The Vanishing Trout - a book review

I bought a new copy from FFP several years ago, and after that I searched around the net , Alibris had a first edition so now I have 2 copies. I also found "Bodines." which is an old book about the Lycoming.

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~pasulliv/gallery/Rafting.htm

Dwight: In this 1928 publication, the author, Fred Rogers, mentions the "Cold Watch" as being located below the mouth of Ogdonia Run. He does not explain the origin of the name or the nature of the water at that location but he mentions that it is (was) located on the Moses Lewis Farm. I believe Charles Lose mentions fishing the Lewis Farm in "Vanishing Trout."

Tups wrote:
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~pasulliv/gallery/Rafting.htm

Dwight: In this 1928 publication, the author, Fred Rogers, mentions the "Cold Watch" as being located below the mouth of Ogdonia Run. He does not explain the origin of the name or the nature of the water at that location but he mentions that it is (was) located on the Moses Lewis Farm. I believe Charles Lose mentions fishing the Lewis Farm in "Vanishing Trout."

Good stuff. I think Vanishing Trout also mentions there being a Lewis sawmill. There is still a Lewis Lumber company in the area.

I got this brand new reprint (1993) of that awesome book for $60. It puts you back in a time when streams were teeming with big natives! I've read it twice so far.

Attachments

• IMG_1469 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_1469 (Custom).JPG
    15.5 KB · Views: 3
Well I'm a little over halfway through this book, guess I'm taking my time and savoring it. So far my favorite chapters have been A Week On Middle Creek and A Week at Long Cabin With Johnnie. Sometimes I think I was born in the wrong time period, I'd love to go back and experience the PA mountains when they were still unspoiled.

Mountainbrookie: I am in complete sympathy with your thoughts on the stories in this book. Loses' account of one of his annual week-long visits to Johnny's camp is priceless. His description of the rise and fall of the tributary below the cabin window sticks in my mind, and the tale of the hog and rattlesnake reveals the author's love of the rustic life. I can't get enough of this subject.

Another PA author of a generation prior to Lose is Henry Shoemaker, who also wrote in the arcadian vein. Good stuff.

Just to be contrary, I wonder if the author exaggerated to "make his point?" Thoughts?

JackM wrote:
Just to be contrary, I wonder if the author exaggerated to "make his point?" Thoughts?
Hey, he was a fisherman, they all lie, I mean stretch the truth, I mean exaggerate, you know what I mean. :-o On a more serious note I own a copy of the 1993 reprint and it is a VERY good read. I love the history.

Jack,
My thought is that he didn't exaggerate. Old guys spoke of the nice brook trout in streams around here a couple generations before I started fishing. Fortunately, the streams have held up well enough to produce wild browns.

Have you ever read the book? If not, you really ought to. It is a nice read and really speaks of the dear departed days of yesteryear. I might, and I emphasize might, even be willing to lend you my copy.

Rich

How's my paragraphing now? :)

Better, Rich. I may see if the library has it. Sounds like a good read, even if a few tall tales are sprinkled in for good measure.

Mountainbrookie wrote:
Well I'm a little over halfway through this book, guess I'm taking my time and savoring it. So far my favorite chapters have been A Week On Middle Creek and A Week at Long Cabin With Johnnie. Sometimes I think I was born in the wrong time period, I'd love to go back and experience the PA mountains when they were still unspoiled.

His descriptions capture the look and feel of Penns Woods better than anything I've ever read. Not just the way things were then, but the way things still are now in the forested areas of PA.

troutbert wrote:
Mountainbrookie wrote:

His descriptions capture the look and feel of Penns Woods better than anything I've ever read. Not just the way things were then, but the way things still are now in the forested areas of PA.
Are you forgetting all the gas wells that dot the landscape now?

this is a landmark book, I may have fly fish trip on this kind of treatise, just for the no record.

Had to bring back this thread.

Finally found this book at a flea market in perfect condition. Can't believe they only wanted 6 bucks for it.
Score!

Can't wait to read it

salvelinusfontinalis wrote:
Had to bring back this thread.

Finally found this book at a flea market in perfect condition. Can't believe they only wanted 6 bucks for it.
Score!

Can't wait to read it

I'll give you 12 bucks! You can double your money!

There is a copy of the 1990s reprint available on Ebay for $40.

And a copy of the 1931 first edition available on Amazon for $75.

Both of these prices are reasonable for this book.

Sal did better at the flea market! But I'm not sure how often you're likely to find a copy that way.

Back