The Gorge

F

fisherboy3

Always thought about hitting the Broadhead Gorge in the spring, and this year i finally will. I've heard stories of some nice fish caught down in there, so i want to experience this for myself. But i also want some of your guys opinions as well. Where do i park for it? I know its a hike and a half, but i just want to scout it out one day. Also, should i be aware of the crackheads supposedly running around down there?
Or are they all out of there now. Anythings appreciated. -Kev

The broadhead gorge? Near the water gap?

If you are talking about the area above the paper mill near rte. 80 yes there used to be a pretty big homeless camp down there but I haven't been down there in quite a few years. It used to be ok down there but the best water is from broadhead creek park up to red rock if you really wanna go there get off the water gap exit take a left at the light and there is a parking area right after you go over the creek. Head upstream, easiest way is to walk the railroad tracks.

Offer to catch them some fish. Might help if they are out of dynamite. Life is dangerous-- look out for snakes and bears.

I park at glen park in stroudsburg and walk the trail downstream to the gorge. There is homeless camp above glen park but not near the bhead. I normally mountain bike when I fish the gorge. There are numerous trails and some powerline cutouts that will take you right to the gorge stream section. Check out Google Maps. The thing you need to remember when fishing there is it's about quality not quantity. There are holes that go up to 20 ft deep in the gorge. You definitely will not see another fishermen in the gorge.

I came upon the hobo camp years ago, they are not crackheads but they do like a sip or two of whiskey. Anyone can end up homeless with just a simple twist of fate, don't be hatin. Fishing that section is like anywhere else that is not stocked, put your time in and you'll be rewarded but don't expect easy or obvious situations, this is where the oldtimers go.

I didnt mean crackheads, i mean homeles people. I had heard an incidient from a friend about a guy not letting him fish in front of his tent because those were his fish. He also had a nice big pitbull with him, so my friend went on downstream. Thanks for the info guys. Im sure there are a couple nicer fish down there. My friend who is a guide said that sometimes in the fall the brodhead gets a nice shot of browns and bows out of the delaware for spawning.- Kev

Fish it when the shad come into the bhead to spawn. The big browns gorge themselves on small shad. Ill pm u locations where shad hold in the bhead.

Also the area above the Paper Mill can be really good early summer.
When the Deleware starts to warm fish move up the Bheads from the river. have caught some pretty awesome fish there. Best in the evening. Dryfly action. Been fishing that area for 25+ years.

GenCon

Also the area above the Paper Mill can be really good early summer.
When the Deleware starts to warm fish move up the Bheads from the river. have caught some pretty awesome fish there. Best in the evening. Dryfly action. Been fishing that area for 25+ years.

GenCon

Gencon, are you talking about the water below that little falls/ run right above the mill?

Fisherboy, yes. That area is good. If you are willing to take a good walk up stream it is even better.

GenCon

Who owns the land in the gorge? And what are the prospects that it will remain open to the public in the future? Most private land in the region is posted.

For what it's worth, I fished it some years ago, and did not see any homeless people or dangerous looking people.

Troutbert,
Im no expert but it is public land. So I'm guessing the state. I would say down by the papermill they own it, but otherwise most of the gorge is public.

Back