The woes of the cheap vice

mrwisker

mrwisker

At one point in time I was tickled that I got my vice and base from cabelas. 20.00 for the vice and 18.00 for the base.
Never used the base (tried the clamp first) and after the first time I used the vice...it fell apart. The cam bolt was never tightend or was missing the nut. The super II vice was a bust.
SO... after returning the vice without a problem and a look of we get a lot of these back, I returned the vice and the base.
Since I had a very lucrative day selling at the flea market right down the road from Cabelas, I decided to upgrade to the reagal medallion vice.(one of the guys at the tying class loaned me one to use)
I do have to give props to Cabelas though.
They honored a shelf price mixup. I got a 220.00 vise for 160.00 (actually 150.00 with points)
I would have taken the traveler model for the honored price, but since the first vise I took up was the good model, that was the one they gave me.

Sorry to hear about the vise that feel apart, talk about a bummer. :( . Hopefully the new one will serve you well for many years to come...

I tied on a cheap vise for many years until a hook popped out and nearly went in my eye. I had no idea what I was missing! Of course that started a whole vice collecting problem...
Good luck with the Regal!
Mike.

I tied on the biggest piece of crap for a year before upgrading to a peak rotary vise. It is nice working on a good vise. The machining is nice and it adds another depth of enjoyment for those who enjoy nice tools. Back to my original vise, I think brand new it was $10-12 and it was far from new when I used it. Still, it allowed me to tie, and for that I am grateful.

I started tying with a cheap Bass Pro kit vise, just to be sure I was going to enjoy it. After tying a hundred size 14 pheasant tails, hares ears, caddis pupa and green weenies, I upgraded to the Renzetti Traveler. Like FT says, I never realized what I was missing.

Back