The end is near in Utah, the beginning is not in PA

Fish Sticks

Fish Sticks

It's just another al gore hype. Keep the water clean, don't build a mall on the land. Everything will be alright. It's better to watch out for our government to sell the land to chins. lol

Scientists for the first time have been successful at producing energy from fusion. They predict the process to be viable in the next 10 years.
Problem solved. No more climate change. Err-a ... Maybe.

Besides, if it weren't for periodic climatic change there would be no Stradivarius violins.

Lol i guess I should have put some context to the post it was not intended to be about climate change.

It was highlighting utah has done so much wild native cutthroat restoration that they will complete restoration and switch largely to maintenance of native trout there in the coming years. Mean while here in PA we have not even created a single regulation or management area for native brook trout.

I guess they talked about climate change too as you guys pointed out but my motivation was pure jelousy that another state is literally running out of cutthroat populations to restore because of their focus on native trout species

You guys lost me at the pesticides again. Different thread, different original article to read, but yet I got off the bus at the same stop again. Good try though.

Honest question, looking for an honest answer…

Fish Sticks, et al…Do you guys harvest your limit of legal sized wild Browns every time you’re out and catching them, where and when legal to do so? If not, why?

I don’t harvest wild Browns, often anyway, but I do tend to selectively harvest stocked fish, of any species, in wild Trout streams where they shouldn’t be. Where and when legal to do so. (Yes, they are consumed by me, or my wife, and not banked. And even though I’d like the stream to be rid of them, I don’t keep more than her and I can eat fresh that same day. Typically with stockers this pans out to two good sized ones, or three of the standard issue 10-12” types.)

Last edited:
I noticed climate change between yesterday and today. I unplugged an unused lamp to combat it. Didn't work as I had to shovel sleet after work.

I'll shop for EV this weekend.... just hope it doesn't catch on fire since it takes 50+ times the water to extinguish it when compared to vehicles running on recycled dinosaurs.

You guys lost me at the pesticides again. Different thread, different original article to read, but yet I got off the bus at the same stop again. Good try though.

Fish Sticks, et al…Do you guys harvest your limit of legal sized wild Browns every time you’re out and catching them, where and when legal to do so? If not, why?

I don’t harvest wild Browns, often anyway, but I do tend to selectively harvest stocked fish, of any species, in wild Trout streams where they shouldn’t be. Where and when legal to do so. (Yes, they are consumed by me, or my wife, and not banked. And even though I’d like the stream to be rid of them, I don’t keep more than her and I can eat fresh that same day. Typically with stockers this pans out to two good sized ones, or three of the standard issue 10-12” types.)
the intent was just to show their doing a lot for their native trout species in the state of UTAH, so much so that the title of the article indicates there is actually not much more they can do as far as restoration because they have done so much.
Pa has not done anything specifically for brook trout but special management areas, c and r regs specific to their species, stocking reform. There are lots of very important measures besides removal PA could take In alot of places I was highlighting the mindset and the effort out there.

Not too often because most places I fish for brown trout its an allopatric brown trout fishery, there are protections for the fish either through special regs or the newer downstream protections. And if I go to say spring creek(a blue ribbon brown trout fishery) i respect that the people I am trying to get on board with conservation like to fish there for brown trout. Me removing a limit of brown trout 5 times a year won’t do anything. I have enough compromise in me to respect peoples social desires for brown trout fisheries when I go there and enjoy them myself. I think most other people also have the compromise in them to give native brook trout a watershed or two in this state where maybe everyone does keep their limit of brown trout.

kinda the same for the stockers because their protected by in alot of the areas I fish

And I honestly don’t get to fish that often and when i do i can’t drive far.majority of what I do is for warm water species at night because i have kids and am close to that kinda fishery

For instance I was night fishing for rock bass last Friday and I LEGALLY had to
release this fish, it was protected by regulations🤢🤮

So I did, i released it promptly.
F0F8D623 8DC2 4DD2 9357 E0224C4D8775

When they say Utah is nearing the end of cutthroat restoration, does that mean they've restored cutthroats to all the stream mileage where they originally existed? Or does it mean that they've restored cutthroats to the stream mileage where it seems reasonably practical to do so given modern conditions of development, farming, roads, water use, etc.?

I'm guessing the latter, because it seems hardly possible that they could restore cutthroats to their full former stream mileage.

When they say Utah is nearing the end of cutthroat restoration, does that mean they've restored cutthroats to all the stream mileage where they originally existed? Or does it mean that they've restored cutthroats to the stream mileage where it seems reasonably practical to do so given modern conditions of development, farming, roads, water use, etc.?

I'm guessing the latter, because it seems hardly possible that they could restore cutthroats to their full former stream mileage.
Yea that was my interpretation too troutbert. I think they are running out of places where feasible but am unsure.

But now i have an honest question for you now that we have established that I don’t have a tanker truck of rotenone in my driveway ear marked for PA and don’t go around depleting peoples wild invasive brown trout fisheries that i know have a great social value to them with my fly rod.

