"Thin" Glue for Small Tinsel Rib Midge Flies

BruceC2C

BruceC2C

Any GravelBar, will do just fine. 365. Fresh&Salt
Requesting suggestions for Ultra Thin/ Fast drying glue as finish for 20-26 midges.

Not, at all, a priority for me to dive into the UV RESINS.

Primary use to finish tinsel ribbed midges I am experimenting with.

To this point, using Miss Sally Hansen
No complaints w her
Just curious if " thinner" viscosity is available.
The more budget friendly, the better.
ThankU

Sally Hansen and and some acetone to thin it (drop by drop. Toothpick to apply.
I've trued thr UV stuff, just doesn't seem to work as well and hella lot more expensive.

Try a single drop in the SH and see if that helps. I'm pretty sure it will change drying time by thinning.

Loon water based head cement, very thin and drys clear. Works well for me on the heads of small flies.
comes with a narrow applicator tip.

Loon water based head cement, very thin and drys clear. Works well for me on the heads of small flies.
comes with a narrow applicator tip.

I've had issues with the water based Loon stuff being essentially repelled by certain materials, particularly thread. I can't say I'd recommend it for anything. It's good 'ol Sally Hansen or UV for me. Coincidentally, Loon is my least favorite UV brand.

top coat nail polish (cheap) will dry around 30 seconds. also ypu can thin it with acitone. same for sally hansons

I'm also a Sally Hansen + acetone (as needed) guy. For whip finished heads I've been brushing some on the thread and then do a 3 turn finish. Seems to be working. I did just tie a few baetis nymph patterns that called for a uv finished thread body. Solarez sells a little $12 kit that has a small uv light and little container of their "bone dry" goo. I've only done 1 fly with it so far but it worked as advertised. I wouldn't fuss with the uv stuff for securing whip finishes though. Sally's for that.

I'm a thin head cement for everything person (excluding classic wets) and I hate having to thin constantly to get to the almost water-like consistency I prefer.

In the old days it was Pharmacist Formula & Griff's Thin (I really miss that stuff)...

These days it's the stuff Harry Murray makes which I guess is the NEW "Pharmacist's Formula."

In the old days it was Pharmacist Formula & Griff's Thin (I really miss that stuff)...

These days it's the stuff Harry Murray makes which I guess is the NEW "Pharmacist's Formula."
I started with Griff's thin. That was good stuff.

I was unaware of this stuff. Thanks for the tip!

I was unaware of this stuff. Thanks for the tip!

I didn't check the website but Harry also USED to sell a bigger bottle of both the head cement & the thinner at a better price. I picked up a few the last time I was at his shop a few years ago.

It's good stuff and I like supporting small shops & independently made products.

I put a little super glue on the thread and usually only out 2 wraps on the fly.

head-cement.jpg

Back