Tfo clouser rods

T

trike23

Really looking to pick up a new streamer rod with the christmas cash. Ive not been able to find a clouser to cast and cant seem to find info on the action of the rod? I am assuming it is a fast action rod?It would be really nice to have something that could cast the heavy guys with a little more ease. Been tossing around the idea of this rod or redingtons vapen. Did manage to cast the vapen very nice rod for 300 bucks must say. The handle takes a little getting used to though looks wise.

As always thanks for any info. Seriously on a side note this is the most helpful functonal fourm I have ever been part of. Most people get along on here and I really get good honest feedback from all of you who reply to my threads. Even though I may not be the most active member on here its nice to see people help others enjoy fly fishing. Everytime I have a question about something this board is the first place I come to. Merry christmas to all you guys.

You will find this helpful or completely useless....you decide.

I don't streamer fish but guys I fish with do. I swore that I'd try itand ccommitted to get a rod strictly for tossing "junk". I looked at TFO TiCrx, TFO Axiom, Redington Predator and a brief look at the Clouser model. I specifically wanted a stout rod that could handle sink tips. There isn't much in the way of reviews on any of these rods. I called TFO, Redington and Rio to match use, desired feel and line. Narrowed it down to the predator and the axiom. Ended up with the axiom. From what I could find out the predator and axiom were probably the most stout. The fixed is a whisker softer and then 1 step slower with the Clouser. Depends on cast style and desired feel as to which you pick.

Btw, if you do some looking, you can find them on year end sales. Save $50-$100

Basspro typically has a clouser or two in stock. along with the axiom, which is one to look at like Krayfish said.

Since I'm new to tossing meat on a "meat specific" rod, learning on the fly. One thing you might not have factored in was needing a line for one of the rods listed above. Sink tip, floating or full sink? If getting a sink tip, do you need a 7' type 3 or a 30' type 6? What species will you target? What type of flies will you be throwing (weighted, unweighted, bass bugs)? How deep or how fast is the water you look to fish?

Don't know the answers to some / most of those questions. I got a crazy good deal on line so I snagged a 15' sink tip in both type 3 & 6. Not to sure which will be better suited so I'll have to wait for spring to tell. If you are tossing floating flies, a magnum taper, bass taper or shooting head might be best.

If you are not a strong caster / can properly load a rod / haul and shoot line, you will want to consider overlining the rod to make casting easier.

This streamer stuff is more complicated that I anticipated. Dry fly stuff is so much easier. Lol.

Being pretty new to single hand streamer fishing as well I have to agree yes it is complicated. I honestly must admit sink tips never really crossed my mind. I mostly plan to fish floating lines with moderatly to heavy weighted flies sizes 4 to 10. I dont think most of the places I fish for trout will demand a sinking line. But being versitile is always a good thing.

As far as fish species while trout remain my first love I fish for everything that swims. My brother is into the whole bass scene pretty big so I was thinking about annoying him with my fly rod on some smallmouth fishing with this rod as well. Like I said something that is versitile is important.

The biggest thing holding me up on making a decision is I always like to use the lightest weight rod possible. I really dont want to use a 7wt or 8wt for average size trout. That is why I am in the market for a specific streamer rod. Truth be told I am not totally sure how much different a 6wt streamer rod is going to be from a normal fast action 6wt. Thats why I really wanted to cast most of these rods but the driving that would require would make this rod way to expensive. So I am somewhat flying by the seat of my pants. Also complicating things is all The different opinions on the best rod actions for casting weighted streamers.

Its not complicated, been using streamers for over 40 years. just get a 9' medium action 6 wt. and go fish. that's what I have been using for years..

If you've already got a fairly fast action / tip flex 6 wt, you should be in business with a floating line set up. Where you might start to see a noticeable differences is with big flies and / or sinking lines. For many years, I tossed #4 sculpins with 2 bb shot using a 7'6".3 weight. It can be done.....you can also dig the hole for a inground pool with a serving spoon but why would you if there are better options available?

I have a Clouser 8wt rod & an 8wt TiCR X that I use for my bass fishing & steelheading in Erie. I have been told the Clouser rod is basically a TiCR X with a different cork and different color scheme. They are both fast-action rods. I throw both with an 8wt Clouser bass taper line, but I also have a Rio Versi-tip setup that I use from time to time when I want some extra weight to get the fly down. I've never fished either in a 6wt, but I would think they would accomplish what you're looking for. I have a Redington 6wt CPS that I also throw with a Clouser 6wt line. It doesn't throw the bigger flies as easily, but is still a fun rod to fish.

Back