The hatches have started

JackM

JackM

Staff member
OK, I just used that title to get your attention. I just wanted to share this link to Charles Meck's On-line Hatch Chart. I have been to site in the past, but while reading an article in the newspaper, I was reminded it has been a while and when I visited, I noticed that his hatch chart seemed more detailed and comprehensive than I remembered it to be. Hopefully this will be of help to some of us.

I think the change is that Charlie used to list the charts by region, this one covers the country!~I kind of liked the regional ones

Dang, I missed the Siphlonurus quebecensis hatch AGAIN this year. How did you guys do during this hatch?

troutbert wrote:
Dang, I missed the Siphlonurus quebecensis hatch AGAIN this year. How did you guys do during this hatch?

I have it from a reliable source that the "Siffle" hatch is still on in the Poconos.

I am going to fish my first green drake hatch on Penn's this year. They only come off in the evening?

BJ,

The drakes come off all afternoon....Stop at the Feathered Hook in Coburn and get some epoxyback emergers. They are deadly. Fish them dropped off a big comparadun in the pocket water or riffles.

Toward dark get ready for the coffn flies (Green Drake spinners). When you see them clouding up at the riffles, put on a spent wing spinner in white.

If you get frustrated that all the rising is not bending your rod...put on a sulfur or cahill. It should be a spectacle in your flyfishing life to see a good spinnerfall....if you can find a spot.

Maurice

Maurice,

Thanks for your reply! That is some great advice and I appreciate it. Something else that confuses me is the difference between duns, comparduns, spinners, etc. What stages of the insect are these and what do they look like?

Thanks!

A dun is a mayfly after it has emerged from it’s nymphal shuck and is now a winged insect. This is what you fish when the insects are first hatching (as in leaving the water). These are often tied in a "catskills" style, with hackle that makes it sit up off the water and some kind of upright wing. A spinner is the mayfly in it’s reproductive stage. After only a few hours it transforms from the dun, changing somewhat in appearance. Usually it’s wings become clear and it’s body color becomes darker. After they are done “doing their thing” (usually in swarms over the water) and the females lay their eggs in the water, they fall “spent” and pretty much lifeless on the surface. The imitation is usually tied with spent wings because this is how they often lay on the surface. They have a dubbed body and clear wings that lay outstretched flat on the water to either side, usually of a clear/opaque material like clear antron. Comparaduns aren’t a stage of the mayfly, they are just a different pattern type, but they are good for imitating a mayfly that has just emerged, because they sit low in the water. They don’t have hackle, just dubbing and a hair wing that goes in a semi-circle around the top of the fly.

bjkeledas,

The term "dun" when used to describe the mayfly refers to its stage after emergence. It is technically a "subimago" (I think I spelled that right) meaning immature (sexually). the mayfly then molts and becomes a "spinner" or "imago", i.e. sexually mature. The spinners have clear wings typically. Within hours of molting or maybe a day or so, they will mate in swarms, usually above a riffle. Soon after mating, the males will drop into the water dead or dying, usually with wings spread, allowing them to be well-imitated by a "spent wing spinner" pattern such as the "rusty spinner." The females get to live a little longer, usually long enough to touch down on the water and deposit eggs. When that is complete, they also will drop to the surface dead (spent wing style).

The "coffin fly" is the spinner stage of the Green Drake. When the drake molts, its new body color is starkly white or maybe a bit champagne colored, with clear, but mottled wings.

The "comparadun" is a tying style. It involves a no-hackle pattern with wings made of deer or elk hair. It sits low in the film and may, thus, imitate an emerging "dun," but it can also imitate a spinner in that when they hit the water dying or egg laying, they will be in the film and their wings may be erect as they "take their final breaths" or lay their eggs, as the case may be.

Hope this wasn't more than you were asking and that it is of some help.

Wow, did it actually take me 20 minutes to type the same reply as Wulff-Man?

bjkaledas wrote:
I am going to fish my first green drake hatch on Penn's this year. They only come off in the evening?