They are using piscicides out west, recovering native cutthroats, golden trout, apaches, Gilas, bonnevilles, lahontans, bulls, and more(some fish were actually saved from extinction credited to “pesticides”. If the ecosystems treated are now back and functioning with a native trout species in place, even saved from extinction that would have resulted from our bucket biology, is Swatty et al. getting off that buss too?

But now i have an honest question for you now that we have established that I don’t have a tanker truck of rotenone in my driveway ear marked for PA and don’t go around depleting peoples wild invasive brown trout fisheries that i know have a great social value to them with my fly rod.

They are using piscicides out west, recovering native cutthroats, golden trout, apaches, Gilas, bonnevilles, lahontans, bulls, and more(some fish were actually saved from extinction credited to “pesticides”. If the ecosystems treated are now back and functioning with a native trout species in place, even saved from extinction that would have resulted from our bucket biology, is Swatty et al. getting off that buss too?

Pesticide was the term they chose to use in the article, so that’s what I went with too.

Answer - Probably. Admittedly, I’d need to know more about the specific stream cases where this supposedly worked in Utah, or wherever. What species was present that they successfully wiped out? Browns? I think there was a lot of Cutthroat habitat lost to Brook Trout out there, funny enough. I suspect it’s easier to exterminate invasive Brookies than Browns, especially in a larger broader scale watershed project where there’s likely Browns in the larger main stem waterways that could quickly repopulate. (Brookies, even out west are generally confined to headwater streams, by guess who, Brown Trout.) Specifically, this is what PA has…Browns in almost all of the larger watershed systems in the state. So I’d need to know if this worked in similar circumstances out west. Specifically again, were Browns present, successfully removed, and kept from repopulating. The final part of that may be too early to tell, even out west.

Short(er) version. In order for me to be on board with that, which I could be, I would need to be convinced that one chemical treatment would successfully remove the Browns, Brookies could be successfully reintroduced, and the Browns wouldn’t come back. I wouldn’t be in support of killing a good wild Brown or mixed species fishery every 10, 20, whatever years as the Browns from downstream/larger water repopulate. It would need to be a “one and done” type of deal.

I’m a good bit away from being convinced of that right now. I’m sure you can, and likely will, respond with some study out west where this worked like this, but I’m not convinced the west is analogous to what we have in PA. We have wild Browns literally everywhere. In streams we think of as WW Bass streams for goodness sake. How can you possibly chemically kill watersheds that size? You can’t, I think. At least not practically or in a way that will be socially supported. Small individual streams yeah, but I don’t know, in PA, how you stop the repopulation without large scale barriers. Which as is noted in nearly all of these “success story” projects out west is frowned upon from a genetic diversity standpoint. Ideally, you want large interconnected watersheds with just Brookies. I just don’t see how you can have that in PA right now. Seems to me it’s lots of small isolated pockets of Brookies, with barriers to keep Browns out, or you’re gonna have Browns show up (or show up again) at some point.

Again, there’s plenty of measures, talked about to death in the other threads, that I’d support PA taking that they’re not doing right now that I think would be easier to implement and garner support for, and would have a greater chance of moving the needle, than the systemic killing of good viable wild Trout fisheries, only to likely be in the same scenario X years down the road.

I’d like to see what the composition of those reclaimed Cutthroat streams is in 50, 100, 200 years etc, though I won’t be alive to know. That will be the measuring stick of whether there was success achieved. Naturally, I’m skeptical that the same processes that led to the displacement of the Cutties, will recur.

I must also admit, I enjoyed calling the Brookies invasive. 😜

Last edited:
Pesticide was the term they chose to use in the article, so that’s what I went with too.

Answer - Probably. Admittedly, I’d need to know more about the specific stream cases where this supposedly worked in Utah, or wherever. What species was present that they successfully wiped out? Browns? I think there was a lot of Cutthroat habitat lost to Brook Trout out there, funny enough. I suspect it’s easier to exterminate invasive Brookies than Browns, especially in a larger broader scale watershed project where there’s likely Browns in the larger main stem waterways that could quickly repopulate. (Brookies, even out west are generally confined to headwater streams, by guess who, Brown Trout.) Specifically, this is what PA has…Browns in almost all of the larger watershed systems in the state. So I’d need to know if this worked in similar circumstances out west. Specifically again, were Browns present, successfully removed, and kept from repopulating. The final part of that may be too early to tell, even out west.

Short(er) version. In order for me to be on board with that, which I could be, I would need to be convinced that one chemical treatment would successfully remove the Browns, Brookies could be successfully reintroduced, and the Browns wouldn’t come back. I wouldn’t be in support of killing a good wild Brown or mixed species fishery every 10, 20, whatever years as the Browns from downstream/larger water repopulate. It would need to be a “one and done” type of deal.

