That was closer than I liked!

Letort

Letort

Hit a small native stream after work (not a stocked creek). As I was tying on a fly at the first pool, heard an odd noise. Because I was focused on getting in the water, just ignored it.

About 30 seconds later, a tree about 25 yards downstream snapped in half and about 60 feet of very large tree crashed into the creek. The "funny" part is that I sometimes start in the riffle area where it landed, but today wanted to start in the pool above.

Spent much of the rest of the day looking up at the tree tops.

When you talk to people about things they fear in the woods, typically you hear bears, snakes, crackheads. But what happened to you is probably way more likely to take you out than anything.

That and falling and hitting your head.

Glad you didn't get hit.

I have been inside of 100 yards of trees falling in the woods 4 different times. Three were in times of high wind and the 4th was after a slow, steady rain that had been going on for 3-4 hours. All were while I was out hunting. After witnessing how quickly the tree hits the ground, I always wonder if I were standing next to the tree could I still get out of the way in time. It is a scary thought.

Prospector wrote:
I have been inside of 100 yards of trees falling in the woods 4 different times.

So have I have, all while fishing. I now avoid wooded areas on windy days.

There are still lots of standing dead Ash trees in the woods. Be careful out there!

I've nearly been hit by two huge deadfall branches from sycamore trees twice while fly fishing. The one time on Kish Creek right in Kish Park a branch that would have been lethal landed a mere 10 feet or so from me.

Oddly enough, while backpacking and hunting, etc, I've never had any close calls from falling trees and branches. And I've slept in the woods A LOT. hmm...

I have had more close encounters with trees falling while fishing than any other outdoor activity. Second would be hiking/ shed hunting/ scouting in late winter early spring. I have seen and heard many trees fall while archery hunting, but never any close calls. I have had 2 large ash trees come down within 50 yards of me while fishing on relatively calm days. I do try to be aware of my surroundings, but we are all assuming some level of risk to enjoy our recreational activities. If on a camping trip with no service, my wife or brother always has a decent idea of where I was heading and what time to expect a check in.

I'd put lightening at the top of my list of "closer". Some years back Moose, and I fished West Canada Creek at Miller Park. Ten miles of rock, pot hole, hell of a road back into the Adirondack Preserve.
A storm blew in and a bolt hit so close that you could smell that acrid sulfur stench. It shook the ground and happened so fast there was no reaction that would have saved me. I did walk on water after the strike much to the amusement of Moose who laughed his a off. As fast as it came it was gone. I'm glad I'm still here to tell the tale. GG

The only time falling trees or limbs ever crosses my mind is when we have exceptionally strong winds while the ground is very wet, such as the other day. I was entering the woods and immediately saw a freshly downed tree, which reminded me of the potential. I still hiked anyway.

Regarding dead or decaying trees, such as the ash trees mentioned above, falling trees in windy weather are one thing, but having been around a number of decaying trees for decades by my former office, I found that most limbs came down in association with rainy days, either on the day of the rainfall or the next day in the breeze or wind that followed. Having to clear the debris from the parking area and lawn by the office I found that most limbs were rotted and fell because they absorbed enough water such that their weight brought them down, wind or no wind. Consequently, when I fish I always look up when I park my car before settling in on the parking spot and getting the equipment out. I have moved my car a number of times as a result.

Like many of you, I've had some close calls with falling trees and wood while fishing. A couple years ago I had a tree fall right in front of me during the jam while driving along the Little J. As is described by LetortAngler, oftentimes the drop is preceded by a cracking or some loud sound that we hear, but tend to ignore.

Agree with Mike on the timing and wet conditions.

Was having a blast pre thunderstorm below the run one summer evening. The outer branches tickled my fenwick when it hit the water just upstream from me. Stood still for over a minute soaking wet, line dangling downstream, and in shock.

Used to plan my early summer fishing around the thunderstorm predictions, glad to have grown out of that phase.

With the amount of dead trees along Clarks Creek, fishing it on a windy day is like playing Russian roulette. Be careful out there

I’ve spent a lot of time on Montana rivers during the past 20 years, particularly the Yellowstone River outside Yellowstone Park where there are, or have been, lots of cottonwood trees lining its bank. And beavers. And strong wind. The three don’t go together particularly well.

One day while we had pulled my boat ashore for lunch, we watched a drift boat with a couple fishermen float past near the bank on the opposite side of the river from us. Just as they went by a large limb from a cottonwood tree that extended over the river broke off and fell just a couple feet behind their boat. It was scary to us sitting a couple hundred yards away to hear that limb break off and hit the water. You can just imagine how the guys in that boat must have felt. A fraction of a second sooner and we could have been recovering dead fishermen from the river.

During the past 20 years that I fished the Yellowstone, in particular, there seem to have been an increase in the number of beavers. Resulting from the reintroduction of wolves? I don’t know. However, they have taken down many of the cottonwood trees along the river’s banks, many of which many have been there for 50 years or longer.

In the short term, that may be good, as some of those felled trees have provided cover for the trout that sheltered behind them. In the longer run, I’m not so sure. One evening, I caught 30 trout below a large cottonwood tree that a beaver had felled in the river earlier that year. I caught a fish on nearly every cast, and I never moved more that a step or two. The following years that cottonwood tree had been washed away by the high spring water, and that particular section of the river was barren of trout.

John

mt_flyfisher wrote:

During the past 20 years that I fished the Yellowstone, in particular, there seem to have been an increase in the number of beavers. Resulting from the reintroduction of wolves?

How would reintroducing wolves result in an increase in the beaver population?

Wolves don't fell trees, lol.

I'm not impressed by the introduction of wolves, big Cats or Grizzly anywhere. There is a reason they aren't around anymore. I'm also not for eradicating them. Leave it be.

You might be interested in this article on How Wolves Change Rivers.

http://esl.fis.edu/Students/support/eng/text/wolfYouTubeTranscript.htm

The area of the Yellowstone that I was referring to is from Gardiner to Livingston, a distance stretching about 54 miles north of Yellowstone National Park. And there are wolves in that entire area, and beyond.

mt_flyfisher wrote:
You might be interested in this article on How Wolves Change Rivers.

http://esl.fis.edu/Students/support/eng/text/wolfYouTubeTranscript.htm

The area of the Yellowstone that I was referring to is from Gardiner to Livingston, a distance stretching about 54 miles north of Yellowstone National Park. And there are wolves in that entire area, and beyond.

^ Now that's interesting!!

It just shows how interconnected the ecosystem is, and what a seemingly minor change or addition to a certain population can have such a far reaching effect on both the flora and fauna of the region.

Back