The Beauty of Creation

The_Sasquatch

The_Sasquatch

Yesterday Sal and I got together to fish in the AM. We haven't had much time this summer to fish together, so we were both thankful for a nice morning on the water. The leaves were gorgeous, the stream was flowing quite nicely, everything seemed perfect.

We went to one of our favorite local haunts, intentionally sticking to stretches of the stream that we knew held more browns than brookies. We wanted to make sure that if the brookies were gettin' busy, we weren't interrupting them.

Because of the clarity of the water, we were able to walk along the stream and observe quite a bit. While we didn't fish over the "brookie waters", we did get to observe the brook trout beginning to pair up in several places. We also had the privilege of watching a pair of brookies actually building their redd, which was amazing to see. Up until yesterday, I never got to really observe the start of the spawning season for the brookies. So I considered it a privilege to see such things.

The browns were actively feeding and seemed to be gorging up for their upcoming love-making sessions. We caught a lot of browns, many of which were chunky and of solid size. Of course, their colors were absolutely stunning.

This is a special time of year. Some may consider it a bummer to put the rods down while the trout spawn, but I encourage you all to go out and just take a walk along your favorite trout stream. It's a privilege to see the beauty of Creation, to observe the trout spawning, to see their colors and the colors of the world around us. Instead of worrying about when you can fish or how you can wade or whatever, take the time to take in the beauty of the world around you. Take the time to see nature function the way it was designed. It truly is an amazing thing to see. I was truly overwhelmed by it all.

The_Sasquatch wrote:
Yesterday Sal and I got together to fish in the AM. We haven't had much time this summer to fish together, so we were both thankful for a nice morning on the water. The leaves were gorgeous, the stream was flowing quite nicely, everything seemed perfect.

We went to one of our favorite local haunts, intentionally sticking to stretches of the stream that we knew held more browns than brookies. We wanted to make sure that if the brookies were gettin' busy, we weren't interrupting them.

Because of the clarity of the water, we were able to walk along the stream and observe quite a bit. While we didn't fish over the "brookie waters", we did get to observe the brook trout beginning to pair up in several places. We also had the privilege of watching a pair of brookies actually building their redd, which was amazing to see. Up until yesterday, I never got to really observe the start of the spawning season for the brookies. So I considered it a privilege to see such things.

The browns were actively feeding and seemed to be gorging up for their upcoming love-making sessions. We caught a lot of browns, many of which were chunky and of solid size. Of course, their colors were absolutely stunning.

This is a special time of year. Some may consider it a bummer to put the rods down while the trout spawn, but I encourage you all to go out and just take a walk along your favorite trout stream. It's a privilege to see the beauty of Creation, to observe the trout spawning, to see their colors and the colors of the world around us. Instead of worrying about when you can fish or how you can wade or whatever, take the time to take in the beauty of the world around you. Take the time to see nature function the way it was designed. It truly is an amazing thing to see. I was truly overwhelmed by it all.

Nice post SQ.

I left my rod in the truck the other day and just took a walk along the stream. Sometimes, especially this time of year, it's great just to get out there to observe and explore.

I do agree; there is a time and a place for fall trout fishing. Just use your best judgement, like you guys did....and enjoy!

Ditto. It took some willpower, but I left my rod in the car yesterday afternoon, while taking a family hike, enjoying the woods, a stream and some open fields. Even though the stream we hiked along is one that I fish a few times a year, you get a different perspective while not fishing, and I actually saw things I've never saw there while fishing - a little place a few yards above the trail that would make a cool little rock shelter, not visible from the stream, and not visible in the dark, which is when I usually walk out the trail.

We actually did not see any fish but I got to point out the start of some probable redds to my daughters (who I don't think were all that impressed with looking at patches of lighter gravel).

With often low, clear water, this is a good time of year to get out to observe the spawn and to see what the stream bed actually looks like; gives you a little bit better idea where to wade when the water is higher, or where a fish might be hanging out under a rock, if you know pool depths and where the rocks are.

I had to do that for 3 months after shoulder surgery. Now, taking a walk is a regular occurrence, especially when my wife and I go together. She always tells me to bring my rod, but I've only done it MAYBE twice - once that I can remember.

Sasquatch, I really appreciate your respect for the brook trout. They are one of the most beautiful creatures on the planet but are easily overlooked. One wonders if they are capable of appreciating their own beauty.....

Going to a stream, looking for spawning trout and finding them is one of my favorite fall activities. Is it typical for you to find brookies in your locale spawning in November? What County?

Lancaster County. Yeah the spawn doesn't really start here til November most years, Chaz.

That's what I figured, I've even seen brookies spawning in NE streams in November, I'm guessing it's more related to available light than any other factors. It's always said it's water temperature, but I'm starting to have doubts.

We actually talked about that a bit on Sunday as we were fishing. I'm not sure it's water temps either, especially given the spawning habits on streams that pretty much hold the same temp year 'round.

Chaz wrote:
That's what I figured, I've even seen brookies spawning in NE streams in November, I'm guessing it's more related to available light than any other factors. It's always said it's water temperature, but I'm starting to have doubts.

Available light is constant across the state on any given date, so if it is light, it should be the same date every year, everywhere... I don't think it is just light, or just water temperature, or just X; it is a combination of all those items (with maybe more emphasis on X, whatever that might be). Somehow the fish know when the probability of success is higher.

In the herpetology field, I read a study on PA timber rattlers and when they emerge from their winter den sites. While three years is not statistically significant, "During three consecutive springs the dates of first capture of rattlesnakes varied only between April 23 and 30, despite marked differences in the pattern of air and ground temperature variation." So maybe there is some annual chronobiologic cycle that exists, that fish and snakes and all other things march to.

What a treat for you! The closest I came was seeing a video of the brook trout's spawning process. I saw it at a home outside of State College. I was a student at the time and a guy named Joe Humphries picked up the handful of students who had registered interest from an article in the Daily Collegian.

Showing my age am I? I graduated in '74.

Elevation seems to be a factor too. I know one stream around 1600' elevation where one year they were finished by mid October. Meanwhile another stream around 1200' the spawn was in progress, and then back home a week later (around 400') elevation they hadn't even colored up yet. What varies with elevation? Air temperature, and as a result, water temperature. Unfortunately I did not have a stream thermometer to get actual numbers.

I can see the spawn being triggered by even subtle changes in water temp, which does happen even on pure spring fed streams. though I also agree with others who have said it is really a combination of factors.

Interesting posts. The spawning, brownies, is pretty much over around here. Lots of redds, but the fish are no longer one them.

I loved this post by the way. As you know Andy I have a knack for spotting fish but your find of the two under the log was a treat. Andy and I talked a little bit about the spawn, fishing during it and factors that trigger it.

IMO there are many variables. Available light, I agree Chaz. Days get shorter, angle of the sun changes shadows and even how a trout sees. Water temp is huge, even subtle ones like at Bonnybrook. Leave decay in the stream, timing of storms that also clear them out. 1st frost, 2nd ... 3rd? An internal invisible clock, instinct or just a mechanism that triggers a biological response out of no where. Possibly that, any, all or even none of the above factors create, trigger or enhance the spawn.

Even still it's dang fun to watch. Brookies in Big Spring have been a long time favorite of mine. One thing is for certain, freestone fish tend to breed sooner in high elevation streams than lfow valley limestoners. While I agree 100% because their window is shorter before they biologically slow down, it interesting to note the spawn season is longer in low valley limestoners and can take place much later than the standard OCT NOV time frame.

Back