The Tully This Time of Year

MD_Gene

MD_Gene

Anyone know of the conditions of the Tully and if it's been productive this time of year? Thanks in advance.

The flow is just being lowered after running high for a while:

Tully Flow

And the lower SR area was stocked last week on 10/17.

I would keep an eye on the flow if you go.

Good luck.

I fished it for a couple of hours last Monday, the day before the Fall stocking. It was 370ish CFS, which was high, but fishable. Lots of leaves, weeds, and other debris in the flow. I landed one 12" Bow and stung a nice Brown well into the teens from the deeper riffs. I was fishing a small BWO nymph below a size 16ish caddis nymph. The Bow definitely took the BWO. Not sure what the Brown took.

The Brown probably took your Yellow Jacket fly.

foxtrapper1972 wrote:
The Brown probably took your Yellow Jacket fly.

They were definitely out in full force. Didn't get stung last week but it was a rough year for bee stings for me. One bald faced hornet, two paper wasps, and four YJ's.

The YJ's were by far the worst. Hurt for 3 or 4 days after and itched for another week after that. The paper wasps and the hornet hurt for a few minutes and then were done.

Fall fishing can be productive when the flow is 250 or less. I prefer it to be less than 200. I don't fish it at 300+cfs.

What USGS gauge are you guys using?

This:

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv?01470960

It is located above the waterworks.

Heard that the RT's stocked this fall in the Tully were quite better than average in size.

Yes Mike, and we distributed them well from Rebers Bridge to and including the AT area. We had a sight casualty, one of the guys float stocking with us took the Full Monty, went in over his head.

Had an interesting conversation with the local WCO the other day. Guess where some of the Keystone Select trout have been caught lately? The Schuylkill River. He either took pictures or saw pictures of them, can't remember as I was stunned. Which means they went downstream a few miles and over the dam at Gring's Mill.

Back