Tfo 5 wt switch rod review.

B

brookiesofpa

Just thought I would drop a line on the results of my playing with my new tfo 5wt 11"switch rod.
With the 300 grain scandi line which is similar to a 8/9 wt line it will toss a #8 muddler 70 feet no problem. The line has a long fine taper so it lands like a 6 wt line, presentation is acceptable for nymphing, larger drys. I have tried it with a 10 floating and 3.5 sink rate leader of 10 foot with 3-5 feet of tippet. You can get 80 to 85 feet casts if your timing is correct. With smaller weighted streamers size 8 65-75 feet is what it will do. The line doesn't do so well in a stiff breeze. The key I have found with this rod is to power down and slow down your cast. With this scandi line you will only need to be 4 or 5 feet from brush behind you to do a long cast. The line won't mend past 25 feet as the head is only 23 or 24 feet long. Not much of a problem swinging streamers.
I also have a 350 grain skagit line. I have casted it with floating, 3.5 and 7 in sink rate leaders 10 feet with 3-5 feet of tippet. Be careful when casting skagit with a floating leader as it will rip you anchor off the water and a #6 weighted muddler really hurts your arm/head when it hits it. (voice of experience). With a moderate to fast sinking leader and a # 6 heavy dressed muddler with marabou it will cast 50 to 65 feet in a stiff (weather man said 18-20 mph) breeze. With no breeze 80 foot is not a problem with correct timing of casting. You will need almost no backcast room with this line. I had some SMB flies I use with medium lead eyes and dressed in marabou size 6. 70-80 feet casts are not difficult. This line hits the water too hard for dry flies but for swinging big stuff for big trout/Smallmouth bass it will work great. Caught more foot ball shaped bluegill on the muddlers/small streamers than I can count and 4 bass one of which was a solid 2 pounder and the rod just does great.
So if you want to use a larger rod for larger water like the upper D( I think it would work great from a drift boat) you will be happy with this one. It is also offered in a 4 wt if you want to go lighter yet, I bought the 5 cause the rod will double duty trout on Oil Creek in the spring and Smallies on French creek during the summer. The rod has a great warranty.Iif you must false cast the rod will work great with a line in the 7-8 wt size it is a medium action.

The main reason I bought this rod is needing just little more distance for smallies and I got tired of fishing my hand tied streamers out of the brush behind me

Brookie,
this line will swing very well at warren on the Kinzua Tailwater. I dont use switch rods but am thinking of building one though a Sage Z Axis 11' 5 weight switch. I already use a G Loomis Streamdance Metolius Trout Spey 13'4" 5/6 an it is a great tool for certain conditions.
Congrats now i want to see some pics of that sucker bent an with a nice Trout laying beside it. Go Get You Some
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace

Lonewolve wrote:
Brookie,
this line will swing very well at warren on the Kinzua Tailwater. I dont use switch rods but am thinking of building one though a Sage Z Axis 11' 5 weight switch. I already use a G Loomis Streamdance Metolius Trout Spey 13'4" 5/6 an it is a great tool for certain conditions.
Congrats now i want to see some pics of that sucker bent an with a nice Trout laying beside it. Go Get You Some
Rick Wallace
Kinzua is at a perfect level right now and I would love to be swinging a articulated streamer through there right now....Got nursing school now :( Studying Cardiac, Heart failure and diuretic meds for a exam on Monday. What size of line do you use on your 13'4" 5/6? The TFo is maxed out I think at 350 grains. After May 12 I am a free man till Aug when class starts again.
P.s. you are right Rick, the rod is another tool to enjoy catching trout/smallies. Works great for ponds where ya have 0 backcast room too. (Pond near house will have to do till I am done w classes)

Brookie keep in touch pm me yer # ill give ya a call maybe we can meet up up there an swing in some brutes.
I use a Rio Windcutter spey 5/6 although i think its a lil much so i went an got a Rio Windcutter 4/5 an think that will be a whisker better, so far the Trout spey has caught many Smallies, Shad, and of course Brook Brown and Rainbow Trout, its a great tool, I have been using it more on medium to large rivers an creeks the past couple years .
Tfo for being Korean made makes some really great stuff, i especially like their Kinney/Meiser Deer Creek Spey Rods and Deer Creek Switch Rods.
I also use a bunch of Airflo Poly Leaders in different densities.
hey an go kick some butt at school, have another buddy that is goin for nurse practioner degree he is already a nurse, he might even tag along .
Rick Wallace
BTW the next state record musky is most definitely going to come out from the Kizua reservoir for sure.thats my prediction

Back