The Swap that Never Swapped?

MD_Gene

MD_Gene

There was a "swap" about a year and a half or two ago. The best I can tell, is everyone sent thier flies to the facilitator. The facilitator never sent them out. Anyone know anything more about that debacle. I suspect it was a teenager seeing what he could get away with.

MD_Gene wrote:
There was a "swap" about a year and a half or two ago. The best I can tell, is everyone sent thier flies to the facilitator. The facilitator never sent them out. Anyone know anything more about that debacle. I suspect it was a teenager seeing what he could get away with.

Why assume it was a teenager?

I know it's a generalization but I have been on this board a long time. The people that I have met at the jams and beyond all seem honest. I just can imagine some young people talking about getting over the people on the board.

No one knew the person other than what they read on the board. It wasn't like, "Well I fished with Joe last summer, he's as honest as the day is long in June".

Do you know the person who stiffed the others?

The infamous Terrestrial Swap of 2010! A few of us got cheated out of a couple flies and postage. It happens, the host has never came back to the site, at least not under that username anyways. I often fish up near where he lives/lived and often wonder if we have crossed paths.
As I have hosted several swaps since then, I can say from experience that sometimes life does get in the way of good intentions. I really don't need an explanation of what happen, for I can waste $20 bucks in a lot of worst ways than a failed fly swap. Besides, if someone needs a couple dozen flies, I sure the members of this board would be more than happy to donate some of there extras!

JH

Ok, I was just wondering. It seemed a bit curious that you immediately singled out teenagers, when, being one myself, I couldn't be able to do that to you guys. Plus, some of you know who I am :D But no, I do not know who did it. When did this take place???

gaeronf wrote:
Ok, I was just wondering. It seemed a bit curious that you immediately singled out teenagers, when, being one myself, I couldn't be able to do that to you guys. Plus, some of you know who I am :D But no, I do not know who did it. When did this take place???

Gaeron, don't you know that all teenagers are suspect ;-)
It took place in 2010. the guy was a regular poster and may have even been in a swap previously. As Flyfishermanj pointed out much more eloquently, stuff happens. I haven't counted, but between this forum and the FlyTying forum, I have probably participated in close to 30 swaps. This was the only one that went bad. I don't know why MD_Gene is dredging this up, but I would rather focus on all of the successful swaps we have had lately.
Mike.

Back