The Cicadas ar Coming

MD_Gene

MD_Gene

So the cicadas are coming.
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/cicadas-northeast-17-years_us_57126c8fe4b0060ccda37223

Question: can anyone point me to a good pattern? The last brood that came through, Greg Hoover (PSU entomology dept) had a pattern written up in Tyer's Mag". Any leads would be great. It was great fishing them on Spring Creek. The fish would go bonkers for them

http://www.cicadamania.com/where.html

Have to dust off the archives and see. I still have a bunch left over so I may not have to tie any.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Looks like that brood is more Ohio, WV, SW PA.

I used this one 2 years ago, I think it was, when the last big invasion happened. Since it's the only one I've ever used, I can't compare it to any others. It just catch some trout for me though.

http://www.thargrove.com/patterns/cicada.html

Brood 5 looks like it will emerge in only a tiny portion of SW PA...that's a bummer.

Loren Williams Pattern is a killer. It is all I used a few years ago when they were held up in Carbon County.

+1

Loren's pattern is simple and very effective. No need to get all fancy with a pattern. Where the fish are keyed in on them, they have the feed bag on...

http://loren.teamfreestone.com/tutorials/dry-flies/periodical-cicada

This shady character even caught a Buckwha lightnin' troot on one! :-D

DSCN0427_zps1koiscxx.jpg

Hers the central PA cicada and pattern from FFP. What an emergence!! 2008 brood

]Cicada ffp [/url]

Google Blane Chocklett's cicada. I tie a simpler version of it, but the key is making sure that you have a dense enough foam to really make that fly "plop" into the water. After the emergence gets going good, the plops are what the fish key on, and the competition results in pretty explosive strikes. I've not fished them for trout before, but the smallies go bat$hit crazy for them.

First thing I would say is make sure they're coming to you. When I tied these it sounded like my streams would be in the middle of a cicada explosion. Missed by quite a few miles. Not a bad smallie fly though if they're on top.

Attachments

• cicada_deerhair.jpg
    cicada_deerhair.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 10
They're well worth the drive if I do say so myself. I wouldn't travel more than a few hours to fish them, but for those who have never experienced it, it's well worth the time.

A few years ago when there was a different something-or-another-year cicada going on, I picked one up and walked to the edge of the creek. I was not fishing but I thought it would be interesting to toss a cicada in to a pool I knew held some hungry trout. The cicada SUNK like a rock!! I was surprised. So if these things are not buoyant, why all the floating imitations?

I fished a Brookie stream in Carbon Co. a few years ago during the emergence. They were everywhere and I thought I remember them floating. I remember some dink Brookies attempting to eat them, and some of the larger ones with them in their gullet. We just fished the usual Brookie attractor type stuff and caught plenty of fish that day, FWIW in terms of fly selection. Granted they were Brookies and Brookies tend to eat anything. Not sure if in a more selective situation with Browns whether they’d key in on them specifically to where you’d need to fish a precise imitation or not.

the noise they make is unbelievable.

where was the Map ? any near SEPA ?

I just looked it up and it appears most of you are dreaming. This year is brood 5 and it will hit extreme Western PA, but we will see some of them over here in Flatlandia.

link to maps

From what I read, this "hatch" is set to hit Fayette, Greene, Somerset, Washington and Westmoreland counties, and parts of West Virginia.
Once soil temps get to around the mid-60s (end of May-June) is when they'll begin emergence. To bad there's very few good trout steeams in western pa. I suppose the Yough and some other lesser knowns in Somerset would be worth checking out.

LetortAngler wrote:
To bad there's very few good trout steeams in western pa. I suppose the Yough and some other lesser knowns in Somerset would be worth checking out.

Don't rule out warm water fish. The last time we had 'em here in central PA I had a blast on a local lake pitching cicada flies at the shoreline from my kayak. Bass, bluegills, crappies, even rock bass were looking up.

Carp also take cicadas.

The 2008 emergence was unreal.

I'm starting to see cicada holes around the yard in Cleveland. I have not seen any bugs yet, I read that they can hang out in their holes awhile before emerging. I imagine it's a bit warmer in SW PA. Any sign of the hatch starting down there?

Back