Thinking about a boat

paphishin89

paphishin89

So i'd like to purchase a boat this summer so me and my buddy can do some day floats and some camping trips. Outcast pac 1300 is what's on my mind but 5000 is pretty steep. I also like the inflatable raft idea because I would like to float some of the smaller rivers such as the tully. Just wanted your opinions and thoughts on inflatable rafts vs regular drift boats.

I have an inflatable raft with a jointed flexible plywood floor , the manufacturer name is SEA EAGLE most of the outdoor catalogs have them. Cabelas carries the exact same one. It's small but not too small , supposed to be a six man but it will take 3 comfortable but two is perfect. I am an amputee , lost my left leg below the knee in a steel mill accident , before the accident one of the strong points of the raft was being able to stand and cast if you had to , well after a few years practice i can once again stand in the raft and cast , it is very stable. the plywood floor adds some weight but it's distributed. It takes about 3 inches of water to be able not to rub , if you armorall the bottom it slips right over pretty much everything. I LOVE my inflatable raft and if i had to go buy another it would be the exact same. GOOD LUCK CAP'N

Dear paphishin,

Whatever route you take keep in mind the logistics of owning a non-powered boat. I'm not talking about the act of rowing either. I am talking about launching the boat at point A and recovering the boat at point B. You will need a trailer and in all likelyhood 2 vehicles capable of pulling it.

Then there is a the question of storage. With a hard boat you easily know just how much room you will need to store it. With an inflatable it's a bit different because you do have the option of breaking the boat down for storage.

However in places where they are popular, like in the Western US, they are usually kept inflated and water ready during the season so again you might be looking at the same storage requirements as with a hard boat.

I am not trying to talk you out of a boat I just want you to be sure you are considering all the issues of boat ownership? You might be able to score a good used inflatable boat if you are patient. Keep an eye on Craigslist and look at places like WV and western MD where there seem to be more inflatable boats.

For new boats check out Star Inflatables. They always got good writeups on the old Riversmallies board and they seem to be a good bit less expensive than many of the other inflatable rafts.

Good luck in your search!

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

I think now days the best route is to get a kayak and learn to cast from it. A kayak can go anywhere. A boat cannot. I own a boat, love it very much however I can only go to lakes and maybe some deep rivers with it. The boat does not offer any exercise as I feel I need. It takes more gas to get to the lake with a boat and the boat uses gas. Think Green my friend and go with the kayak. If you want to go fishing from a boat you can always call me at 267-338-8753...I live in the philadelphia area, and normally fish up at Noximixon, however I will travel to Blue Marsh or Beltsville with no problem.

" Outcast pac 1300 is what's on my mind but 5000 is pretty steep."

For $5000 you should be able to locate a used drift boat and trailer. I bought my Hyde low profile and trailer for $5200 and that included freight from Idaho. It was quite a few years ago but many of the outfitters on the Delaware are always sellng boats and getting new models. I'd call them to see if any are for sale.

Or you could buy two one man pontoon boats and one of those $900 trailers that Home Depot & Lowe's sells and cam strap one boat on top of the other and you'll spend no more than $2500.

paphishin, everything Tim said is absolutely true. And frankly the shuttle BS is sometimes a pane is the ash. That said, I have a two man Scadden and it is lots of fun. I've made enough bad decisiions for two people, but that boat is fun to fish out of, fun to row, and I even took a date out on it once, and she liked it too!

TimMurphey brings up very valid things to consider , if you are floating you will need a shuttle , one of the main points.

Since wen do you need 2 cars to pull a trailer?
One car to pull a trailer
And with your loaded combined weight being like 1000 tops, you'll be fine with most anything
Shuttling is part of the deal and not a reason to pass on a boat

Storage is an issue
Glass boats don't like to sit in the elements

Look at Michigan
Economy is bombed, so you can find a deal
And their rivers are sand and timber, so boats aren't beat up
If you go out of state for a used boat... Be ready for the pain of making sure boat and trailer both have titles

Hard side boats have some advantages but so do inflatables. An inflatable is a bigger PIA to care for. Honestly ask yourself where you will really be using it, how often will you use it, what kind of storage do you have available and how much do you want to spend. You'll probably answer your own question.

From my perspective, I have a hard boat and the pac 1300, if had to choose one for general fishing all over PA, I'd choose the raft. Given thhe choice, I'll always fish from the hard boat, but keep in mind that the raft will open up a lot of water for you that the hard boat never could. With a couple of guys, you can put in and take out just about anywhere with the raft. That was the first boat I bought, and if I were limited to one boat in PA, it would be rubber.

