The New Fiberglass fly rods

S

skeeter bite

I've noticed that there is a resurgence in interest in fiberglass fly rods. It seems there is a number of small builders turning these out as well as a few larger makers retailing them as well. I had a couple of the old fiberglass fly rods way back in the 1960's before graphite took over the fishing rod industry. Evidently this new generation of fiberglass is stronger and lighter weight than the old stuff.
Any of you guys own some of these new fiberglass rods? If so, how are they performing for you?

I own half a dozen modern glass rods. Some are slow, some are fast. Most are lighter than older glass rods in the same configurations. My Orvis Super Fine Glass 7'6" 4 weight is lighter than most graphite rods I've used in that configuration.

I'm not sure what you mean by "stronger". Glass has always been less fragile than graphite. It's pretty hard to break.

My first fly rod was a glass Fenwick 7 1/2 ft 6wt built from a kit costing about 10 dollars in the 70s. Just recently I bought a Epic 805 Fast Glass and Thomas and Thomas 744 another faster S Glass rod. They are very smooth and fun to cast, great in close with surprising reserves to cast long. The Epic is used on small to med streams and the T&T is a small stream rod.

I built my first fiberglass rod last year 7’ 3wt. I built it out of a cheap blank but it is smooth and fits my style of fishing well.

My inexpensive Cabela’s CGR (2wt) has served me well for my applications. Love the slower action.

I built my first fiberglass rod last year 7’ 3wt. I built it out of a cheap blank but it is smooth and fits my style of fishing well.
Agree, the inexpensive 7' 3wt 3pc blanks being sold on ebay have surprisingly sweet & versatile action.

These new fiberglass rods are really different in the higher weights. There are a lot of 8 weight + glass rods now that are being built. Those rods seem to be extremely strong and tough. Lots of salt water guys are using them. I'm actually debating to build a glass 8' 10wt for musky. The shorter rod might be easier to use in the kayak. Just an idea and might be a project down the road.

I have a 7' 3 weight glass rod made by Midwest Custom Fly Rods and I like it a lot. I'd really like to know what the blank is and whether the same blank is being used by the commercial rod companies, but it's hard to say. I'm guessing that given the cost of the rod (as I recall it was around $170-180), I'd guess that it was manufactured in China, but who knows. Great rod though, definitely one of my favorites though I rarely use it because I have several bamboo rods in a similar range that I built.

I have a 7' 3 weight glass rod made by Midwest Custom Fly Rods and I like it a lot. I'd really like to know what the blank is and whether the same blank is being used by the commercial rod companies, but it's hard to say. I'm guessing that given the cost of the rod (as I recall it was around $170-180), I'd guess that it was manufactured in China, but who knows. Great rod though, definitely one of my favorites though I rarely use it because I have several bamboo rods in a similar range that I built.
I'm currently building a super small 6' 2wt glass rod off of a cheap China (or Korean) ebay blank. Sometimes those cheap blanks can be very good. Its hit and miss but the majority of the time for the price they are hard to beat!

I've noticed that there is a resurgence in interest in fiberglass fly rods. It seems there is a number of small builders turning these out as well as a few larger makers retailing them as well. I had a couple of the old fiberglass fly rods way back in the 1960's before graphite took over the fishing rod industry. Evidently this new generation of fiberglass is stronger and lighter weight than the old stuff.
Any of you guys own some of these new fiberglass rods? If so, how are they performing for you?

The resurgence of fiberglass as a rod building material is been going on close to 20 years based on me getting into the game in the early 2000's.

My collection of glass rods is overwhelmingly "new" glass and includes several Winston Retro factory rods, a bunch of custom rods from Mike McFarland, one Steffen, one Tom Morgan Rodsmiths, and a few vintage rods.

The glass rods I own with the exception of two rods at 8'6" are all under 8'0". Not that I feel there is anything wrong with longer glass rods but I have some fine longer rods in graphite and a couple in bamboo that are a delight for me to fish. However I do feel that glass has it all over any material in rods under 6'6" if you have a need.

Like any rod building material the action is in the taper not the material. FWIW - I own graphite rods many folks would consider medium and even a few people would define as slow. There are also glass rods I consider too fast for me so do your home work and try before you buy.

If you haven't visited Fiberglass Flyrodders or The Fiberglass Manifesto you should.

They represents the best source of information out there on fiberglass fishing rods and you will probably see a few familiar faces from PAFF on the forums. ;)

Last edited:
I feel any rod less than 7 1/2ft benefit from using Glass or bamboo. Rod companies making carbon rods prioritize longer rods in their taper designs.

I don't necessarily disagree with that statement but despite not owning any suitable rods, I know more than a few folks who swear by longer glass rods for the salt and warmwater both for the durability and the action.

However, contrary to what I like for trout fishing, in both of those situations I prefer long(er) fast(er) graphite...

I also feel that it's a whole lot easier (which also equates to cheaper) to design a decent long graphite rod versus a long decent fiberglass rod which may explain why the big outfits shy away from the market.

Then there is the whole perception thing regarding glass that it is old fashioned, overpriced (because graphite scrim is SO much more expensive ;)), heavy, slow and not "technical" enough (for flat brimmers)...

I will never forget the day I was in a location of a VERY well known fly shop while the expert kid clerks were taking a bunch of new Scott glass rods off the rack. When I asked them why they said they were going to another store for all of the aforementioned reasons...

...I just chuckled and walked out...

...forever. :)

I have a 7' 6" 5 weight I built on a Fenwick blank about 7 years ago. I like it. It's a slow action rod and is great for small streams. Sometimes I'll use it for panfish. I did have a Fenwick 10 weight fiberglass rod that I picked up for $15 at a flea market. I really had no use for a 10 weight, so I turned it into a spinning rod.

