The Yough- a great mystery

Acristickid

Acristickid

Hello- all. I am spending the second half of the summer on the Yough. Hot as the ****ens out these days!! I have caught fish there but I would consider most of my forays fairly fruitless. Now don't get me wrong; I have a blast being out on the water and trying to figure things out but I get frustrated. I do not fish near the dam. I like more solitude being away from the roads etc... Looking at the USGS data, the flows are greatly increased on the weekends for the boaters. This has to affect the fishing but not sure how. Is it better to fish while the water is increasing or falling?? while temps rise or fall?? I know their are giant browns that lurk there and hear of folks that use streamers and crayfish patterns in the bigger pools. I have fished up from Ohiopyle,the islands down from Ramcat,Ramcat,and around ferncliff pennisula. Anyone have similar experince? I think I am starting to feel sick on a Wednesday soon to try it during the low flow period. Thanks in advance for supporting mental breakdown at the yough! Paul

Well, lets see...fish supposedly bite better on the outgoing tide...so maybe they bit better as the water rises...I have no idea...but wherever you find the coldest water is your best bet. The people I have talked to are catching most of their fish in the evening on large attractor dries...Sounds like a great place to stay cool. Jack M will be along shortly to give you the real scoop. (Unless its a secret) Shhhhhsh

I have found the Yough to be a great enigma. I've been fishing it for 25 years and still can't really figure it out. That being said, there are what I believe to be some truisms. Typically, when they open the gates, the fishing slows... temporarily. Wading is easier when flows are below 900 cfs. Unlike other streams, the best fishing right now on the river is mid-day, and the sunnier and hotter the better. The water is still frigid, the sun and warm air helps to stimulate insect activity which in turn stimulates the fishing. Generally, caddis imitations are fairly consistant. Cinnamon size 16 and 18 works well for me. Later this month the water will start to warm as the reservoir runs out of cold water. (Yes, it's true. River temps around Labor day can reach 70 degrees.) When this happens, mornings and evenings are your best bet. Watch for rising fish in riffles. Their forms can be subtle but once you know what to look for, you'll be able to pick out a rising fish in white water (almost). Of course, this is teh Yough and wading safety cannot be over-emphasized. Corkers and a wading staff are needed. Good fishing to you.

rising fish always
schrec

schrec wrote:
Later this month the water will start to warm as the reservoir runs out of cold water. (Yes, it's true. River temps around Labor day can reach 70 degrees.)

Do you mean 70 degrees for the outflow water from the dam? Or 70 degrees downriver from Confluence a ways?

BTW, here's a theory for people's consideration, from someone who "ain't from around there" but who has visited occassionally, who is also puzzled by the enigma of this big beautiful river (meaning I haven't caught many fish there and the ones I caught were small.)

My theory is the reason for the "enigmatic" nature of the river is that........ errrr......., not sure how to say this politely, but there aren't many adult fish in the river.

Sure people catch honking big fish once in a while. But overall the number of fish in the mid-range, say 10-16 inches, that you would expect might make up the bulk of the fishing in a river like that, is pretty low. Whaddya think?

And I'm not talking about the fresh stockies right below the dam. No enigma there!

Almost all of the adult fish are stocked from the dam to the mouth of the Casselman. I am pretty certain PFBC only stocks in that section. All other PFBC stocked trout are "fingerlings" from below the Casselman to Ohiopyle. So if you are catching 6-9 inch fish below the Casselman, they are stocked fingerling of probably less than a year in the stream. If you are catching 10-16 inch trout below there, they are likely 2-years in-stream or longer fingerling plants. Finally, if you are catching trout bigger than 16 inches below the Casselman, they are grownup fingerlings and are typically very strong, healthy wild-ish trout. Now I realize trout travel and I now have learn the Chestnut Ridge TU does some adult stocking below the Casselman, so there are exceptions to the above rule. From below the Casselman River, the water grown in total volume (obviously). The dam-released water is about 48 degrees coming out. The Casselman, this time of year is probably into the mid-70s. The water keeps a thermal separation for a good distance downstream from the confluence, but begin to mix as it flows through the Ramcat area and beyond. What I have found is that the trout find their optimum temperature, which over the past 3-4 weeks has been from mid-river to the Somerset shore in the area of Ramcat. The riffles at Ramcat and the ensuing half-mile of pocket water does a good job of mixing the water together and fish will be found throughout the pockets. I do not expect big fish-days at the Yough, but have come to expect to have an occasional big-fish day. Fish big nymphs and streamers in the pockets and riffles and look for risers in the slower pools and flats. If you find risers, watch what they are taking and show it to them over and over until they take it. You won't be disappointed. That's all I'm saying now.

troutbert,
Sorry I just saw this posting today. Water temps at Confluence can reach 70 degrees in early September. The cool water in the reservoir is actually gone! I was very concerned about this and several years ago wrote a letter to the USACE about this topic. Here is their response:

Dear Mr. Schrecongost
In response to your message of September 19, I can assure you that maintenance of the excellent coldwater fishery downstream of Youghiogheny Dam is in fact very high on the Pittsburgh District's list of priorities. Therefore, we coordinate regularly with the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission, the Chestnut Ridge Chapter of Trout Unlimited, and others to operate the project in a manner that will protect and improved the fishery.

