The Cicadas ar Coming

I drove through a significant hatch on the turnpike in westmoreland county last Friday. The sound was deafening and the shrapnel of bugs was everywhere.

I tied some foam cicadas over the last few weeks and finally got to try them out. Fished out of my boat on the Mon casting to the feeding carp on the shoreline. Sunday we had quite a few looks but all refused the fly. I changed the pattern up a bit and gave it another try tonight. I was able to hook up with a nice carp about a half hour in but my 5 weight was not enough rod for the fish. We battled for 3-4 minutes before it ran me into a bush and I broke the line trying to turn it around. This was right as the sky turned black so we got off the water. I'll be giving it another try later this week with the 8 weight.

The Monongahela river drainage is thick with cicadas as is the lower Youghiogheny drainage (Conellsville and North). There are some cicadas on the top half of the middle yough as well.

My personal experience fishing them is limited to Yough Jam we had last Saturday. We caught fish on cicadas on the upper portion of the middle Yough, but it was not going gangbusters there as I've heard it is on some other waters.

Get out there while you can as this event will be trailing off into history in the next week or two.

https://www.guidefitter.com/videos/brood-v-guidefitter-film

Great video 1Man. I'm a little dubious that they really got all that footage in two days on the water.

There were a half dozen or more of us from the board who floated the trout stretch during the peak of the cicadas. We certainly caught some fish, but not nearly the numbers show in the vid. I suppose i'ts possible that they just happened to float and film on a magical day.

Alby,

4 guys, 3 days. 27 trout.

Each guy averaged 2.25 trout per day. I don't consider that to be ridiculous. While I don't know the Yough very well, my first impression was actually that they did pretty poorly! But still looked like a good time (a bad day fishing....).

Though, to be fair, it doesn't look like all 3 days were in prime trout water, so while in trout water they musta done better than that. Then the carp were on top of that.

Three fisherman. One camera man. All the footage was shot in two and a half days. A day trout fishing and a day and a half further downstream for carp. Two of the guys spent two days fishing before filming wich helped them find the fish. Your calculations are a little off pcray, there was only ever one man fishing at a time. Two boats means two guys on the sticks, one guy holding a camera leaving one to do the fishing. Good numbers in my book

One man fishing at a time may hurt the total, but doesn't change the averages. That's one of the disadvantages of fishing from drift boats (in pure fishing terms). They could have chosen to have several fishing from shore. Of course that carries it's own disadvantages. So it goes, that's fishing. There are trade offs and you make choices and they affect the averages.

Point taken though about spending only 1 day trout fishing. So 27 trout for 4 guys in 1 day. A little over 8 each. That is a nice day though hardly unbelievable enough to make me think it's a tall tale.

Very good video though, I enjoyed it. Thanks.

Back