Terrestrial fishing what X leader are you using small stream

scs_browntrout

scs_browntrout

Hi looking for a tip or two I have both a 9' and 7 1/2 I want to start terrestrial fishing.

Thanks

Tippet size? I typically use 4x for my small stream applications. Those fish aren’t leader shy typically.

I pretty much always use 5x tippet for terrestrial fishing.
Occasionally I'll go to 6x in low, crystal clear water conditions.

As for leader length - that depends on the stream size.
On waterways the size of Spring and Fishing creeks, I go with 9 feet.
Switching to 7.5 feet on the smallest water

With 9' Leaders what is a typical scenario? What weight and what length of tippet?

Start with a 12 ft tapered to 4x leader then add 30 inches of 5 x or even 6x. Talking for bigger streams.

Thats long. Are you wading or boating with that long leader/tippet. Sounds less invasive and quieter than my setup.

Leader specs can really vary for me as I use some big terrestrials.

For big flies like hoppers on small wild trout streams, I'd agree with Swattie.

If the stream is "technical" (that is to say it has selective fish that are hard to catch - think Slate Run or Clarks Creek) I'm likely using very small ants or inchworms and fishing a long length of 5X or 6X.

(I rarely use 7X for any application and have not tied it on in years)

Baron wrote:
With 9' Leaders what is a typical scenario? What weight and what length of tippet?

I tie my own leaders.
And finish all of them off with 24 - 30 inches of 5x.
So, my 9 ft leader measures out that length including the 5x.
If I do want to go down to 6x, I'll cut back on the 5x some, before tying it on.

Most of my terrestrial fishing is done in summer and fall - when the streams are typically low and clear. Hence the lighter tippet

First, what is a "small" stream?

To me, small is a place where I am typically fishing a short rod for not-so-selective fish. At those places I rarely fish a terrestrial because the fish will take just about anything so I can get away with stuff I can see versus an ant or beetle which is hard to follow.

That being said, most of my terrestrial fishing is done on more average sized streams and at those placese when fishing a beetle, ant, bee or inchworm pattern, I have MUCH better luck using 7X and even 8X for fussy fish.

I also get a better beetle "splat" with 7X.

I also like LONG leaders, maybe 14 feet or longer.

The exception is the Letort where I never use anything smaller than 6X because 7X has caused me to lose some nice fish.

Well Gentlemen I asked this because I wan to maintain the "Splat" but for the fly only. Right now the whole rig splats. Since I fish in lilies I rarely use tippet smaller than 3x. Looks like it may be helpful to rethink this.
Thanks for splain'in.

Stopping your forward cast abruptly and pulling back slightly so the fly "flips over"abruptly will aid the splat regardless of the tippet size.

Lighter tippets just magnify that but I wouldn't go light in weeds for obvious reasons.

Perhaps I need to cast in an open area and practice this. I would scare less fish if the fly went splat and the line settled nicely.
Thanks for the tip.

"Small stream" to me, means a waterway that I can practically jump across at spots.
For example - Logan Branch and Buffalo run, which are tribs of Spring Creek in Centre county.

Also FWIW:
I consider Spring Creek and Fishing Creek medium size streams.
Little Juniata and Penns large water.

I fish terrestrials on small streams too - because they work well, and I like the idea of plopping them into low clear pools.
Really cool to see the wake of a fish charging a beetle pattern.

But I do use more conventional attractors in higher flows

Thank you for all the replies! I’m going with a 5x and work it from there.

Baron wrote:

Well Gentlemen I asked this because I wan to maintain the "Splat" but for the fly only. Right now the whole rig splats. Since I fish in lilies I rarely use tippet smaller than 3x. Looks like it may be helpful to rethink this.

Perhaps I need to cast in an open area and practice this. I would scare less fish if the fly went splat and the line settled nicely.
Thanks for the tip.

I agree it's likely your casting and not your leader/tippet choice.

I will guess you are stopping your rod low on the forward cast and driving / crashing your line and leader onto the surface.

Make your stop on your forward cast with your rod higher (10 o'clock).

The line and leader should straighten out in the air above the water surface and gently descend onto the water.

Also after the stop and the leader straightening lower your rod to follow the line/leader onto the water.

scs_browntrout wrote:
Thank you for all the replies! I’m going with a 5x and work it from there.

I think that is reasonable. I can't say I see the need for tippet lighter than 6x except for a few cases where midges, tricos, or blue quills were on the menu. My current spool of 7x has some serious age on it and i don't know that I would trust it now. In the meantime, I've burned through hundreds of yards of 4x and 5x. Usually the solution to catching fussy fish is longer tippet, not light tippet.

PennKev wrote:
My current spool of 7x has some serious age on it and i don't know that I would trust it now. In the meantime, I've burned through hundreds of yards of 4x and 5x. Usually the solution to catching fussy fish is longer tippet, not light tippet.

Good advice. A longer leader/tippet is a pain in the butt, but sometimes it's what's need to catch fish.

I'm the same way with my 6x spool...It's old and I can't really remember the last time I used it. I think fishing small BWO nymphs on the Tully a few years ago maybe? Not sure I'd trust it. It's at least several years old. I don't bother with anything smaller than 6x. If it requires something smaller/lighter than that, I'm probably not all that interested in fishing in those conditions.

4x is by far the spool of tippet I burn through the fastest and replace the most. At least a 2:1 ratio more than any others. Then 3x (streamers or tapering down) and 5x are next at about an equal rate. I carry some 2x for WW or big water Trout streamer fishing, and that gets replaced far more often than the 6x even.

Depends on application.
Generally 4x.
Sometimes 5x.

I never use 6x.

Go to 5x fcarbon for a smaller diameter on foam beetles if needed. The big floating fly keeps it from sinking.

I have good luck with this and rarely if ever break off a fish. Large fish hit violently to terrestrials. Screw 6x IMO.

Is tippet material thinner for the same strength and is standard mono line.

Baron wrote:
Is tippet material thinner for the same strength and is standard mono line.

Yes, but it is mostly due to the quality of most tippet materials from most major fly fishing brands compared to the quality of a spool of Stren or Trilene at wally world

There are many quality spinning/casting mono and fluorocarbon lines available that are fine stand ins for "tippet material" but they are almost always double or triple the price of a similar sized spool of the general sporting goods department lines.

Good mono is good mono regardless of how it is packaged. The same is true of fluoro. The problems come when folks buy the cheapest available and expect great results.

The one other consideration is that many of the spinning/casting lines are formulated for specific characteristics that may or may not make for great tippet and leader material. The chief concern being stiffness.

Back