Tell people where your going

I think the only way anyone would know about me is, in time, look for the circling turkey vultures!
1 alone.
Syl

InReach with rescue plan. Clipped to waders all the time now. New iphone looks to have something similar.

I just had an issue with a large piece of granite shifting when I was coming out of the water. Beat the hell out of my leg but very easily could have shift and trapped my foot/leg. I was 2.5 miles from anything.

As mentioned, the Topo Maps+ app does exactly that. You do need to download locations you'll be in. No cell service needed otherwise, it works off of a GPS satellite, not a cell tower.

GPS helps you know where YOU are at. It does nothing to help others know where you are at if you don't have a way to communicate that info (i.e. a working cell tower in reach with a data plan on your phone). The only way to do this in areas without cell service is with a device that transmits via satellite, like Garmin InReach.

Life360 won't do squat in Hammersley, except at the Ford parking lot and downstream from there, where a bit of cell signal bleeds through.

Just saw that the new IPhone 14 will have a SOS function that will allow a satellite link to transmit data in case of an emergency. They did say a clear line of sight to the open sky is needed so I am not sure how it would work in the valleys of the PA north woods.....

Back