orvis store opened up in the Galleria- by then I really would only stop there when I needed tippet or flys at the last moment before trips.

Today I lived 3 miles from an Orvis store in Ligonier- it’s nice to know it’s there if I need anything.

For you SEPA guys the Sporting Gentleman has open fishing nights at the shop on Thursday nights with adult beverages (local craft beers and wine). I haver been so busy lately so I havent been able to go, hoping to get back there this Thursday . If you are local and want to shoot the breeze or wet a line with like minded people while you sip on some adult beverages its hard to beat.

http://www.sportinggentleman.com/directions/

I wish I had a local fly shop...nearest one to me is an hour away and never seems to be open when I have time to stop in. There was one around here but it had a fire and never reopened.

I thought all of the "fly fishing rock stars" were on this board??

Any Hilary's out there...?

I buy 90% of my Fly fishing tackle from Fly shop's. I like the touchy feely thing before I buy.

Back