Third Trout on the Fly and the First One on a Dry!

djs12354

djs12354

My friend Dan and I went down the Little Lehigh this morning and had a decent day for a newbie (me) and a more experienced newbie (Dan).

I landed my third fish ever on the fly, a 12" rainbow that took a brass bead head pheasant-tailed nymph, size 18.

The trout I took on the dry hit a size 20, BWO. Fish were rising like crazy!

Dan took a nice rainbow that was 14" or better on a nymph and got a nice brookie on a dry. He also had a nice fish on that threw the fly on him after a brief fight.

We were tired, but happy when we left the water around 2 this afternoon.

Also met SuckerSpawn as we were stripping the gear off. Don't know if there were other forum members there. Didn't see any of the secret hand signs :)

Dave

Attachments

• Dave_March_2_2012.jpg
    Dave_March_2_2012.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 7
  • FIrst_One_on_a_Dry_LL.jpg
    FIrst_One_on_a_Dry_LL.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 3
Nice post and pics Dave...congrats on the first one a dry. I give ya credit for starting on some tougher limestoners like the LL. If you can catch fish there, you can catch em' anywhere for the most part IMO. Looks like you're picking it up pretty quick.

Your excitement comes through in your posts Dave. Its great your having success!

Sounds like you had a memorable trip. Many more. GG

Congrats Dave! Great job!

Thanks. all. Looking forward to next time out on the water. Probably not until next Saturday. I had to go to a funeral today and just got home. Caught a cold from a so-called friend ;-) and don't feel like heading out today.

Hope everyone that is out enjoying today's weather is having success!

Dave

nice job Dave. really cool that you got one on top. never take those rising fish for granted.

Turkey, Thanks.
It took a while of watching them rise to work up the nerve to try and pick out something close to what they were taking and try casting it over them. I piled more than my share of casts trying to work those fish. So anyone who had a better day than usual casting Friday, you owe me one! :lol:

Great job. I agree your excitement comes out in your post. You remind me of me when I started flyfishing! Fun huh?

I love it!

(Two thumbs up)

Your posts are so enjoyable and fun to read. This past Friday I was thinking about you wonder if we were gonna get this update. I'll eagerly await next weeks update! Ill assume your not tying yet so if you need a few more flies for your box let me know and I'll get em in the mail. It would be my pleasure!

Dave, Great read and congrats on your success over weekend!
It was great meeting you and Dan, hope to see you again!
BOL

Congrats Dave... and I'm really impressed. Not that you caught fish. We knew that was going to happen, and there will be plenty more. What impresses me is the fact that you were able to tie on size 18 & 20 files! :-D

I have a heck of a time anymore with stuff that small. I need better "magnifcation". :) I remember when I could tie on a size 26 Trico... in the dark (OK maybe not in the dark LOL).

NorthBranch wrote:
Congrats Dave... and I'm really impressed. Not that you caught fish. We knew that was going to happen, and there will be plenty more. What impresses me is the fact that you were able to tie on size 18 & 20 files! :-D

I have a heck of a time anymore with stuff that small. I need better "magnifcation". :) I remember when I could tie on a size 26 Trico... in the dark (OK maybe not in the dark LOL).

Hey Northbranch,

If you watched me tying, you wouldn't be impressed. It averages 5 or 6 minutes per fly!

Usually, I wind up getting to the point where I take off my regular glasses and fold them into a pocket and get out the magnifier glasses, so that I can see the line and the eye of the hook at the same time. Then, of course, the fingers are cold and I fumble with the tippet while trying to finish the knot! Need to spend more time with fine line just practicing the darn knots!

Dave

Hey Dave,

Congrats on the trout! I recently caught my first fish on a fly rod Sunday....floated a dry fly over a school of trout, snap! Once I got it over to me it was a....sucker!?! Haha yeah, a sucker came UP for a dry fly. Who knew? But - it was still encouraging and fun! =)

- Jimbo

Jimbo87 wrote:
Hey Dave,

Congrats on the trout! I recently caught my first fish on a fly rod Sunday....floated a dry fly over a school of trout, snap! Once I got it over to me it was a....sucker!?! Haha yeah, a sucker came UP for a dry fly. Who knew? But - it was still encouraging and fun! =)

- Jimbo

Hey Jim!

Regardless of species, it must have been exciting to get that first fish! I know I would have been still smiling and probably laughing at myself after I realized it was a sucker if I had been in your shoes.

It won't be long before you get your first trout, I'm sure. And remember....Pictures and a good story about it !

Dave

djs12354 wrote:

Hey Northbranch,

If you watched me tying, you wouldn't be impressed. It averages 5 or 6 minutes per fly!

Usually, I wind up getting to the point where I take off my regular glasses and fold them into a pocket and get out the magnifier glasses, so that I can see the line and the eye of the hook at the same time. Then, of course, the fingers are cold and I fumble with the tippet while trying to finish the knot! Need to spend more time with fine line just practicing the darn knots!

Dave

OK, now I feel better Dave... thought it was just me. :-D

Every couple of years, I have to "up" the magnification... getting old stinks... but it does beat the alternative. :)

Back