The Feathered Hook Website

Yup ...
And been here only about a year or so .. but on Penns for about 18-20 years ...
Seen a little changes ..
How about you hook ???

Allen

Allen Ive seen a lot of changes been on penns creek for 26 years

Hook, be careful to agree with 18" or he'll head up the creek with one of those curly maple clubs ( he calls them long rifles), and make you agree. Haha

Hook_Jaw wrote:

Allen Ive seen a lot of changes been on penns creek for 26 years

I first began fishing Penns back in the late 70's. I can't say the stream itself has changed, the anglers have though.

There are way less guys fishing bait and hanging fish on stringers. Also, the overall size and number of the fish seems much higher today.

The crowds are pretty much the same as it was decades ago; when the hatches are on the guys are out, especially on weekends.

The fish have always been tough to catch on certain days, but some days it all comes together.

The quality of fish, the wild surroundings and the sheer number of hatching insects keeps everyone coming back every season.

Everyone in PA should appreciate that 125 years ago, conservationists had the foresight to buy up the land and create the state forest system. Penns runs through the Bald Eagle Forest.

Here is the history:
Bald Eagle State Forest was formed as a direct result of the depletion of the forests of Pennsylvania that took place during the mid-to-late 19th century. Conservationists like Dr. Joseph Rothrock became concerned that the forests would not regrow if they were not managed properly.

Lumber and Iron companies had harvested the old-growth forests for various reasons. They clear cut the forests and left behind nothing but dried tree tops and rotting stumps. The sparks of passing steam locomotives ignited wildfires that prevented the formation of second growth forests.

The conservationists feared that the forest would never regrow if there was not a change in the philosophy of forest management. They called for the state to purchase land from the lumber and iron companies and the lumber and iron companies were more than willing to sell their land since that had depleted the natural resources of the forests.

The changes began to take place in 1895 when Dr. Rothrock was appointed the first commissioner of the Pennsylvania Department of Forests and Waters, the forerunner of today's Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources.

The Pennsylvania General Assembly passed a piece of legislation in 1897 that authorized the purchase of "unseated lands for forest reservations." This was the beginning of the State Forest system.

Link to source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bald_Eagle_State_Forest

There no place like it in PA. A treasure for all to share and all to fish.

It has changed quite a bit over the years to me if you would talk to many locals they would agree. It's not just the weekend anymore rarely a day ever during the week you don't see guys anymore unless it's rainy, windy, or cold.

Regulations have changed many times, the stream changes trees that have fallen in making new holes high waters moving debris and logs into places.

I still see many bait anglers on the water most are respectable anglers always will be some that aren't that's true with any water with these regulations to be able to fish bait.

The big hatches always have a lot of people the green drake has been worse the last 5 years then I ever have remembered it to the aggravation of land owners where people think they can park and walk wherever they'd like on private property.

The quality of fish to me has gone down some more smaller fish in Penns creek a lot of fish and no doubt some big trout but more smaller trout are being caught as I have discussed with many about in agreement.

To me when you have the smaller fish like this you catch the smaller fish in the hole and most of the time don't get the bigger fish in there unless you target them with bigger food items.

I fish it less and less the last few years with aggravation of people they have the right to fish it as much as they want and have just as much right as me to fish it.

Penns is a great place I have enjoyed for a long while a bug factory and when the switch turns on and it's right there's no other place to be.

Hook_Jaw wrote:

It has changed quite a bit over the years to me if you would talk to many locals they would agree.

Agreed. The wild trout seem to be thriving and the hatches are still unbelievable. It fishes better than ever before.

This is what ruined Penns Creek:

https://www.si.com/vault/1958/04/07/576751/in-pennsylvania-penns-creek

troutbert wrote:

I'm getting planning a trip tomorrow....it's ruined?!....say it aint so!! :)

Plenty of space at Penns. Fake news.

You can go there 7 months of the year and see next to nobody if you walk a half a mile.

Try Yellow- it’s rare to got to this small stretch of water and not see another fly guy any day of the year. The J gets way more people than Penns and it’s a second rate stream.

If I was a guide I would be floating from Weikert. Big water, just as many bugs and again relativity no anglers.

Plenty of room is right. Where I go, I rarely run into anyone, and if I do it's the big hatch weekends. Plenty of other places to go besides Poe Paddy...

I havent fished penns since 2014, i have off friday, you guys are making me want to take a trip, i miss that place.

I was gonna go to NE philly and load my truck with bait fishing slack jaws and bring em with me too :)

Your not going to penns 7 months out of the year and seeing no one if you walk a half a mile unless its the dead of winter, windy, blown out, raining or your up early am. "There's plenty of room" is a opinion that can be debated if your drowning nymphs all day and not moving there sure is if your streamer fishing and covering a lot of water there is not most times.

troutbert wrote:

I know, right? Otherwise it would have been a total secret for the last 60 years.!!!!!

Lots of differing opinions on this, but I have no problem with Penns. I live in rather close proximity to it and I don't fish it often. I am only 31 so I don't remember how it used to be but I think Penns is fine these days. I can find places to fish and sure you'll see a lot of anglers, but isn't that what is going to happen to a tremendous and popular fishery?

I wouldn't mind a raft "passing through" but if they stopped right beside me and fished for a while it would bother me. I agree though that Penns is not really a raft stream.

Quote:

troutbert wrote:

https://www.si.com/vault/1958/04/07/57 ... -pennsylvania-penns-creek

I know, right? Otherwise it would have been a total secret for the last 60 years.!!!!!

Also too, got this one on the book shelf:

https://www.amazon.com/Penns-Creek-Journal-Daniel-Shields/dp/1571880089

troutbert wrote:

The editing in that piece is atrocious.

csoult wrote:
troutbert wrote:

The editing in that piece is atrocious.

The article was written in 1958. There was no "Word" or spellcheck or even computers back in the day. I assume it was scanned, copied and pasted on to an electronic file and left unedited.

The article is humorous in spots and very accurate relating to today in some cases.

Anyway, a good read to remind us all there has been anglers fishing Penns for more than a century, and from reading an article from 60 years ago, things haven't really changed that much on the stream.

That article was famous, or infamous, in central PA for "ruining" Penns Creek.

Many old timers talked about that article, so it's interesting to actually be able to read it.

I think the article contains quite a few "stretchers."

Regarding the size of the trout caught.

And regarding the temperature and steadiness of the flow.

Penns Creek commonly reaches 80F in the summer in the catch-and-release section.

I doubt that the summer water temperature situation was any better in the 1950s than now.

And the flow can get low in drought periods and probably always has.

It's a great old article I have the issue and know old timers who were fishing then as young kids and teens with good stories to tell.

Back