Terrestrials

boychick wrote:
Daman - Afish,

Thank you for the info. I would have thought terrestrials would be done by now, I'll be sure to have a few in my box this weekend! I appreciate the help.

-B
Just a little tip. Fish with them during the warmest part of the day when the naturals are most active.

I'll second Afish's and WildTigerTrout's posts above.

Mid to late fall is a very under appreciated time to use terrestrials IMO. Moreover, they work especially well on selective risers that, in the springtime, might have required a close imitation. In my experience, this time of year, you can often catch trout that are sipping some small aquatic insect by offering them a beetle or ant. After the summer, they just seem to have terrestrials imprinted in their mind and, although they might be feeding on midges or BWO emergers, they can't resist an ant or small cricket. If you find a selective fish sipping some little mystery stuff and he ignores your efforts to match the hatch.....show him a small terrestrial (I really like a small hornet this time of year). It doesn't always work of course, but often that terrestrial will get eaten.

A hornet, that's interesting. I'd love to see that pattern. What other terestrials would you guys consider using? I was thinking about tying a few crickets tonight. Thanks again.

-B

I was fishing the East Branch of the Perk this morning for stockies but, figured why not. Didn't catch much other than panfish but, I did see a fee yellow jackets in the water. I guess because the rain was off and on they got caught out and couldn't fly away.

I almost wanted to follow one down the creek to see if it would get taken. It got me thinking - I guess the stinger doesn't effect the fish? I was fishing a beetle for awhile with no luck than switched to an ant with an olive, bead head nymph below. Once I switched the panfish were all over it but, I was after the stockies. Still fun though.

EVO when did they stock east branch again I love it in the spring but they didn't do the spring stock

after reading about beetles and ants i buy some and they work good because i caught some trouts. i am going to fish them more now that i know they work and what they are.

A black or brown foam ant from size sixteen down as far as you can stand it......26? as soon as you stop hearing crickets and katy dids in the eve change to something else.

Hey, maybe something like this guy would bring out some of those big brownies. You guys that can't deal with tying those size 26 ants could probably get away with tying these on a size 6 or 8, 4 XL hook. For the folks who really love to tie very realistic imitations, finding something to imitate those fancy big back legs would be a great challenge. Fish them through a meadow or areas with fairly high grass along the stream banks on a breezy fall afternoon.

Attachments

• Big Hopper.jpg
    Big Hopper.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 2
Speaking of hoppers and crickets, don't hesitate to fish em in size 16,18 they're still small, even now.

I finally caught one on parachute black ant, went one day, got five takes, but for some reason I couldn't set the hook. went back the next day, caught a really nice brown for where I fish. I got so excited, I practically screamed in victory. I need to get back, haven't got a chance to fish for a while, schools been tough. I need to try the beetle as well, they seem very popular. I get so excited watching the trout take the dry flies, can't wait to get back!

Two of my favorite flies during the summer months are ants and beetles. You don't have to sit and wait for the hatch because "The hatch is always on"! ;-)

Haha so true, talking to one of my friends, he was explaining why he uses ants. He said "well... their EVERYWHERE". I guess you can't go wrong with them :D

Back