The price of flies

wbranch

wbranch

Okay, I had a real harebrained idea this morning. Drive up to Big Spring, where I have never caught a trout, and fish in a totally blue sky and 91 degrees. Not using my head. Anyway I realized that there wasn't one single sub surface fly in any of the six fly boxes in my vest. I stopped off at TCO Boiling Springs and bought one scud and one (I have no idea what it is) bedhead nymph. I figured worst case $5.00. The guy behind the counter just looks at me cooly and says "That will be $8.37". I was numb! How could two nymphs cost $4.00 each?

Attachments

• 20240619_155006.jpg
    20240619_155006.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 286
  • 20240619_155016.jpg
    20240619_155016.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 48
The prices of everything are higher than a hippie on a helicopter ride.

Last edited:
😳 that’s crazy.

The real question is did you catch any fish with your $4 flies?

😳 that’s crazy.

The real question is did you catch any fish with your $4 flies?
Haha, absolutely not. When I stepped out of the car after an hour & ten minute air conditioned drive I immediately wilted and realized at 81 I would be a statistic if I actually fished. I took a couple of pictures and just took a very long scenic drive home on 174. BS is just not for me. It never was and it never will be. I need big water with lots of big wild trout. I did though enjoy the day. At the pull over where I took the pictures there was a stone Mason working across the street on what is either a new construction or a renovation.

Attachments

• 20240619_122942.jpg
    20240619_122942.jpg
    564.4 KB · Views: 123
  • 20240619_122938.jpg
    20240619_122938.jpg
    514.9 KB · Views: 119
  • 20240619_122853.jpg
    20240619_122853.jpg
    475.4 KB · Views: 122
  • 20240619_123218.jpg
    20240619_123218.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 121
Okay, I had a real harebrained idea this morning. Drive up to Big Spring, where I have never caught a trout, and fish in a totally blue sky and 91 degrees. Not using my head. Anyway I realized that there wasn't one single sub surface fly in any of the six fly boxes in my vest. I stopped off at TCO Boiling Springs and bought one scud and one (I have no idea what it is) bedhead nymph. I figured worst case $5.00. The guy behind the counter just looks at me cooly and says "That will be $8.37". I was numb! How could two nymphs cost $4.00 each?
Maybe you should have considered a vice, scissors, cement, hooks, beads, thread, feathers, fur, ribbing, flash…you get the picture. Those would have been $50 considering my time.

I fish BS a few times a year. That house burned down quite a while ago. Glad to see it’s finally getting rebuilt.

Haha, absolutely not. When I stepped out of the car after an hour & ten minute air conditioned drive I immediately wilted and realized at 81 I would be a statistic if I actually fished. I took a couple of pictures and just took a very long scenic drive home on 174. BS is just not for me. It never was and it never will be. I need big water with lots of big wild trout. I did though enjoy the day. At the pull over where I took the pictures there was a stone Mason working across the street on what is either a new construction or a renovation.
You'll notice that stone mason is working in the shade. ;)

Unfortunately the old mill apartments have not had any work done on it for over a year. I have asked what is going on and no one seems to know what the problem is. When they did the initial clean up and securing the site they had big plans such as a restaurant and so on. I am having my doubts!

I fished a stream today, and it was awesome. No, it wasn't Big Spring, but it had cold water in this heat wave and the trout were very, very willing.

If I were on Big Spring, I would have been throwing dries with long leaders. If you don't catch anything, move to the riffles and nymph up the bows.

I had "sticker shock" regarding the price of flies along with HopBack last year at The Feathered Hook. Flies apparently cost a fortune to tie, many of which are tied in sweat shops in third world countries, or so I would imagine when you see the origins of the flies.

I fished a stream today, and it was awesome. No, it wasn't Big Spring, but it had cold water in this heat wave and the trout were very, very willing.
I'm hoping for similar results tomorrow on one of my favorite streams.

Regarding crazy fly prices, The Fly Stop and forget about it! Very reasonable, with fast delivery. Surprisingly, the quality is pretty darn good too.

Regarding crazy fly prices, The Fly Stop and forget about it! Very reasonable, with fast delivery. Surprisingly, the quality is pretty darn good too.
Come onnnnn......The real answer to your fly needs? Tie em. You tie, right? I understand you might have to buy flies in a pinch, but I hate buying flies. Even if I buy em, they usually sit in my boxes and never get used anyways.

Good luck on your stream tomorrow. I left my house pretty early this morning, and it was well worth it.

Naaa, I don't tie. That's why I use The Fly Stop for my fly needs, which are very few. I've got flies in my boxes that I won't live long enough to use. :) Thanks, I'll let you know how I do tomorrow.

I do need to mention, I admire those who do tie their own flies. It really is an art.

Last edited:
Maybe you should have considered a vice, scissors, cement, hooks, beads, thread, feathers, fur, ribbing, flash…you get the picture. Those would have been $50 considering my time.
I don't understand your post. I don't get the picture. I tie. I just didn't have any subsurface flies with me. I think $4 is steep, especially for a simple beadhead. Admittedly the scud took more time, worth $3.00.

Flies from a shop are 2.75 to 3,00 on the Upper Delaware. Specialty flies are more as well as streamers, The flies Matt bought are nothing really involved to tie. Pretty steep in my opinion. I tie 99% of the flies I fish. Premium hooks and Tungstun beads can add to the price. I typically dont use nymphs on a regular basis opting for dries and wet flies. This is the way I choose to fish.

I do like big stonefly nymphs. I wondor what they cost at TCO. Yikes!!!

I don't understand your post. I don't get the picture. I tie. I just didn't have any subsurface flies with me. I think $4 is steep, especially for a simple beadhead. Admittedly the scud took more time, worth $3.00.
$4 for a simple Euro nymph beadhead like that is RIDICULOUS.

Naaa, I don't tie. That's why I use The Fly Stop for my fly needs, which are very few. I've got flies in my boxes that I won't live long enough to use. :) Thanks, I'll let you know how I do tomorrow.

I do need to mention, I admire those who do tie their own flies. It really is an art.
I know you love the parachute Adams, so I'll tell you about today. I was fishing ant dry flies and just wondering why I couldn't catch anything. I love an ant. Then I put on a parachute Adams. I think it took my two casts the connect. Lots of fish wanted the Adams.

Last edited:
I know you love the parachute Adams, so I'll tell you about today. I was fishing and dry flies and just wondering why I couldn't catch anything. I love an ant. Then I put on a parachute Adams. I think it took my two casts the connect. Lots of fish wanted the Adams.
That's awesome! It's the one fly that rarely fails me. I keep a serious supply of them in 14 & 16.

I like the Big Y Fly Co,their flies are very good quality.Beadheads .89 to $1.12.I'm not promoting for them,I just like their flies and prices are great. bigyflyco.com

My post, maybe not well explained, meant to point out the price of flies are cheap whether local or from China and you wouldn’t get them from me at those prices.

Back