I’m a good bit away from being convinced of that right now. I’m sure you can, and likely will, respond with some study out west where this worked like this, but I’m not convinced the west is analogous to what we have in PA. We have wild Browns literally everywhere. In streams we think of as WW Bass streams for goodness sake. How can you possibly chemically kill watersheds that size? You can’t, I think. At least not practically or in a way that will be socially supported. Small individual streams yeah, but I don’t know, in PA, how you stop the repopulation without large scale barriers. Which as is noted in nearly all of these “success story” projects out west is frowned upon from a genetic diversity standpoint. Ideally, you want large interconnected watersheds with just Brookies. I just don’t see how you can have that in PA right now. Seems to me it’s lots of small isolated pockets of Brookies, with barriers to keep Browns out, or you’re gonna have Browns show up (or show up again) at some point.

Again, there’s plenty of measures, talked about to death in the other threads, that I’d support PA taking that they’re not doing right now that I think would be easier to implement and garner support for, and would have a greater chance of moving the needle, than the systemic killing of good viable wild Trout fisheries, only to likely be in the same scenario X years down the road.

I’d like to see what the composition of those reclaimed Cutthroat streams is in 50, 100, 200 years etc, though I won’t be alive to know. That will be the measuring stick of whether there was success achieved. Naturally, I’m skeptical that the same processes that led to the displacement of the Cutties, will recur.

I must also admit, I enjoyed calling the Brookies invasive. 😜
I have no favoritism for native brook trout where they are invasive thats what people don’t get about me. I have entire book’s dedicated to wild native brown trout and their conservation across their native range. I have supported trials of eradicating invasive brook trout with genetic auper male brook trout in NM, Oregon, Idaho and other states, I have mentioned that invasive brook trout in sweden are harming wild native brown trout. The last comment with the emoji does not feel like a dig to me its just proper terminology and conversely I think when people hear invasive brown trout it feels like a dig to them but again its not. Its just terminology that reflects their not native and harm native fish, crustaceans, and amphibians. Calling something what it truthfully is should not be perceived as a dig or insult and I hope no one feels that way when I use the terminology.

And you don’t have to look out west for successful one and done removals. It makes me sad that removal of invasive brown trout originally transported by humans obviously basically saved one of the last populations of wild native golden trout and is credited as a critical action in preventing extinction and that people would be worried about losing “a good population” of wild invasive species in that specific situation.

Again I nor anyone I know is advocating for removal on any specific waterway here in PA at this time. As you said there are other things that can be done first. However, it does work in many cases, we are in the slim minority of states not doing it for native trout species or other native fish, its recommend by TU nationals brook trout conservation portfolio. EBTJV, and many others in certain situations and it will eventually happen in PA in one form or another (not because of me or any other anglers) as brook trout decline.

Yes genetic isolation and connectivity important for brook trout but losing metapopulation connectivity is favorable in scenarios where complete loss of population is going to happen. The Mark Kirk study we discussed the other day lost brook trout in a bunch of those prior sympatric populations where no barrier was present. When brook trout are gone connectivity does not matter. We want a “portfolio” of large well connected brook trout watersheds that are going to have some invasive trout open to harvest but thenalso some smaller streams/waterwheds where a barrier keeps a goldylocks amount of connectivity but genetic rescues from other nearby streams can be used to create artificial gene flow above barriers.

These should answer alot of your listed questions

Yes, the invasive Brook Trout comment wasn’t a dig at you or anyone else using it. I did just enjoy typing it. Invasive Brown Trout (in PA) isn’t wrong or a dig either, I know. It’s just seen an inflammatory (by some, many even), and not productive for helping your cause. “Brown Trout” is likely a simpler and more effective term to use to deliver the same point.

And yes, I know you would be in favor of removing Brookies where they’re not native. My main point above is that removing invasive Browns is a different chore than removing invasive Brookies, given the Brown Trout’s more versatile habitat capabilities.

Thanks for the article links. I’ll read them this weekend. But reserve the right to be unmoved by them, as it pertains to PA, and the long term success profiles for killing/seeding, and then keeping the Browns from getting back in, without barriers, which create a host of other issues, previously discussed.

Last edited:
Yes, the invasive Brook Trout comment wasn’t a dig at you or anyone else using it. I did just enjoy typing it. Invasive Brown Trout (in PA) isn’t wrong or a dig either, I know. It’s just seen an inflammatory (by some, many even), and not productive for helping your cause. “Brown Trout” is likely a simpler and more effective term to use to deliver the same point.

And yes, I know you would be in favor of removing Brookies where they’re not native. My main point above is that removing invasive Browns is a different chore than removing invasive Brookies, given the Brown Trout’s more versatile habitat capabilities.

Thanks for the article links. I’ll read them this weekend. But reserve the right to be unmoved by them, as it pertains to PA, and the long term success profiles for killing/seeding, and then keeping the Browns from getting back in, without barriers, which create a host of other issues, previously discussed.
The other thing i forgot to bring up is that despite some barriers keeping invasive trout out for over 100 years(where we find cutts that are pure with no rainbow genes or brookies not enchroached up), any created now to preserve or restore native trout may just have to hold a fee decades to not lose the populations and the genes because gene cassettes, gene editing/CRISPR may have advances in that time period changing invasive species management. Its by no way a guarantee obviously but there are a few different genetic control methods being piloted for invasive fish and crayfish

Back