The Original Yellow Breeches Fly Shop

BrookTroutLover

BrookTroutLover

This might be a long shot, but does anyone have photos of the inside of the Yellow Breeches Fly Shop from the 1970s? Have been reminiscing lately about my early influences in the hobby, among which was a visit to the Breeches during White Fly season in about 1977.

No, but I hope you find some. The only fly shop around here in those days. Bought my first cane rod there. I remember drooling over a T&T Classic 7.5' 5 weight. It was $250. A lot of money then but my buddy talked me into it. No regrets ever!

I have a vague memory of going in that shop in the early 1970s.

But I don't even remember exactly where it was located.

Right where it is now on the lake! Later on wildlife artist Gerald Putt was next door. I think Ed Koch ran the fly shop back then.

While we're at it, does anybody remember the fly shop in the house next to the current Deb's in Cross Fork? I think it was an Orvis shop. that was 70s too.

Can you tell I'm bored?

salvelinus wrote:
Right where it is now on the lake! Later on wildlife artist Gerald Putt was next door. I think Ed Koch ran the fly shop back then.

Correct.

It was the building that is currently the TCO shop and that was originally a 1890s dance hall.

Koch started it as a fly shop in the early 1970s. Putt was still there into the 1980s or 90s after the fly shop had changed ownership. The side section that was Putt's store was vacant for many years and the wall was knocked out by TCO to make room for what is today the shop's fly tying materials section.

There are pics of Koch in his shop but I'm not sure how much of the interior is visible.

That was THE shop for me a long time ago...

During my Iwamasa phase, I remember asking Tom Baltz if they had any "hen backs" as they were referred to in the day. He pointed at two small wooden barrels on the floor next to the fly cases, (which were in the front of the store at that time) that were filled to the top with hen backs and assorted Chinese and Indian necks.

I dumped them out on the floor, sat down and rummaged through while chatting with Tom. I still have a bunch of those necks!!

Then there was the "Letort Survival Kit" in the showcase... ;-)

I also still think about a couple of Maxwell Leonard rods I lusted for every time I went in the shop but the $800 price tag was beyond my means at the time.

The shop was still pretty good till about the last three ownership changes. Now it is just another boring sterile fly shop.

For the record, I miss Cold Spring Anglers too. When it was stocked, they had way more to choose from than the last three iterations of the Yellow Breeches shop.

Herb was a hoot too!!

salvelinus -

I remember the Orvis shop in Cross Fork well
Ran by a guy named Charlie Stone.
His wife ran a tiny restaurant in the same building too, called Erms.
Think it was a convenience store too.

When Charlie passed away, it all closed up. And had a for sale sign on it for years.
Never reopened again as business as far as I know

Well if we’re gonna pine for the old days how about the original Hotel Manor. I think the first time I went there, a sammich and a bottle of beer was about $6-7.
Really miss the old place.

Earliest I was in YB fly shop was early 80’s. Didn’t impress me as a 16 yr old.

salvelinus wrote:

While we're at it, does anybody remember the fly shop in the house next to the current Deb's in Cross Fork? I think it was an Orvis shop. that was 70s too.

Yes, I remember that place well. "Stony" was a great story teller.

He had an aquarium with a wire screen over it in the store that he put mayfly nymphs in, and when they'd hatch out you could see the mayflies on the screen.

I remember eating breakfast there and it was about $2.50 or something like that. The "restaurant" part of it was very small, probably with only seating for 6 people or so.

It was a fly shop and had some other general sporting goods stuff, and some food items, all in a pretty small space.

Yeah - I mainly ate at Erms place just to hear Stoneys tall tales.
I kinda thought he was full of schit - but still enjoyed hearing the stories.
And I don't think he took himself very seriously, either

Maybe it will revert back to a dancehall again. It would be great to listen to a live band while dancing a and looking at the lake.

Bamboozle wrote:
For the record, I miss Cold Spring Anglers too. When it was stocked, they had way more to choose from than the last three iterations of the Yellow Breeches shop.

Herb was a hoot too!!

Because I can't throw anything away ...this thing's been sitting in my office for 20 years.

Attachments

• CSA_hat.jpeg
    CSA_hat.jpeg
    115.6 KB · Views: 4
I worked at the shop for the last 3 owners. Bill Skilton from the Pa. Fly Fishing Museum would be your go to person. He worked for Ed and was the manager of the shop in the 70s. If anyone has pictures or information it is Bill.

Bill Skilton was and still is an awesome dude. His wife Nancy is just as nice. I remember Cold Spring Anglers with Herb/Kathy Weigl- they were good folks and I supported them regularly. Store was always well stocked. Going way back, does anyone remember Lock Stock Barrel & Bow in Boiling Springs? I used to go in there too in the early 80s. Man, time flies...

sgrim wrote:
Bamboozle wrote:

Herb was a hoot too!!

Because I can't throw anything away ...this thing's been sitting in my office for 20 years.
I have and are still using a couple of Cold Spring Anglers Myran boxes I got at Herb's, along with a TON of fly tying materials, a Winston Rod, and a couple of nylon Simms belts (not-wading) that I've been wearing almost daily since Dusty sold them to me eons ago!

I have their Myran boxes and materials too. And one of my favorite lids, a "Bite Me" ball cap.

It was also at Herb's where I saw my first Dietrich Brothers "Dreamcatcher" bamboo fly rods which at the time were selling for about $100 more than a top of the line Sage or Winston graphite.

It wasn't long after that I contacted Wyatt Dietrich and pulled the trigger...

Sadly, Dietrich Brothers no longer builds rods.

I was in the fly shop once sometime in the 70's, on my first visit to the Yellow Breeches. I vaguely remember the shop, but do remember catching maybe 10 trout nymphing with a GRHE. A good time fishing. I located the shop and stream from reading Fly Fisherman magazine.

I was in the YBO shop all the time. Bill and Dusty and the Basset hound. I miss it.

Dusty left, after the break up of the owners and went to Cold Spring Anglers I believe.

Jim

Bamboozle wrote:
That was THE shop for me a long time ago...

During my Iwamasa phase, I remember asking Tom Baltz if they had any "hen backs" as they were referred to in the day. He pointed at two small wooden barrels on the floor next to the fly cases, (which were in the front of the store at that time) that were filled to the top with hen backs and assorted Chinese and Indian necks.

I dumped them out on the floor, sat down and rummaged through while chatting with Tom. I still have a bunch of those necks!!

Then there was the "Letort Survival Kit" in the showcase... ;-)

I also still think about a couple of Maxwell Leonard rods I lusted for every time I went in the shop but the $800 price tag was beyond my means at the time.

The shop was still pretty good till about the last three ownership changes. Now it is just another boring sterile fly shop.

For the record, I miss Cold Spring Anglers too. When it was stocked, they had way more to choose from than the last three iterations of the Yellow Breeches shop. Yes.....Remember the barrels with the necks in them and other materials also......Bought all my fly tying stuff there.....Also remember the " survival kit " .... Jack Daniels was popular even back then..... And the Leonard Rods looked good but I turned out to be a Cortland to Fenwick to finally Winston rod guy.....

Herb was a hoot too!!

Back