TFO Lefty Kreh Signature Rod

• Thread starter blackandgold4ever05
  • Start date
blackandgold4ever05

blackandgold4ever05

Just looking for some opinions about this rod. Thinking about asking for it for Christmas. I am thinking 9 foot, 6 weight for central Pa trout. Thanks for any input.

my opinion... one of the best 100 fly rods

the only thing bad about that line of rods... they are a bit ''broomstick-ish" and only 2pc

TFO is killing it lately. I don't have any info on that series but the Bvk is amazing.

25 dollar no questions return policey no to mention no repairs they just ship a new rod.

I have a TFO TICR rod that I love. Return policy is great, and most of their rods are known for being a bit stiff. But in certain situations that can be a good thing.

I wouldn't hesitate in buying a TFO rod.

I have a TFO TICRx and a Lefty Kreh Pro two-handed rod and love them both. I really like TFO. As a budget rod, it doesn't get much better.

Although, for the region your describing, I'd maybe check out a 4wt instead of a 6wt.

I have a 5 weight now and like it. My buddy said that a 6 weight wouldn't hurt. I mainly fish Penns, Spring Creek, Big Fishing Creek, Elk Creek... Any input on that would be greatly appreciated.

I have used both a 4 and a 6 on some of those streams and genuinely preferred using the 4. It'll be a little easier to mend and you won't need to be throwing a ton of line really far. Most of the places I've fished around central PA I've barely ever gotten into my running line.

That being said, buy what makes you happy.

I think I've heard others say it on this board too but a 9ft 4wt is made for Central PA.

Not in my opinion. 4wts struggle with heavy nymph rigs and good sized streamers. I would say 9 ft 5 and 6wts should be in your arsenal before a wimpy 4wt, unless you are throwing floaters most of the time.

I had a 8' 4wt tfo professional that I recently gave away. Great rod. I took advantage of the warranty twice with no issues.

Thanks for the input guys. I'm still undecided but can tell you that I fish nymphs w/ dropper and split-shot 95% of the time. The other 5 percent is streamers and dry flies. I have been tying soft hackle wets lately and want to incorporate those into my arsenal as well. I think my buddy recommended the 6 weight because I do fish nymphs and streamers so much. He said I could still throw dries with a 6 weight and that would be best for the nymph rigs. Still looking for opinions. Thanks!

I'm with Jay... depends on what you're fishing,

5wt is a nice all around,rod. Doesn't do anything perfect, but nymphs, dries, and streamers can all be done here.

6wt can toss some nice streamers well and nymph pretty good too.

4wt is nice if you want to toss dries.

jayL wrote:
Not in my opinion. 4wts struggle with heavy nymph rigs and good sized streamers. I would say 9 ft 5 and 6wts should be in your arsenal before a wimpy 4wt, unless you are throwing floaters most of the time.

Agreed 100% actually. I was going to put said disclaimer on my post but thought it might have been already understood.

All this being said, TFO makes fine rods.

I have a 9' 4 weight Hydros Tip Flex that is my all around rod for most Pa streams. I nymph 90 % of the time and this rod seems fine. When I need to shoot dries any kind of distance it works excellent. It was $395 on sale so it is more than most TFO's. I have a TFO Professional 5 weight that is also a very good rod for the $.

You can almost get 3 TFO's for $395 and have some cash left over.

I'd take a hydros over 3 tfo signatures 7 days a week, but I also have a bunch of rods already.

jayL wrote:
I'd take a hydros over 3 tfo signatures 7 days a week, but I also have a bunch of rods already.

That's key. I'm slowly moving into that category. Have enough to meet my needs, now I'm looking for quality to slowly replace the "cheap" rods.

However, my 9'8wt TFO TICR rod paired with my Cabela's SR reel is by far my favorite outfit I own right now.

I made that transition over the past year or two. I would've taken 3 cheapies over an awesome rod before then, for sure.

Get they BVK

Back