thinking about tge yough,

boss_steb

boss_steb

Hi all:

With all of this hot weather I have been thinking about hitting the Yough! It has eaten me up everytime I have ever fished it. Looking for advice. I was thinking of starting early and trying to get off the water before it get's too hot. I heard slate drakes might be popping. Is that a morning or evening hatch?

Any advice would be appreciated?

Boss

They can happen anytime but you need to find type of water where the nymphs live or your peeing up a rope.

I was just there Friday. Fished from 7 am to 3 pm when they raised the water levels. There was sporadic caddis hatches through out the day. They weren't big hatches or anything crazy though. I saw the occasional big mayfly flying around which I'm assuming were slate drakes but I never saw any up close.

I wouldn't beat yourself up too bad about not doing good there. It can be a tough place to wade fly fish for a lot of reasons. There's plenty of fish to catch there tho. Good luck!

I wouldn't worry about it being too hot. The river doesn't warm up until later in August. Some of the best days I've had on the river have occurred when the air temp was near 90. Slate Drakes( dry and nymphs) elk hair cinnamon caddis, and attractor nymphs like hares ear or pheasant tail will all work. Be careful wading. Watch out for rafters, they outnumber the fish this time of year. :) And yes, don't be disappointed if you don't catch much, or even anything, whenever you go.

I ended up staying close to home and hitting some local lakes for sunfish and the occasional small bass...

Boss

Back