The Making of Montana

LetortAngler

LetortAngler

A great video on the success of what Montana has become with its wild trout management.

http://www.ginkandgasoline.com/fly-fishing-lifestyle/saturday-shoutout-the-making-of-montana/

I thought the video was great! Our commissioners should be forced to watch it.

That could be PA, but the commissioners and the agency need a change in focus to resource not revenue. Also they need to quit fostering the put and take instant fisheries attitude that is PA trout fishing. Montana had the same fight, and look where they are.

Great video and a great story. One of the biggest hurdles I see with this in PA is that not all stocked streams are capable of being actual trout streams. I wonder too about the population density differences between here and there and what impact that would have on the success of such a program. Personally, if a stream can sustain wild trout I don't feel it should be stocked. Good luck getting this one across to the PFBC commissioners though.

Agreed. Not all PA streams can be wild trout streams. But, as you said, the ones that can be should not be stocked and should be C&R.

Arguments to the contrary don't care about math.

greenlander wrote:
Agreed. Not all PA streams can be wild trout streams. But, as you said, the ones that can be should not be stocked and should be C&R.

Arguments to the contrary don't care about math.

I agree with these streams should not be stocked, but disagree that they should ALL be C&R.

Vast majority of wild stream can handle some harvest with no detriment. That is backed by many studies and of course ... math.;-)

It is a good conservation tool in some cases, but certainly not all.

C&R was not even mentioned in the video. Stop stocking over wild trout, concentrate more on habitat, and the fish will take care of themselves. ,,, even with some harvest in most cases.

That said, I've only harvested one wild trout in 30 years and only because it was hooked deep. My choice to C&R.

I was lucky to be living in Montana when they changed their policy.
my first years caught a ton of iffy,biffy rainbow stockies ,usually on a two wooly worm wet fly cast---then I actually had to learn how to fish ...much more satisfy experience for those willing to put in the time and effort but less so for the casuals who just wanted a day on the water and a few fish for the pan...
Butt don't let anyone B.S, you- the REAL reason for the policy change was to placate the tourist industry.Locals were a distant second.
So Farmer might be right for once.
Pa. and Mt. are different situations.
Doubt that Pa.. is that much of a big money tourist destination fishing wise to say the "H" with what the residents want.

I don't recall saying that, but can't disagree with it, either. Apparently you were reading my mind. Many have tried on this sight, but few have been successful. Good job dairyman.

Back