Your understanding that we withdrawal and release from the bottom strata of Youghiogheny River Lake is correct. At this structure we can only withdrawal and release from the bottom of the lake and have no other option. The seasonal warming that you have observed is a consequence of a warming of the lake that occurs at about this time during most years, after all of the colder water stored in the deep strata of the lake has been discharged and replaced by warmer waters. IN OTHER WORDS, YOU ARE SEEING 70 DEGREE WATER BECAUSE THE WATER AT TEH BOTTOM OF THE LAKE HAS WARMED TO 70 DEGREES. This results in not only a cool summer discharge, but also a warmer than might be expected autumn discharge, which nonetheless seldom exceeds temperatures optimal to support a Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission approved trout fishery in the river downstream as far as Connellsville, PA.

We share your concerns about this very valuable resource.

Sincerely
Michael Koryak

As far as your belief about smaller fish in the river, you may be right. I've caught some larger fish but most have been stocked.

If the water is coming from the dam is 70 degrees, how can the following be true?

"nonetheless seldom exceeds temperatures optimal to support a Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission approved trout fishery in the river downstream as far as Connellsville, PA."

The water from the dam is 70, the water coming down the Casselman must be around 80 in the summer, those two mix, and then it's a long way to Connelsville, out there in the sun with little shade. From that it seems like it would be bathwater warm by Ohiopyle. I hope it's not, just wondering.

Schrec is right about the water temp getting warmer below the dam in late summer. Fortunately. by that time of year, the weather usually starts cooling down, and keeps the temp in fairly decent range. However, I have seen water temps above 70 late sept. The best thing to do, is fish close to the dam when the discharge is still cold, and move further downstream late summer and fall, when the water can be cooler there. Anyways, a thermometer is a must when fishing there.

troutbert: take my word on it - there are plenty of nice size fish in the Yough! You just have to learn when and where to catch them.

acristickid: the high water on weekends seems to affect the surface feeding, but I doubt it would affect nymph and streamer fishing. For dry fly fishing, the lower the better in my experience

Had a good day last week there! Thanks for the support. The flow looks too high to fish there this weekend. I hope the come down today. Paul

I would also like to add that fingerling predation most likely plays a HUGE role in the #'s of trout in the river. Have you ever seen the size of the muskies in the yough? There are some absolute monsters cruising the river, not to mention the walleye and smallies as well. The fingerlings make for easy prey. The lower river, from West Newton to Connellsville, sees less of this predation because the average size of fish stocked is much higher (12-15in)

Its about 4 hours from my shack to the Yuck ( i call it that for good reason sorry if i have upset the Yuk crowd) Have fished it hard many many times and although it has good water i yet have seen fish ,spooked or otherwise. I think its a big river and like all rivers you gotta know where to go and when. Just my opinion.

I know it is just your opinion, but those of us who live closer are perhaps more informed and thus have a better basis for our opinion. The Yough has really grown on me and the hatches there are either getting a lot better or I'm finding myself more aware of them. I have been fishing to rising trout for the past month and a half. I think someone said you have to put your time in and that's true. I never liked to hear that myself, but with the Yough, I think it is a valid point because the river is unnatural in a certain sense, it's ups and downs being effected by both the Casselman and the dam release schedule, which varies with rainfall and recreational releases. The trout have a pretty good food supply. Although it has some characteristics of other tailrace rivers, it really is more of bit the classic freestone, particularly below the confluence. Yet, it's fertility is relatively high. There are some awfully deep areas as well as shallower flats and riffles. So, in short, it is truely a unique river, but as you get to know it, it becomes slightly less inscrutable (or should I say it becomes more scrutable?) I expect to continue to learn more and more about the river until I will one day be able to proudly say I know a little bit about it.

The Yock-A-Gay-Knee as its is pronounced is a great fishery as i have stated and I apologise to any i have offended. As in any body of water, time spent on it is invauable and cannot be replaced by maps or advice. I am sure its a geat river and has many fine things on it to make your time fishing enjoyable and rewarding. I like small remote streams and find myself getting too judgemental on big smelly, people infested, fishless rivers. :lol:

Back