TFO BVK 10ft 4wt

kobalt335

kobalt335

I just got a TFO BVK 10ft 4 wt and I am looking for a good reel to pair it with. Right now the only reel I have is the Orvis Access III which balances my 5wt Access rod great, but I feel that it is a little much for the 4wt. If anyone has used the TFO, and suggestions on a reel and line would be great. Thanks in advance!

If you want the rod and reel to balance, you'll probably need a heavier reel. If you don't care if the rod is "tip heavy", than you can go with a smaller reel.

Preferably I would rather have a nice balance.

Try adding some lead core line under your backing until you get the right balance. Worked for my Orvis Batterkill Large Arbor II and my 11' 3 wt Streamflex setup.

Try the access iii and go lighter or heavier from there. You may just have to buy new line instead of a new reel.

I tried the Access III and it still is a little tip heavy for me. I am thinking about getting the Allen Trout 2, but I'm unsure of what line. I like the Rio Euro Nymph line, but I want this rod to be able to cast dries in a pinch, instead of being a one trick pony. So I will probably end up with a standard WFF.

The Hardy Ultralite DD is currently on sale for less than $200, the Allen Trout 2 is a nice reel for the money too.

+1 to weighting the reel to balance the rod. I fish a lot of longer rods 10' and 11' switches.

I often choose a reel a size bigger than the recommended and/or weight the spool by putting lead tape on the spool before spinning on the backing.

I keep cutting the length of lead tape down until it's the proper weight to balance out the rod. I wrap it around the spool and spin on my backing over it. You can purchase the flat lead tape at any golf shop or sporting goods store that sells golf equipment.

Lead Tape

Back