TFO Professional II or Redington Classic Trout

jifigz

jifigz

I have been trying to figure out what 3 or 4 weight I'm going to buy forever now. First thing is I'm poor, so both of these rods are cheaper at about $150. Which would you favor? Does anyone have any great or terrible interactions with either company? I am sure I would be quite happy with either one, but I still have a hard time choosing. I think that they are both characterized as medium-fast action.

I say go to a shop that carries both and test drive them side by side...

David wrote:
I say go to a shop that carries both and test drive them side by side...

That's great advice but I can't. There are no shops right around me that I know of that have both. In my town there is a Redington dealer and no TFO dealer. There is basically no fly-fishing oriented store in Lewistown area anymore and all the other "outdoor/sportsmen" stores have a LOUSY fly-fishing selection. I don't understand why there isn't a fly oriented store because we have some great water, but there just isn't. I could make the trip to some store, but it will probably be an internet/catalog order.

Go to State College and see what either of those shops have for you to cast. Only you know what you like in fly rod.

That said, I'd recommend the Redington CT.

I think the rods will be similar when casting. Redington may have slightly better fit & finish but TFO warranty is hard to beat.

I've used both the 4wt CT and a 4wt TFO "Finesse," which is supposed to be their most moderate taper, certainly more so than their Professional was.

The TFO was a broomstick. Again, this is from the rod they style as, "gentle presentation" and not their all around Professional.. I cannot imagine how stiffer their bottom priced broomstick must be. It went back and I eventually found a much better rod.

The CT may have been "meh," but that's only because its certainly not as slow as people who fish TFO broomsticks made it out to be. It's certainly a much better rod than the TFO. I didn't keep it, but that's only because it didn't fit the requirements I wanted for it.

I will hit the fly shops of State College but I don't believe that TCO carries either brand and I am not sure about Flyfisher's Paradise. I'll check their website to see what they carry as I have never been in their shop. Are there other fly shops in the area I'm forgetting? We do have a new outdoors store in Mifflin County that carries Redington. And so far it sounds like a unanimous vote for Redington over TFO by you all so far.

jifigz wrote:
I will hit the fly shops of State College but I don't believe that TCO carries either brand and I am not sure about Flyfisher's Paradise. I'll check their website to see what they carry as I have never been in their shop. Are there other fly shops in the area I'm forgetting? We do have a new outdoors store in Mifflin County that carries Redington. And so far it sounds like a unanimous vote for Redington over TFO by you all so far.

Don't just rely on the opinion of others with regard to how a rod casts or feels. It's really an individual thing. With that said, above, Gary gave an honest and learned opinion/assessment on the rods you mentioned to factor into the equation.

Both TCO & FFP are good shops and should have several rods for you to try out. Go there with an open mind and not locked into certain brands or models you've read about. Choose whatever rod works best for you in the price range you have set for yourself.

Buying a new rod should be fun...not a P.I.T.A.! Good luck.

I have fished the CT 3 wt, 8.5 foot. It can't handle fish much over 11 inches very well, yet has enough butt section to cast for for some distance. It does make a 7 inch trout feel like a great fighter for about 6 seconds and the transmission of the feel of the fight is possibly the most I have experienced on any rod. It also has enough stiffness to set the hook but without jerking smallish fish out of the water. I'm pleased with it and it's the only true 3 wt I own, though I have a few 3/4 wts. On any brook trout stream open enough for the 8.5 ft length, this is what I go with.

Just keep in mind that it is a niche tool for smaller fish. With a larger fish hooked it will just be dead weight on the end that you can't budge. I found this out early on a brown trout stream with a couple of fish in deep holes. The fly pulled free on both of them, but if it hadn't the fight would have been more prolonged than I would have wanted as regards fairness to the fish.

A few years ago these were going for $75. There is debate on the net whether the original CT is the same blank as the Tempt/2nd version of the CT. I have no idea about this but fwiw mine is the original CT.

As for any other length or wt in the CT lineup, let's just say you can't assume the whole lineup will feel and perform as well as any one member. That goes for all brands.

I picked up 2 Redington rods at Cabela's Hamburg store in the bargain cave (they still have a bunch of different sizes). Both were the discontinued Voyant model and new condition for $98 each. Past retail price was $190 (Mid-Level rod) for the 7'6" 3-wt and the 9' 6-wt. Fast action with tube.

I do not profess to be a delicate caster and have only tried the 3-wt once at Big Spring. For me it was a good purchase. The price allows for a better quality line to be bought. I can learn to cast it...I am more flexible than my budget.

I already have a 5-wt Pursuit rod which performs almost as well as my $450 St. Croix 6-wt. I bought it for $70 and would purchase another one without hesitation.

I have no experience with TFO rods, but own a BVK II reel.

This is where I'd disagree.
I own the professional 1 and it has a great med fast action. It was my first more exp fly rod. I used it for a couple years caught thousands of trout on it. Handled dinks to 20 inch fish. 7foot 6 3 weight I should add.

Also owned a classic trout via recommendations from Gfen and Kray. Hated the rod and returned it. The rod was a lot stiffer IMO. But was a 9 foot 4 weight I believe.

Also I'd add each rod in any brand lineup has a diff feel. The 76 3 weight feels one way in a pro one and the 9 foot 4 weight in same rod lineup has a diff feel. The only way to see if you like the rod is to cast it. Even if you find a 9 foot 5 weight tfo pro it would almost be worthless to cast because it won't feel like the 3 or 4. You can see the quality of the build though.

I'd go tfo pro. Lastly I'd say you should be able to get the ct or pro a lot cheaper than 150. The ct was discontinued I think I paid 70? Look online and eBay before you buy.

For the record... I did not suggest the Redington. Based on the models, I'm simply saying the components and finish should be a little better but I'm probably comparing it to early TFO models I've handled.

I wasn't a big TFO fan but casting the axiom and bvk has swayed me. Performance = to rods twice the price and $15 warranty that gives you a brand new rod! How can you beat that? If you want some help running down a clearance TFO, let me know.

Andy I was talking about years ago when I was in the market for slower rods. You had sent me a pm with some options and the ct was one. Should've clarified.

I'll blame beer. LOL

Fast tip, medium taper blah blah blah. I have a reddington CT and love it. Cabellas door buster sale this Saturday has the CT selling for 90 bucks marked down from 150.00. I think that's a steal.

Back