The Power of Water

jifigz

jifigz

This post will say nothing new, but the power of water always amazes me.

I fished a small limestone influenced stream yesterday, one that I am rather fond of and fish several times each year, and found it completely changed from how it was a few weeks ago. Just a few days ago, central PA got some serious thunderstorms that moved through. The rain gauge in my yard showed 3 inches of rain and it only rained for a little more than an hour. It was really putting it down.

A few weeks ago there were several trees over the stream that were about 2 feet in diameter. Yesterday, they were all gone. I have no idea where they went, but they weren't there. The stream channel was also completely changed. There used to be a small island the stream separated on each side. Now, the water had been totally shifted and all of the water was on one side of the island. The water was clearly so high above the banks that all vegetation was plowed over as far away as 50 feet form the stream bed. It must have been really raging.

I found good fishing yesterday, however. The stream was now in perfect condition. The waters were slightly stained and the levels were great. I found some eager fish to eat a pink San Juan. I landed about 6 browns and missed many others. Some simple pics will soon follow.

But the amount of devastation and, dare I say, improvement that this high water event had was impressive. I love fishing these little limestone influenced trickles.

Sounds very similar to whats has been going on with the local creeks I fish, (Fishing creek (Columbia co.) and Loyalsock creek). Both of these have seemed to be quite different almost everytime Ive went since 2018.

"A man never fishes the same stream twice, because he's never the same man, and it's never the same stream."

Also knotweed, shmotweed, I hate knotweed.

Many folks want to try and fight the power of water and try to move streams back to where they were prior to floods. More and more I am of the opinion that we should let streams adjust as they please after these significant rain events where infrastructure such as major roads, bridges etc isn't in danger. Mother nature can be quite good at healing herself if given the opportunity.

I sort of have to agree after visiting some of these stream projects. I especially hate seeing trees cut on banks or removed from the stream. Let it alone!

Where streams are cutting laterally, people say "bank erosion!!!" and want to stabilize the stream banks.

But in many of these cases the stream had been artificially straightened years ago, and the stream is now cutting sideways and regaining its normal sinuosity.

So, bank erosion can be a form of natural restoration.

Of course if the floodplain is developed, that lateral cutting will threaten whatever developments are there, whether they be corn fields, houses, sewer lines, roads, bike paths, golf courses, state parks, etc.

It is something to see when youre walking to the stream and long before you get to the stream the vegetation is plowed over and muddy. Just imagine standing where you are with the water that high! And then be thankful youre not!

You know what they say you never step in the same creek twice.

Back