It depends on the weather. If it is very bright and sunny often nothing happens until near dark. There's no use wearing yourself out in the hot sun and getting tired and frustrated. Just show up in the evening.

If it is cloudy and drizzly, they emerge all afternoon and into the evening. This is the idea fishing situation.

bjkaledas wrote:
Maurice,

Thanks for your reply! That is some great advice and I appreciate it. Something else that confuses me is the difference between duns, comparduns, spinners, etc. What stages of the insect are these and what do they look like?

Thanks!

The book Hatches II explains and shows all these things. There are some other good "bug books" too available at most fly shops.

Thank you JackM and Wulff-Man!

You guys sure didn't give me too much information. That helps tremendously with a lot of my confusions. Thanks again!

I think I am ready for the drakes now.

JackM wrote:
Wow, did it actually take me 20 minutes to type the same reply as Wulff-Man?
Jack, I don’t know how many times I was thinking of a response to a post and you beat me to it with an almost identical reply….. with the exception of any posts concerning restrictions on the harvest of wild trout, of course! Hopefully between the two of us BJ will get some shred of accuracy from our replies. :-D

BJ, unfortunately I have never fished a Green Drake hatch, but here are some pictures of 3 sulphur patterns for the flys in question that might clarify things further.

Sulphur Dun

Sulphur Spinner

Sulphur Comparadun

The same basic patterns tied in other colors and sizes can be used to imitate many different mayflys.

Not being experienced with Green Drakes I didn’t want to give you any erroneous pictures because they have a lot of variations depending on the area of the country, stream, and sometimes the angler, it seems. But there is a good discussion of them going on in the Fly Tying Forum, with some good bug pictures and fly patterns, if you haven’t seen it. Here’s a link: Green Drake Thread

>>Dang, I missed the Siphlonurus quebecensis hatch AGAIN this year. How did you guys do during this hatch?>>

That's nothing.

I've been fishing it for over 25 years and never knew I was doing anything of the sort.

That Charlie's a caution, isn't he...:)

P.S. BJ, I see you did post a comment on the Green Drake thread. After scanning through that thread, with all the pattern variations and uncertainties, it would seem to me that the best solution would be to go to the local experts at The Feathered Hook for the most effective patterns of the flys you want to use (as Maurice said).

Having not fished many Green Drake hatches, I am by no means an expert on the subject. However, two of my most memorable evening flyfishing events were back to back G.D. spinnerfalls. My advice is to take time to drink in the whole event if you are fortunate enough to witness it. Don't become so absorbed in trying to catch fish, or a fish, that you miss the overall beauty and grandeur of nature that is surrounding you. Finally, sometimes the pattern that the local fly shop prescribes just won't work. I didn't land a single trout on the local spinner pattern in two nights, and I was watching them get slurpped. For whatever reason a fluffy CDC caddis floated over risers was plenty good enough. As soon as you caught one fish, it would get slimed, and have to be replaced with a fresh one. You know you're having a great night when you are cast to noise, set the hook with ESP, and still hook and land a decent fish after dark. Have fun, enjoy the hatch if you find it, and don't be afraid to try something a little different. Good luck!

Van Cleaver

Good post!

The drake hatch is not all about catching fish, just watching it is something to see..and of course all the fishermen!

PaulG

PaulG wrote:
Van Cleaver

Good post!

The drake hatch is not all about catching fish, just watching it is something to see..and of course all the fishermen!

PaulG

Paul,

I agree about the "all the fishermen" thing. The GD hatch gets Penns a little crowded (for Penns... it's not like the pics I've seen of steelheading). Despite the "crowds" though, guys do a good job of spreading out. I've always enjoyed the experience of meeting a few people and getting some tips.

To Van Cleavers point about the local patterns... the best luck I've had on the GD hatch is Bob Clouser's Green Drake. I don't know of any shop but Bob's that sells it, but it's all hackle. (Here's a picture, in the middle of the page) So don't get locked into super realistic patterns. Something that moves well on the water is probably more important. Those drakes really flop around when they are laying egs.

Back