I have 20 fiberglass rods that I use here in NZ. About half and half between vintage rods from the 60s and 70s(mainly Fenwicks) and modern rods(Epics, Orvis, Steffens). Rods are 7ft.4wts to 8.5ft.6wts. Have never felt under gunned in dealing with the normal 3-5 pound browns and rainbows along with an occasional larger fish. Try one, you may like them.

I bought an ECHO glass rod last year, 8ft 4 wt. I fished it once with dry flies to test the waters. Neat little rod, though it took a while to get the timing on hook set right. Not sure what that is a about, its just different.

I own three modern graphite rods (Epic 4wt 7'6" Fastglass I, new Orvis Superfine 2wt 6'6", and a Cabela's C.G.R 2wt 6'2". I've only lawn casted the Superfine and C.G.R. I've found the Superfine to do ok with a variety of lines I own, showing preference to my Scientific Anglers Amplitude Trout Smooth 3WF-F. I still haven't found a line on it that I like as much as the line I had on the same Superfine when test casting it at ORIVS. I am still looking for a not-so-aggressive WF line to help load the rod in close for dry/droppers on trickle sized creeks. The C.G.R. was casted on a RIO Trout LT 2WF-F. I hated the noodle-like feel of it so much that I doubt I casted it for even a minute!

I have fished my Epic Extensively in 2019 and 2020 before I added so much graphite to my rod quiver that I forgot about my glass rods. I may fish it this year on slower creeks where rollcasting is needed or when fishing with my friend's dad who fishes an old Kunnan graphite rod in a 4wt 7'6" configuration (not a bad rod, especially considering he scooped it at a flea market for $20). I try and match the wt and length of the rods of the people I am fishing with. This helps me to use more of my rods. I enjoyed fishing my Epic. It is an accurate rod with a lot of feel. I fished it on the Wyomissing in Reading and would say it is an ideal rod for fishing there with dries with or without a dropper or even light indicator nymphing. It's very sensitive, I could feel 2 inch minnows tugging on my flies. The rod definitely struggles with heaver and wind resistant flies. I wouldn't run one of my 4.5mm beaded egg patterns on this rod. I found with Scientific Anglers Anadro in 5WF-F (175gr shooting head) that this rod could really rollcast well, maybe more so than any rod I own. Overall I am very satisfied with the rod and recommend it to anyone looking to get a glass rod with a faster recovery rate. It's a good glass rod for those who are used to modern graphite rods.

My only cosmetic issue I have with this rod is that it is unpainted ("naked" finish as Epic calls it) and looks like the color of a certain reproductive fluid. The Epic looks much better in the olive or salsa paint. Even blue is nice for someone wanting a little more vibrancy. The reel seat on it is a bit large as I think Epic only has one size reel seat for all of their rods. The workmanship is impressive. Mine is a studio built rod and the wraps are the tightest and cleanest of any of the rods I own (I have H3's and SAGE X's with sloppy and uneven wraps and epoxy). Just goes to show the level of dedication one has with custom rods that simply can't be replicated with mass production.

I have no doubts the new Superfine 2wt 6'6" will be a great small stream rod I just to have conduct more testing with it and eventually fish it to provide a more thorough analysis. I can't say for sure if I will even get it out this year. I have 5 small creek rods that will all do what I require of them. Tonight I am buying a SAGE Dart 1wt 7'6" to add to the small creek rod test. I have too many rods to choose from... first world problems. I also acquired a SAGE Little ONE 1wt 8'2" at the end of the summer last year. After lawn casting that I don't know if I posses a rod that can out-do it. From what I gathered on it I think it is the pinnacle of what a small creek dry or dry/dropper rod should be... but we shall see!

My cosmetic issues with the Superfine lie in the hilt. I don't like the use of the modernized anodized black hardware that accompanies H3's on a glass rod, even if that glass rod is pretty fast (fast for glass) and is modernized. I just think older style hardware goes better with glass rods. It is odd because the blank itself features older style hardware. I would have preferred nice nickel hardware. I like a bit of bling on my rods, matte black and gray is used too much nowadays IMHO.

TL/DR, I love glass rods, but fish graphite primarily.

Future glass rods I'd like to get;

I'd like to get would be a Chris Barclay 2wt 6'9". I've heard raving reviews about Chris and his rods look beautiful. I have a two tone (black and green) Bauer MSL 0.5 that would balance and look wonderful on this particular model. This rod would definitely put my Epic to shame cosmetically (primarily because of the unpainted rod color and the goofy over-sized reel hardware on the Epic). I have never owned or even casted a rod built by Chris and I am anxious to try him out.

Epic 3wt 7ft Fastglass II in olive. Just because there's one sittiing on EBay for under $500 and because it would be a sweet rod to take along to my trip to Penns at the end of April to hit some of the tribs with. I am also curious to see how well a smaller newer generation Epic fishes. My current 3wt 7' is a Hardy UL SR that has since been rotated out of my quiver in my last small creek rod shootout, kept only because it looks good.

Redington Butterstick (second gen) 5wt 8ft. I'm typically opposed to Redington but I find the second gen Butterstick to appeal to me cosmetically. I like the white blank and the red/orange/yellow wraps. It looks retro, like something you'd see in the 70s. I've heard the butterstick is a fairly slow action and "loose" rod so it might just be fun to get one just to mess around with. I have a creek in mind where I could put it's leverage to good use on stocked trout. I don't own any 5wts shorter than 9ft. so I find the 5wt 8ft. configuration intriguing. I also know of a man overseas who will make me a reel that pairs well with it cosmetically. Line color choice for this rod will be orange.

Back