"Glass boats don't like to sit in the elements"

I was unaware of that issue. I've owned my boat for fourteen years and keep it covered when it is not being used and as far as I can see there has been no element related degradation over those fourteen years. I buy good nylon covers that fit the configuration of the boat properly and I usually rinse and sponge the hull off after every float. About every third float I power wash it inside and out.

I like YoughRiverGuide's logic. Practicality for PA waters, a raft. However, comfortability to fish from, a hard side drift boat. No questions asked. And yes, running shuttles in a PITA.

vcregular wrote:
I like YoughRiverGuide's logic. Practicality for PA waters, a raft. However, comfortability to fish from, a hard side drift boat. No questions asked. And yes, running shuttles in a PITA.

Dear paphishin,

Listen to other people before you drop serious coin on something that will may wind up being a trailer queen, like dozens of drift boats and rafts do every year.

Shuttling is a royal PITA, and I've never shuttled except for a couple of canoe/camping trips.

I base my thoughts on having owned powerboats for decades. Getting to the launch and recovering the boat takes time with them, and they are in and out at the same spot. Shuttling is a different deal in it's entirety, and you will have to do it every time you drop your boat in the water.

Think about shuttling in the pre-dawn and the dark before you spend your money. I'm not your Mom and I am not telling you to not spend your money, I'm just suggesting that you look before you leap.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

I have a kayak, solo-canoe and raft/kickboat combo.
Here is how I see it from my experiences. The yak (Sit on Top) is good for just about any water. Rivers, lakes, streams and large ponds. It can move easily on lakes or still water and cover distance for different spots you may want to fish. It can be loaded for overnight trips and it is a very staple craft, as in I have never taken a spill.
The canoe is similar, but can be loaded with more camping gear. It has a down side...affected by the wind a little more than the yak and that depends on the canoe. Mine has lower sides and some have high sides and more affected. The canoe feels more unstable at first, but you get adjusted quickly and find it is only slightly less than the yak...I have never spilled in the canoe. The inflatable raft/kickboat is my most comfortable boat and the one I use 95% of the time on rivers and ponds. Not good on lakes if you want to cover any distances or spot jumping. It is awesome in the river, since you use fins on your feet to position the boat with a couple kicks. I keep it inflated on its side in the garage all season and deflated on a shelf in the winter. It is a Dave Scadden Assault. I love this thing!
For rivers, all 3 boats need a second car at the take out. I belong to a kayak fishing club and we always have guys ready to fish and shuttle cars available. Lakes, you can do solo.
My suggestion is whatever boat you get, get a solo. Tandems are ok, but not as much freedom hard to navigate solo. The best part of any of these is you toss on the car roof and go to any public water...ramp or no ramp and you are on the water in minutes. Don't get caught up in adding all kinds of gadgets to your boat, as that just makes for more time to load and set up to get on the water and defeats the best part of a boat.
These are just my opinions.
Hope you find something that makes fishing fun for you.

This is what I have http://www.google.com/shopping/product/14317634590102182538?q=inflatable+canoe&hl=en&v=200400000&biw=360&bih=615&sa=X&ei=H19GUZ3LI5DE0AH-kYDwDw&ved=0CEoQrRI.

Thanks for the input everyone. Im really looking into the rafts because of the smaller waters around here. I just want a raft 2 people can stand in to fish. There's room in my garage to keep it and my friend has a smaller trailer that he will sell to me for a couple hundred dollars. As far as shuttling goes my friends and family have no problem driving another car with me so that is taken care of. All I need to do is make a decision on a raft and im set for the summer.
Thanks again

Hi there paphishin89,

I am thinking about selling my 15ft STAR raft with custom frame and trailer. It's totally tweaked out for fly fishing. Kids sports are eating up most of my time for float trips. PM if interested and I will send you some details.

thanks for the offer bowmansbum I actually just ordered a sea eagle foldcat guide pontoon for 1500 free 3 day shipping. It looks like a good entry level boat for me and my buddy to use. Plus it also came with a 3 year warranty and 180 day return policy as long as I dont mess it up to bad :). Im hoping this will bring lots of new fishing territory to me this summer. Thanks for all the help and opinions this one will be able to fold up and I wont even need a trailer.

Back