Tell people where your going

C

chadm

This is just a reminder if your going out fishing especially in remote spots let someone know where you are and where you are headed. If something happens this could save a few hours to days of searching for you. This could save your life.

I have a tracking app on my phone (Life360). With one click my wife can find me anywhere and I can do the same for her location. If something happens to me I (my phone anyway) can be located in an emergency. It's really better than saying I'll be fishing Big Trout Creek above the bridge on Brook Trout Road.

I have a tracking app on my phone (Life360). With one click my wife can find me anywhere and I can do the same for her location. If something happens to me I (my phone anyway) can be located in an emergency. It's really better than saying I'll be fishing Big Trout Creek above the bridge on Brook Trout Road.
I'm 72 and still hunt the blue lines. I prefer to fish them by myself. Foolhardy? Perhaps. I remember a hand painted sign on the upper part of Young Woman's Creek that read something like, "Here's the spot where _____ died doing what he loved to do." Regardless, I do drop my son a location pin when I head into the woods alone. Do the tracking apps work where there's no cell service.? I'm thinking of the Hammersley Wild Area and sections of the Kettle and Pine Creek watersheds.

I'm 72 and still hunt the blue lines. I prefer to fish them by myself. Foolhardy? Perhaps. I remember a hand painted sign on the upper part of Young Woman's Creek that read something like, "Here's the spot where _____ died doing what he loved to do." Regardless, I do drop my son a location pin when I head into the woods alone. Do the tracking apps work where there's no cell service.? I'm thinking of the Hammersley Wild Area and sections of the Kettle and Pine Creek watersheds.
the police can ping your phone if you have service and the phone is on. I do not know about the tracking apps.

Having the location of your car and a general area allows search and rescue to start there search. With out a car you might have police looking for your car or your car might get reported a day later for overnight parking. I’m involved in search and rescue and often we go on searches where they are reported missing but car isn’t located for 2-3 days so already way behind the 8 ball on hopefully having a positive outcome.

Last Friday night, while fishing the tailwater section of the Codorus Creek, I got stuck wading in a bed of cress grass and deep silt. I eventually managed to get myself unstuck, but it made me realize that I probably should have told my wife where I would be fishing…

Do the tracking apps work where there's no cell service.? I'm thinking of the Hammersley Wild Area and sections of the Kettle and Pine Creek watersheds.
My Topo Maps+ app works in the Hammersley Wild Area, as it is GPS oriented. No cell service required. Tracking apps would use GPS as well.

My Topo Maps+ app works in the Hammersley Wild Area, as it is GPS oriented. No cell service required. Tracking apps would use GPS as well.
Did you purchase the premium plan?

Did you purchase the premium plan?
No, I have the basic Topo Maps+ app. It has worked on my most remote streams without issue. I use it all the time and love it. Nice to know where you are on streams that are miles in length.

Thanks. Just downloaded the app.

Your location may work on the mapping apps when you have downloaded the area of interest. I am not aware of any app that would allow your phones GPS location to be transmitted when out of cell service

360 does not work if you're not within cell service.

I am not aware of any app that would allow your phones GPS location to be transmitted when out of cell service
As mentioned, the Topo Maps+ app does exactly that. You do need to download locations you'll be in. No cell service needed otherwise, it works off of a GPS satellite, not a cell tower.

As mentioned, the Topo Maps+ app does exactly that. You do need to download locations you'll be in. No cell service needed otherwise, it works off of a GPS satellite, not a cell tower.
Like any of the mapping services all trails, onx, huntstand etc you can see your GPS location on a downloaded map, however I am not aware that your phones locations can be transmitted to other users when you do not have cell service. That is the issue being discussed here. You may not be lost and can see your location, but if others can't see your location, a search party doesn't know where to look.

Yo Hoover, I know that mud and it can be scary especially if you're stuck and fall forward

... however I am not aware that your phones locations can be transmitted to other users when you do not have cell service.
Now I see what you're referring to. I doubt that can happen. Just let folks know the stream you'll be on, and when you're expected to return. That takes care of that snag.

Like any of the mapping services all trails, onx, huntstand etc you can see your GPS location on a downloaded map, however I am not aware that your phones locations can be transmitted to other users when you do not have cell service. That is the issue being discussed here. You may not be lost and can see your location, but if others can't see your location, a search party doesn't know where to look.
So it’s funny I posted this today cause I just read it now seems like the new IPhone 14 will allow Emergency satellite communication.

I've always fished alone. I'm frequently in remote locations and rarely in cell phone range. I have a MS Word document with directions and a GPS target for every stream I fish. I leave them tacked to a bulletin board with a note with my expected return time.

FWIW: carry a whistle with you. GG

Back