the Ant

Yo Baro - usually going upstream, so as to be behind the trouts. But some rivers have big eddies that rotate the current so that the trouts would be facing downstream (the main current, that is). This is especially true with Oregon's Deschutes. On the Beaverkill, rather than walk up the shore, I often scout the good spots from further up the bank, then go down directly to casting position.

So what you're saying is that upon arriving you stand back and appraise it for current, wind and exposure before approaching and scaring everything like I'm famous for doing, lol.
I'll be on the green either in the A section,high up, or the B section near the end. It is a big enough stream to contain allot of nuances, I imagine.
Thanks

lestrout wrote:
Yo Baro - usually going upstream, so as to be behind the trouts. But some rivers have big eddies that rotate the current so that the trouts would be facing downstream (the main current, that is). This is especially true with Oregon's Deschutes. On the Beaverkill, rather than walk up the shore, I often scout the good spots from further up the bank, then go down directly to casting position.

It pays to stop and check out a stream. They all have their own character as to riffles, slick water, holes, surface activity and trees etc in the water. Look for seams, foam lines and current breaks. Figure how to approach each spot to get into the best area to cast from. I always ask : if I was a trout where would i hide? GG

It pays to stop and check out a stream. They all have their own character as to riffles, slick water, holes, surface activity and trees etc in the water. Look for seams, foam lines and current breaks. Figure how to approach each spot to get into the best area to cast from. I always ask : if I was a trout where would i hide? GG

Baron:

I fished the Green River once - below the dam.
There is a nice trail that runs along the stream.
And I remember casting to a lot of fish from the bank. It's just loaded with trout, which you can see in the crystal clear water

By the way, I caught some fish on big terrestrials there.
A giant foam pattern called a Chernobyl ant.
And also on cicadas, which are thick enough there, that the trout feed on them every year.
These are the dog day cicadas, which are green/black in color.

Yes sir I just ordered additional terrestrials from an Orvis list.
I'll buy the wet/dry flies locally once I arrive there.

dryflyguy wrote:
Baron:

And I remember casting to a lot of fish from the bank. It's just loaded with trout, which you can see in the crystal clear water

And also on cicadas, which are thick enough there, that the trout feed on them every year.

There's a big bug called a "Mormon cricket" that migrates in that area and this has led to something of a school of the big foam terrestrial on the Green River.

Ahh the famous 'Romney'!

joking

I'll ask around when there. Mormon cricket.

I've never caught or fished terrestrials for trout and it will seem strange.

The biggest reason I fish for trout at all is that it is a dicsipline that forces good and consistent habits that will never be bad for me. Trout fishing makes me think more of the whole picture. And you're often doing it where the fish can potentially see you.

I'm sure the fly shops there have a vested interest in bringing me success.

Yes sir I just ordered additional terrestrials from an Orvis list.
I'll buy the wet/dry flies locally once I arrive there.

dryflyguy wrote:
Baron:

Fish up, down and across or any way you need to. On small streams usually make way slowly upstream and work edges. Another great combo is the green weenie and a sinking ant trailer. Well known in central PA but works everywhere. Seems like weenie gets there attention and they mail the wet ant. Again normally I cast them blind to likely spots right on bank working upstream.

larkmark wrote:
Fish up, down and across or any way you need to. On small streams usually make way slowly upstream and work edges. Another great combo is the green weenie and a sinking ant trailer. Well known in central PA but works everywhere. Seems like weenie gets there attention and they mail the wet ant. Again normally I cast them blind to likely spots right on bank working upstream.

Seems funny that you would mention that combo as I've thought that would be really hot in lily Pads along overhanging trees.

Inch worms or Caddis larvae or who knows but they like it. The ant usually accounts for a way higher percentage of my catch than the weenie when I fish them tandem.

Back