the brain is churning again on a dual taper line.

Ya know, if I were reallg aanting to do something crazy, I could mount the "other side" taper backwards and that would make one heck of a shooting head if ever lol. 3wt outbound short!

DJ,
You are right. I meant to say Rio Gold.

I cut and splice lines all the time, some of you have been here and seen what they can do. go ahead and cut. to each his own. cutting 2 foot off will turn over heavier flys too. acts more like a weight forward type then.

I cut and splice lines all the time, some of you have been here and seen what they can do. go ahead and cut. to each his own. cutting 2 foot off will turn over heavier flys too. acts more like a weight forward type then.

sandfly- can i ask you this, like i stated before, this is a light line to begin with, what is your take on flipping say the first length of non tapered line and doubling it over on it's self? given i don't want to make the o.d. of the tip larger than the first bit if the taper, possibly even "splitting the line and moving half of what i am "trimming" up past my "double over spot" just to keep the taper some what uniform?

thanks DJ

and Dano, if you're feeling up to it sat morn, is my planned "cut" time, if you'd care to join and or try it out/ possibly go fish some where, finally bought the PA license!!! :-D

I think it's funny for years people have bin modifying or "customizing" gear. Rods, reels hell & everything else. If ya go an idea & ya wanna cut up a new line to try it cool. Jeez I don't understand what the problem is. Spey guy in PAC northwest were butchering lines for years. That's how the got 3 line weight designation. Like say 7/8/9 rod.

Hey DJ tell Todd B. and Travis good luck with the shop.

Spey guy in PAC northwest were butchering lines for years. That's how the got 3 line weight designation. Like say 7/8/9 rod.

bingo. though the taper on this line is pretty much exactly that though it would be a 2/3/4 lol. that's why i chose this line, it's a three sixe taper pretty much exactly matching a "scandi" style shooting head, of which is meant for a softer presentation. and at first i was trying just to get a wf line but that was not an option from where i am getting it from. so since i have the ability of two heads out of this line, i'm gonna play and learn be it victorious or defeat, i personally learn the best through trial and error.

and cory i will pass that along to them, though i'm let down trav was telling me you were gonna tie us some sz 26 parachutes tonight?!?!!? what happened? i was really looking forward to that!!!!!!!!

Yeah all I don't do parachutes. I like the wulf style drys! Ha. Maybe next time. Ha!

If you want to do it, do it. It might work really well for you. Of course it may not and you just ruined a $80 fly line. How do you think all these tapers and heads came about before computers and high tech machines. Trial and error. You may end up with a line that works just how you want it to and one that nobody offers commercially.

so my plans were changed again, i was getting the line on trade for some work i'm doing. come to find out, i received both the dt and the wf. so i lined that wf line on my mystic m-series 3wt, and all i can say is HOLY SH*T!!!! that line seems like it was built for that rod. it does not feel like any other line i have ever casted, super tight loops over head, roll casts pretty well, snap t very well and single spey or touch and go is it's ultimate suite! it is not very often where i'll need to cast 70'+ but the line has no problem getting there with a single touch and go cast.

so after absolutely loving the wf on this rod, the dt is getting put away until i build a bamboo rod for it. sorry guys was really wanting to see what i could do wit cutting that line up, but it makes me ponder what that line would be like on a grass rod.

Photo skills paying the bills DJ?

I was going to shoot it for free, and pay fo the line but they insinted. Twist my arm lol.

And I made a little vid from that night too, stuck it in the vid area looking for feed back, since im not a vid guy and am just winging it.

Back