Tarpon. The documentary.

BrookieChaser

BrookieChaser

In my recent "beach bum" state of mind, I ran across "Tarpon" the documentary. It was filmed in the '70's in Key West, FL. Jim Harrison, Tom McGuane and Richard Brautigan(sp?) are the key characters. Jimmy Buffett did the music. It showed some places and people mentioned in Buffett music ("Last Mango in Paris"... for any Parrotheads). As well as Key West at the time.

I was surprised at the shots that were possible back then, the gear they were using, how they fished from the boats and the respect they showed for the tarpon (the "shark killer" appeared to be a psychopath).

I'd recommend this film to anyone interested in saltwater fly fishing or fly fishing in general.

I'll second this... great film with great characters. It's incredible to see them land some of those tarpon with the gear (and short shorts) they were using.

Awesome film with true innovators. That scene must've been so fun to be a part of... breaking new ground like they did.

I forgot to add in my original post, this documentary is available on dvd. Midcurrent printed it on dvd. The trailer is on YouTube.

Back